• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Would You Consider a Successful Trade Deadline Day for Gorton and the Rangers?

Flynn

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they got the consensus best player available today I'm not sure how that's not an overall win. Maybe a year or two long on the deal because it runs out until he's 35/36. At the same time they're paying Bread 11.6M per year until he's 35/36 and that's just fine?.

Plus JD says we have a plan :)

It was a clear direction. It just wasn't the one you wanted.

Signing Kreider and trading for a first are the same direction?

Kreider contract will be done by the time that kid sees the nhl.

Even as a straight cap dump, they should have gotten an asset that could help within the next 5 seasons, which is the current window with Panarin, Kreider, Zibanejad and Trouba.

Even as a straight cap dump, they should have gotten an asset that could help within the next 5 seasons, which is the current window with Panarin, Kreider, Zibanejad and Trouba.

I've heard this strange rumor that 1st round picks are oftentimes not used by their original teams, but instead traded for players who are somewhat older and more present in the current NHL.

I've heard this strange rumor that 1st round picks are oftentimes not used by their original teams, but instead traded for players who are somewhat older and more present in the current NHL.

My post from earlier?

Gorton already commented about the draft and wanting another pick

they got the consensus best player available today I'm not sure how that's not an overall win. Maybe a year or two long on the deal because it runs out until he's 35/36. At the same time they're paying Bread 11.6M per year until he's 35/36 and that's just fine?.

Plus JD says we have a plan :)

Bread is an elite player

HOF level skill

It’s not the same

It's not that black and white. They considered Kreider a key part of the culture here and felt he was A) worth the investment, and B) worth trading someone else in order to have him comfortable fit under the cap in the future. Then they correctly identified Skjei as the guy they needed to unload for future cap space based on value relative to contract. The return for Skjei wasn't the point, but it's really hard to complain about a first coming back.

It's not that black and white. They considered Kreider a key part of the culture here and felt he was A) worth the investment, and B) worth trading someone else in order to have him comfortable fit under the cap in the future. Then they correctly identified Skjei as the guy they needed to unload for future cap space based on value relative to contract. The return for Skjei wasn't the point, but it's really hard to complain about a first coming back.

All in all they did well.

Shedded a guy who wasn’t having success here. Got a valuable asset back in exchange.

Keeping Kreider will eventually cause a problem.

But if they feel that strongly about him and they are willing to pay the price down the road, I won’t disagree that he has value and importance, so be it. Moving Skjei softens the blow for me.

He’s got to give them 4 years of the production we’ve become accustomed to though. And he’s got to be more consistent.

I’m glad they kept Fast. Keeping him around on the right deal this summer should be a priority for them.

So is he going to completely shit the bed at the same age Kreider is going to or not? At almost double the AAV. If we're going to worry about what happens in 5-7 years from now than I would be just as concerned about Artemi. I would even be more worried about Artemi holding up because he doesn't appear to be built nearly as solid as Kreider.

Bread is an elite player

HOF level skill

It?s not the same

So is he going to completely shit the bed at the same age Kreider is going to or not? At almost double the AAV. If we're going to worry about what happens in 5-7 years from now than I would be just as concerned about Artemi. I would even be more worried about Artemi holding up because he doesn't appear to be built nearly as solid as Kreider.

No

Elite players stay elite into their mid-30’s.

Shall I cite examples?

Success for sure. This team has really showed a lot over the last few months. Keep moving in that direction.

Losing Skjei is not a big deal. His role can be filled by pretty much anyone on the roster.

20 games left to make a push. We pick twice in June. Really the best you could have asked for at this point.

• Like 1

Success for sure. This team has really showed a lot over the last few months. Keep moving in that direction.

Losing Skjei is not a big deal. His role can be filled by pretty much anyone on the roster.

20 games left to make a push. We pick twice in June. Really the best you could have asked for at this point.

Spot on. They retained a very important t piece that had leadership and has been to a cup, rid themselves of a redundant contract, and got a 1st. Literally we won the trade deadline imo

Yeah, agreed.

I thought, and still think, the Kreider deal is a year or two too long. But you see it in context of being able to dump Skjei for a first and it completely changes the landscape.

I mean, the choice of whether to keep Kreider or Skjei is an easy one. And the difference in return is miniscule. Kreider helps us in "the Panarin window", the B+ prospect you would have received in addition to the pick is a total crapshoot. Losing Skjei's contract opens the door to keeping ADA, another piss easy choice between the two.

All in all it's a more than satisfactory result.

Didn't feel like a trade deadline. Felt like draft day deals.

They pretty much treaded water. They're the same middling team, with one more draft pick and questionable contract.

I didn't hear the presser but hard to figure out what motives were behind the moves especially with Shesty injured.

They didn't really fuck anything up, but they're no better today than before the deadline. I guess there's something to be said when "not fucking it up" is considered a success lol.

Didn't feel like a trade deadline. Felt like draft day deals.

They pretty much treaded water. They're the same middling team, with one more draft pick and questionable contract.

I didn't hear the presser but hard to figure out what motives were behind the moves especially with Shesty injured.

They didn't really fuck anything up, but they're no better today than before the deadline. I guess there's something to be said when "not fucking it up" is considered a success lol.

Well they're better now than what they would've been if they traded Kreider. They are also better in the medium term (3-4 coming seasons) for not trading Kreider.

And IMO enabling that through dumping Skjei for a 1st was a good move that I personally didn't see coming.

I don't think you can say it was a roaring success, but I have few problems with what they did.

They've obviously shifted the timeline to becoming competitive with this move. There can be no waiting around now. I could see them making big moves around the draft in order to fill out the roster needs.

Well they're better now than what they would've been if they traded Kreider. They are also better in the medium term (3-4 coming seasons) for not trading Kreider.

Remains to be seen. I'm not sold on recency Kreider.

I think he'll wind up as a spot contributing third liner+PP when this team makes noise in the playoffs.

The team is automatically better next year. Fox, Lindgren, Kakko, and Chytil should all take steps forward. There'll be a clearer picture on guys like Lundkvist, Miller, and Kravtsov. They'll get 50-60 games out of Shesty. I wouldn't be shocked to see them use the 2 first to target a dynamic center they really like and move up to get him if they have to.

Come 21-22 season they clear a ton of cap space, the above is even more true, and Kreider and Bread are only 30. Now they should know what they need to find in free agency to put them over the top.

They're right on track to be ultra competitive through ther early 30's of both of those guys.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

One would hope, that's a very optimistic outlook.

I used to feel that way and then Chytil didn't have a great 2nd year... Then Andersson, then Kravtsov stumbled... Then Kakko wasn't great either.

I don't buy players automatically getting better anymore.

It's nice when they do, but it's not automatic.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them use the 2 first to target a dynamic center they really like and move up to get him if they have to.

Pronman's mid-season ranking has 8 centers and 6 wings in the top 20. https://theathletic.com/1562467/2020/01/29/pronman-ranking-the-2020-nhl-draft-top-prospects-at-midseason/ There's a lot of forward talent to choose from this time around.