• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Paying Kreider

josh

Pay more after a trade?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Pay more after a trade?

You can probably ditch Smith to an Ottawa-like team on July 2nd. I'm not sure you can get anyone to bite on Staal, even with futures added.

Additionally Staal would have to waive his NMC. I also think Smith would strategically have bad teams (with cap space to take him) on his modified NTC as well.

Trading either would be easier said than done.

The clearest path forward to relieve cap space without losing Kreider is by trading Skjei without accepting any cap (or with accepting very little cap) in return.

One thing to note on this whole OP concept is that the Rangers have the option of an eighth year (not they should — that they do) that would go away the moment they trade Kreider or he goes to market. At that point, any deal could only max out at seven years, which would automatically increase his AAV (if his agent is worth his weight).

8 years x 6.5 million. Who says yes?

That nets him 52 million, and from his standpoint would be the equivalent of doing 7x7M now followed by a 1x3M when he's 36 in July 2027. I think that's pretty fair and keeps his AAV down. Of course, then you'd have him until he's 37.

6-6.5 for 6-7 i can live with. that 8th year. no thanks.

Slobby, I luv ya dude...but I don't even want him....not at all!! I've seen enough Kreider, and I still think what we get back for him is going to net us more than we could ever hope for retaining him.

He's hot right now and it's time to sell high. I'm not jumping on this phantom of a freight train, my man. We can get a truck load for him and I think Gorton and JD know exactly what we have with him here....a future buyout candidate in 2 or 3 years.

I either sign him to an extension now or trade him. I don't think they can gauge what the free agent market will be for him. Once he gets notion that he can get more money elsewhere, I think we lose him. Handshake deal or not, I don't want him hitting free agency and competing with other teams who WILL pay more than the Rangers should afford.

My worry is that they're going to trade him and he's going to wind up playing like he has been this year all the time now. lol If he re-signs here long term, then he'd probably go back to being inconsistent Kreider. haha That is my biggest fear. Is he coming into his own finally at age 28 and playing with Mika, or is this 100% contract year motivation?

My worry is that they're going to trade him and he's going to wind up playing like he has been this year all the time now. lol If he re-signs here long term, then he'd probably go back to being inconsistent Kreider. haha That is my biggest fear. Is he coming into his own finally at age 28 and playing with Mika, or is this 100% contract year motivation?

It's kinda like dating a fat chick, Sharpy!!

Once you dump her, she goes and loses 50 lbs and looks hot again...kinda like when you first meet her....but don't worry, the minute she gets comfortable with her new man, she'll balloon up just as big, if not bigger than when you sent her packing!!! :rofl:

• Like 1

If we wait one year, we can shed them for free and keep those 2nd and 3rd rounders. Hell, those picks would be better than the 2 of those guys!!!
I think our biggest issue is that you don't think they can make noise next year where I do. I'm not dumping just to stay in the rebuild one more year. I think keeping certain quality assets along with the growth of our youngsters while shedding some dead weight gets us in the mix next year. It seems like you want to dump and build for the remainder of this season and all next year. I don't think that's necessary.

I think they need to make the playoffs next year for the experience so they can punish teams in the playoffs the following year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think our biggest issue is that you don't think they can make noise next year where I do. I'm not dumping just to stay in the rebuild one more year. I think keeping certain quality assets along with the growth of our youngsters while shedding some dead weight gets us in the mix next year. It seems like you want to dump and build for the remainder of this season and all next year. I don't think that's necessary.

I think they need to make the playoffs next year for the experience so they can punish teams in the playoffs the following year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I can dig that, Kev. I don't think they'll be ready for primetime next season, that's all. One year is not a lot to ask in order to unload a lot of these shitty, big tag contracts, and I just don't wanna see any more buyouts. Salary retention is fine for next season (Hank), if need be, but I just don't see any team needing a Staal or a Brendan Smith. We can't even find a spot on the roster for them! LOL

They could definitely be competitive next year for sure. But the season after with Henrik's money off the book's, Staal's, and Shattenkirk's $6 million-plus cap hit gone, they can really make some moves. Hopefully Brendan Smith will be gone too. So, while I wouldn't rule out next season for taking another step, that extra flexibility is just crucial at really re-loading and bringing in some more talent. They just have to manage the dead weight for another season.