• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Would You Consider a Successful Trade Deadline Day for Gorton and the Rangers?

Flynn

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta admit...I didn't see the Skjei trade coming...So that was a pleasant surprise. I really didn't think he's garner us a #1, but now I don't feel so bad.

I didn't mind Skjei, but he was a bit of a project and thought he'd be fairly serviceable one day.

We cleared out some cap moving his deal, which is nice and now we have some breathing room. That #1 is going to be welcome come draft day.

I got my #1...I'm a lot happier.

Pronman's mid-season ranking has 8 centers and 6 wings in the top 20. https://theathletic.com/1562467/2020/01/29/pronman-ranking-the-2020-nhl-draft-top-prospects-at-midseason/ There's a lot of forward talent to choose from this time around.

I'm a bit torn here because the top 10 in this draft is really good.

But at the same time there's a big part of me that want to see draft capital used to get an NHL ready player, or even a really good young player with a couple of seasons of experience. The decision to re-sign Kreider just accelerated the need to be good in the immediate future.

But at the same time there's a big part of me that want to see draft capital used to get an NHL ready player, or even a really good young player with a couple of seasons of experience. The decision to re-sign Kreider just accelerated the need to be good in the immediate future.

You looking trade the first two picks this coming draft

I'm really surprised they re-signed Kreider. I still don't know about that, but the number isn't terrible right now.

The Skjei trade surprised me but makes the Kreider signing make a lot more sense.

Sign ADA plz.

his contract is a year too long ,but he could of gotten more money in the open market ,I am happy he is here

I see a lot of opportunities to add. Looks like they have the money to sign all of Deangelo/Strome/Lemieux/Fast, even if it all has to be another year of bridge stuff for three of them.

They have (2) 3rds, one of which could be easily attached to Smith to clear that up and save a couple million.

Then they have (2) 1sts. One of which could be dealt to add immediate help where they think they need it.

That doesn't even account for Hank/Georgiev. They're either freeing up more cap if Hank goes away, or, getting something useful via Georgiev.

That they were able to get a 1st for Skjei changes everything. I've been harsh on Gorton lately, but he went a long way to sorting shit out yesterday.

One would hope, that's a very optimistic outlook.

I used to feel that way and then Chytil didn't have a great 2nd year... Then Andersson, then Kravtsov stumbled... Then Kakko wasn't great either.

I don't buy players automatically getting better anymore.

It's nice when they do, but it's not automatic.

Miller's lack of development might be the most concerning to some who had him pegged as a future all-star.

One would hope, that's a very optimistic outlook.

I used to feel that way and then Chytil didn't have a great 2nd year... Then Andersson, then Kravtsov stumbled... Then Kakko wasn't great either.

I don't buy players automatically getting better anymore.

It's nice when they do, but it's not automatic.

I mean we're still talking about teenagers here. Chtyil has been visibly much better than last season and has equaled his production from last year. He is still only 20. Kakko is an 18 (now 19) year old rookie. I know we haven't seen it here in forever, but they are doing just fine. When CK and Bread are 30, all the current babies, Chytil (22), Kakko (20), Lindgren (24), and Fox (24) will be the perfect age. You talked the whole Kreider thread about how all the data says he's gonna decline. That same data say these kids are still climbing to their peak.

I see a lot of opportunities to add. Looks like they have the money to sign all of Deangelo/Strome/Lemieux/Fast, even if it all has to be another year of bridge stuff for three of them.

They have (2) 3rds, one of which could be easily attached to Smith to clear that up and save a couple million.

Then they have (2) 1sts. One of which could be dealt to add immediate help where they think they need it.

That doesn't even account for Hank/Georgiev. They're either freeing up more cap if Hank goes away, or, getting something useful via Georgiev.

That they were able to get a 1st for Skjei changes everything. I've been harsh on Gorton lately, but he went a long way to sorting shit out yesterday.

The worst thing that happened to the Rangers yesterday wasn't even his fault. lol But yeah, getting a first for Brady was very surprising. I was thinking maybe a second rounder at best. Even if the pick isn't that high, another first rounder in this draft is a good thing.

You looking trade the first two picks this coming draft

Not necessarily both. Although, as always, it comes down to the return if they traded both picks for a player.

I was thinking more in terms of packaging one pick to do something like the Trouba deal, and make a pick with the other.

I think I'd lean towards that rather than packing both to move up a few spots.

I mean we're still talking about teenagers here. Chtyil has been visibly much better than last season and has equaled his production from last year. He is still only 20. Kakko is an 18 (now 19) year old rookie. I know we haven't seen it here in forever, but they are doing just fine. When CK and Bread are 30, all the current babies, Chytil (22), Kakko (20), Lindgren (24), and Fox (24) will be the perfect age. You talked the whole Kreider thread about how all the data says he's gonna decline. That same data say these kids are still climbing to their peak.
The point I'm making is that if you think the Rangers are going to be in their Cup window next year, I don't agree.

When they are, in 3ish years... What's Kreider going to be?

Chytil is clearly the most improved of all the youngsters. His puck handling, one on one puck battle level and his vision on ice have really gone up to the rookie we saw last year. When he starts getting more time on ice with competitive wingers and gets better on faceoffs, he's going to be a force out there.

Miller's lack of development might be the most concerning to some who had him pegged as a future all-star.
I'm curious about what the hell is going on in Wisconsin generally. How do you add Caufield and Turcotte and the take a quantum step backwards as a team?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Pronman's mid-season ranking has 8 centers and 6 wings in the top 20. https://theathletic.com/1562467/2020/01/29/pronman-ranking-the-2020-nhl-draft-top-prospects-at-midseason/ There's a lot of forward talent to choose from this time around.

Another player out of the draft with elite talent and a potentially high ceiling is really the thing they need the most.

I?ve been happy they?ve been winning, but at the same time I was hoping that they?d trade Kreider and struggle post-deadline to give them better odds in the lottery.

This is the draft to get it in

With 2 1sts and some young assets to trade, it?s possible they put together a package that allows them to move up.

But oh my, that?s gonna be very expensive and it?s hard to find a partner.

They tried that in 2017. It didn?t work.

The point I'm making is that if you think the Rangers are going to be in their Cup window next year, I don't agree.

When they are, in 3ish years... What's Kreider going to be?

I don't think they are next year. My original post clearly said next year was another year of growth, one in which the get their first taste of the playoffs if they don't make it this year. 21/22, when all the dead weight/money is off the books, CK and Bread are 30 still productive and they're making noise in the playoffs.

I'm curious about what the hell is going on in Wisconsin generally. How do you add Caufield and Turcotte and the take a quantum step backwards as a team?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Granato has the wrong approach. He's recruiting one and done type high octane prospects.

Just take a look at Cornell's roster, it's the polar opposite, but they're mature, and play their system and win.

Another player out of the draft with elite talent and a potentially high ceiling is really the thing they need the most.

I’ve been happy they’ve been winning, but at the same time I was hoping that they’d trade Kreider and struggle post-deadline to give them better odds in the lottery.

This is the draft to get it in

With 2 1sts and some young assets to trade, it’s possible they put together a package that allows them to move up.

But oh my, that’s gonna be very expensive and it’s hard to find a partner.

They tried that in 2017. It didn’t work.

From what I've read, everyone in this draft bar Lafreniere is going to need some time to marinate before becoming legit NHL contributors.

I'm not sure packaging assets to move up and pick a guy who's going to need 3 years at least to be a difference maker is the right move anymore.

I think they'll be better off using some, if not all, of that capital to get a guy who can contribute now and is about to take the next step.

I don't think they are next year. My original post clearly said next year was another year of growth, one in which the get their first taste of the playoffs if they don't make it this year. 21/22, when all the dead weight/money is off the books, CK and Bread are 30 still productive and they're making noise in the playoffs.

Your post said "they're automatically better next year".

CK turns 30 next April.

Panarin is younger than CK.

The math isn't adding up..?

From what I've read, everyone in this draft bar Lafreniere is going to need some time to marinate before becoming legit NHL contributors.

I'm not sure packaging assets to move up and pick a guy who's going to need 3 years at least to be a difference maker is the right move anymore.

I think they'll be better off using some, if not all, of that capital to get a guy who can contribute now and is about to take the next step.

If they can make a move like that and it doesn’t create other holes, I don’t see the issue with having another top tier prospect in the system even if he’s 2-3 seasons away from making an impact.

There’s not a particular rush.

And if having that player sets them up for the next 5-10 years, it’s a fair trade off

Moving up to get a guy doesn’t necessarily prevent them from improving the NHL roster

But I’d be ok with the other route too

It's a pivotal question, both philosophically and practically. I have been and remain in the "window opens in 21-22" school of thought. If you trade up for a significant talent that takes 3 years from June to deliver, they're still present in the heart of the window. The alternative draft strategy is to just pick as well as you can and hope they blossom, while trying to add more ready - but likely lower upside - pieces. Our draft history and the Lias disaster suggest the latter. The desire for more transformative talent suggests the former.

I agree with some of this, however considering that we basically lost Lias and have no forward depth in the pipe, you can't really afford to just pause on the farm system. I'm not saying anything revolutionary, but you still have to balance tomorrow with today.

I agree with some of this, however considering that we basically lost Lias and have no forward depth in the pipe, you can't really afford to just pause on the farm system. I'm not saying anything revolutionary, but you still have to balance tomorrow with today.

Agreed, which is why I’m saying I’d probably package 1 of the picks to make a Trouba style deal, and make a pick with the other.