• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire F Julien Gauthier for D Joey Keane

Phil

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed with Dunny. Gauthier is a big kid who can score.

Just for posterity here: Scott Wheeler's takes on the two players:

On Keane - 5th ranked in the Rangers system

There are some kinks to the way Keane looks when he plays that will grab your attention when you watch him play. It can feel like he?s stiff or he?s slapping the puck around because of the way he holds his stick and his unique stance over his toes. His hands don?t look smooth, either. But he?s a physical presence who has borderline elite skating ability and just continues to prove he can be productive, join the rush, slide down the wall in the offensive zone, and play with toughness. I?m not sure he?s going to drive offence at the NHL level, but he can make plays here and there, he?s confident with the puck even when he may not have plus-level skill with it, his skating helps him escape trouble, and he provides a different look than most modern NHL defencemen. I could see him settling in as a versatile third-pairing option.

On Gauthier - 9th ranked in the Canes system

Anytime you?re 6-foot-4, you can skate with power and speed off the rush, and you can overpower goalies with a hard shot, you?re probably going to work your way into an NHL role. He?s not going to surprise defenders with passes through their feet or a slick pass on the power play but Gauthier can get to the net to finish off plays or score from long range. Though he can be a little one-dimensional, he should thrive with a playmaking centre who can get him the puck and the Canes have no shortage of that player type on the way. I?m actually a little surprised he hasn?t been given more of an NHL look this season. He?s one of the better scorers in the AHL these days.

Gotta say, this feels like a "deal from strength to address a weakness we're about to create" thing

Seems a it random but I'm not too familiar with him.

Here's what I got: (Tale of the Tape)

Julien Gauthier (born October 15, 1997) is a Canadian ice hockey player, currently playing with the Carolina Hurricanes of the National Hockey League (NHL). Gauthier was drafted 21st overall by the Hurricanes in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft.

Born October 15, 1997 (age 22)

Pointe-aux-Trembles, Quebec, Canada

Height 6 ft 4 in

Weight 225 lb

Position Right Wing

Shoots Right

Cur. team New York Rangers

Former team: Charlotte Checkers (AHL)

NHL Draft 21st overall, 2016 Carolina Hurricanes

This makes sense. We have too many D prospects, and even if Keane has had a good season, I dont think there would be a place for him on Rangers. At some point some of these D-men had to be traded for a forward, and this is the first one.

26 goals in 44 games in the AHL this season. Big, goal-scoring winger. Kreids replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Not really. If you think he is gonna fill that void then you probably are gonna be disappointed

It's not going to be a straightforward replacement - Kreider is a clear top 6 player and Gauthier barely has an NHL resume, but it's a good identification of what role needs filling here.

Kreider obviously much further advanced, especially with the net-front stuff, and defensively, but this guy is physically a Kreider clone, with a better shot.

Worse case scenario, he's a bottom six physical specimen that can bury his odd chances.

Have actually been to 4 Checkers games down in NC this season. He's definitely a really solid offensive player at the AHL level, he does't show a whole lot of interest in playing a two way game. Not sure why he hasn't been given much of a chance with the Hurricanes. If he's the replacement for Kreider it's a step back the question would be for how long. He's certainly not a guy to step into the same role and responsibilities.

Also have a friend who covers a bunch of Hartford games who is a huge fan of Keane's. He feels he's certainly going to be a NHL defensemen just not here because of the numbers.

Not really. If you think he is gonna fill that void then you probably are gonna be disappointed

I've been fairly disappointed with Kreider for most of his career though. The guy has always left me wanting more. I'm not going to be fooled by this whole phantom Kreider performance these last 7 weeks. ...I don't think the Rangers will be either. The guy's welcome go seek his fortune and get his 7x7 deal he desires.

All I can say is "BUYER BEWARE!!!"

If this kid can develop into a power forward that can give us 100%, and play like a bull in a china shop at 2 ends of the rink, that's more than a one dimensional Kreider will give going forward for 7 million bucks.

God I love this time of the year!! I'm with ya, Thirty one!!! :rofl:

Have actually been to 4 Checkers games down in NC this season. He's definitely a really solid offensive player at the AHL level, he does't show a whole lot of interest in playing a two way game. Not sure why he hasn't been given much of a chance with the Hurricanes. If he's the replacement for Kreider it's a step back the question would be for how long. He's certainly not a guy to step into the same role and responsibilities.

Also have a friend who covers a bunch of Hartford games who is a huge fan of Keane's. He feels he's certainly going to be a NHL defensemen just not here because of the numbers.

Seems like they're both near-future NHL players.

I've been fairly disappointed with Kreider for most of his career though. The guy has always left me wanting more. I'm not going to be fooled by this whole phantom Kreider performance these last 7 weeks. ...I don't think the Rangers will be either. The guy's welcome go seek his fortune and get his 7x7 deal he desires.

If this kid can develop into a power forward that can give us 100%, and play like a bull in a china shop at 2 ends of the rink, that's more than a one dimensional Kreider will give going forward for 7 million bucks.

God I love this time of the year!! I'm with ya, Thirty one!!! :rofl

:

Ive always felt some fans had unrealistic expectations of Kreider because of the 2012 playoffs they wanted him to be a superstar and anything less was a disappointment in their eyes. I mean it’s not like he was the top overall pick he was 19th. He has been a good top 6 player pretty much since he was 22, will get you 25-28 goals, creates space with his speed, one of the best in front of the net, has become a better defensive player l, a very good playoff player. I don’t know for me that pretty goddamn good value for the 19th overall pick lol
  • Like 1

God I love this time of the year!! I'm with ya, Thirty one!!! :rofl:

Pretty much how I see it. Is Gauthier going to immediately replace Kreider? No. No one was going to do that. Can he slot into some of his roles like the net-front presence on the powerplay? Oh yeah. That's his bread and butter. He's 22 and has more development to come. This isn't a short-term replacement or attempt at replacing.

Kreider is good, but like you said, disappointing for much of his career. He hasn't been bad but there's always been a feeling he could do more. I'd rather be surprised by Gauthier at this point than disappointed in Kreider. Especially when there's likely a $6M difference in their salaries.

Ive always felt done fans had unrealistic expectations of Kreider because of the 2012 playoffs Theyveanted him to be a superstar and anything less was a disappointment in their eyes. I mean it?s not like he was the top overall pick he was 19th. He has been a good top 6 player pretty much since he was 22, will get you 25-28 goals, creates space with his soles, one of the best in front of the net, has become a better defensive player l, a very good playoff player. I don?t know for me that pretty goddamn good value for the 19th overall pick lol

Yep. This is about the best you can hope for at 19.

Solid trade for both teams. Excited to see what Gauthier can bring to the club. I'm a little curious why he couldn't crack the Canes though. They aren't exactly an offensive powerhouse, and Gauthier has shown an aptitude for scoring a lot of goals in the A.

I'd expect to see Gauthier with the big club sooner rather than later.

Solid trade for both teams. Excited to see what Gauthier can bring to the club. I'm a little curious why he couldn't crack the Canes though. They aren't exactly an offensive powerhouse, and Gauthier has shown an aptitude for scoring a lot of goals in the A.

I'd expect to see Gauthier with the big club sooner rather than later.

Defensively inept.