• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Chris Kreider to 7-Year/$45.5 M Extension; $6.5M AAV

Phil

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can’t believe Gorton caved on this guy.

How the fuck do you give a guy 7 years at 29?

There is no logic to this.

Undoubtedly there’s trade protection too.

Here we are saddled with another contract on a player who won’t be worth what their paying him at a point where he has years left on his deal and they likely won’t be able to move him.

Hate it

Not the worst case scenario, but not in love with it either. Kreider's gotta be more like "last two months" Kreider than "last five years" Kreider to make this feel worth it. Gotta deliver at least 300 points over the deal to make that "worth it".

Who's the cap casualty?

They're going to have to delete somebody else, now, or pull a rabbit out of their hat. Have to pay the piper at some point.

I wouldn't mind them moving Skjei, and there are teams looking for defensive depths. Also, I cont see Lemeuix getting a raise above what he is at now. Im hoping they can get ADA on a cheap deal for a year, and then either move or pay him next summer once Hank and Staal are off the books. Fast and Strome are the only 2 they need to really figure out now how to fit in. Storm I also wouldn't mind on a cheap 1 year deal like ADA.

I'm in the minority here, but I don't mind this deal. I was fine at $6.5M for the cap hit. Losing him was going to leave a huge hole on the top line. I think with him and Z together for years to come, they are both going to benefit from each other. The 7 years is a little long, would have preferred 6, but it keeps the cap hit down, so to me, it is what it is.

I'll go on record too saying that I don't mind the deal. Not crazy about the 7th year, but for that cap hit, I can rationalize it as the cost of doing business. As long as they didn't do something stupid like give him a full NMC, and his production/play doesn't fall off a cliff immediately like Girardi & Staal's did, I think this contract may even be considered value in 3-4 years when they are competing and forward contracts inflate in value.

Edit- Cap Friendly is say Modified NTC with Kreider submitting 11 teams.

The legs will go and the way he plays erodes ability.

And now who goes as a result of this?

Most players will tell you the hands go first, but he's never been a guy with hands. So that's not an aspect of his game that will wear away too much.

He plays a simple game. He just needs to keep his speed, size, and stay healthy. I think this will be a fine contract for at least 4 years, if not more.

If krieder gives you 5 or 6 years of 25ish goals, isn’t it worth it?

Yes. I don't have much problem with this contract. 6.5M is a great AAV. That's absolutely nothing when the cap is probably up close to 100 million in another 5 years.

Preferably, I would have traded him and signed him in the summer for the same thing. Especially with Shesterkin now out. But that must not have been an option, or the Rangers didn't want to take the risk of losing him on this deal. They were also probably getting pretty shitty offers. A 1st and a C prospect isn't enough.