• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Paying Kreider

josh

Pay more after a trade?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Pay more after a trade?

Like some back room deal? I'm not sure you can get away with this plan, but even if you could, does Kreider's sudden burst of production warrant that for 6 years? Leopard not changing spots. I'm passing.

Not necessarily.

He'd still be an UFA able to sign elsewhere. I'm asking if you'd be ok with spending an extra 1m per, if it happens.

Would you pay Kreider $1m more per season if he accepts a trade, and signs with the Rangers during the offseason?

So, say its $6m x 6 now.

Would you be willing to pay him $7m x 6 if he was traded for assets?

I played along and voted "yes", but for the life of me I cannot understand why this conversation keeps circulating and getting play like it is a realistic option. When a player is traded their whole life and routine gets uprooted, and they go to(hopefully) a contending team to make a playoff run. They have to unlearn their current system for a new one, find a place to live, make news friends and develop a new routine all while playing high pressure hockey. I would imagine all of a sudden once they are inside that gauntlet, all of the good memories and life from the previous stop start to fade and become less important. The proof is just how often this situation never happens. Anyone care to do the research and tell everyone the last 3 times that this has happened in the NHL?

The only proposal that seems even more ridiculous is would you pay Kreider 8 million dollars per year if we traded him to Arizona, got trade assets, had him resign with the NYR and convince Taylor Hall to sign a value contract?

Probably, yes. My guess is his price is going to go up if he goes to market regardless. Whatever "discount" — if one is even a possibility at all — I'd imagine would only be on the table while he's property of the Rangers.

Only if you believe he doesnt give a shit about the Rangers.... and his NYC life... and Zibanejad...

I played along and voted "yes", but for the life of me I cannot understand why this conversation keeps circulating and getting play like it is a realistic option. When a player is traded their whole life and routine gets uprooted, and they go to(hopefully) a contending team to make a playoff run. They have to unlearn their current system for a new one, find a place to live, make news friends and develop a new routine all while playing high pressure hockey. I would imagine all of a sudden once they are inside that gauntlet, all of the good memories and life from the previous stop start to fade and become less important. The proof is just how often this situation never happens. Anyone care to do the research and tell everyone the last 3 times that this has happened in the NHL?

The only proposal that seems even more ridiculous is would you pay Kreider 8 million dollars per year if we traded him to Arizona, got trade assets, had him resign with the NYR and convince Taylor Hall to sign a value contract?

So the rangers get to sign Kreider and Hall for 9.5 mill a year

Either way ,the rangers are in a win situation,if they keep him,he complements Zig and Buch ,solid line,and if he gets traded, the dangers get a first and a top prospect,and maybe even more if he signs with the new club,that's pretty good for a guy who only show up when he feels :rolleyes: like it, not because he earn it

Only if you believe he doesnt give a shit about the Rangers.... and his NYC life... and Zibanejad...

Or that once he gets a genuine taste of the interest of an open market, he's not going to all of a sudden want to take less to come back home.

I think it's high time to spend some futures capital on shedding garbage. Attach a 2nd and a 3rd to Smith and see ya. Ditto for Staal.

You can probably ditch Smith to an Ottawa-like team on July 2nd. I'm not sure you can get anyone to bite on Staal, even with futures added.

I'm pretty sure I heard on the NBC broadcast last night that doing this type of trading and re-signing was against the collective bargaining agreement, but I can't find it....

Only after buyouts. Cant return to the buyout team for 1 calendar season, I believe. No mention of deadline or trades. Look at Brooks Orpik getting traded 2 seasons ago.

I'm pretty sure I heard on the NBC broadcast last night that doing this type of trading and re-signing was against the collective bargaining agreement, but I can't find it....

Nah, there's no rule against it. There was talk years ago of adding one — colloquially referred to as the Doug Weight/Keith Tkachuk rule — but it was never actually adopted.

I voted no. If this truly was the scenario, a late 1st isn't worth a worse long term contract. I don't see a 1st and a blue chip prospect coming back for Kreider even though that seems to be the ask. A 1st and a B prospect probably. Not enough.

I think this is how I feel. Well put rmc.

Only after buyouts. Cant return to the buyout team for 1 calendar season, I believe. No mention of deadline or trades. Look at Brooks Orpik getting traded 2 seasons ago.

Nah, there's no rule against it. There was talk years ago of adding one ? colloquially referred to as the Doug Weight/Keith Tkachuk rule ? but it was never actually adopted.

Ahh, ok...I did hear them say something about that though.... I was taking a piss at the time, so I was somewhat distracted by my tic tac of a weenie! :rofl:

Doesn't matter anyway, I don't want/need 7 years of Kreider going half speed after he signs and we end up buying him out after 3 years.

One thing to note on this whole OP concept is that the Rangers have the option of an eighth year (not they should — that they do) that would go away the moment they trade Kreider or he goes to market. At that point, any deal could only max out at seven years, which would automatically increase his AAV (if his agent is worth his weight).