• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire F Julien Gauthier for D Joey Keane

Phil

Solid trade for both teams. Excited to see what Gauthier can bring to the club. I'm a little curious why he couldn't crack the Canes though. They aren't exactly an offensive powerhouse, and Gauthier has shown an aptitude for scoring a lot of goals in the A.

I'd expect to see Gauthier with the big club sooner rather than later

My only hesitancy is expecting that it’s a lock he is gonna come here and become a replacement. We have seen many players tear up AHL then do nothing in the NHL. Emerson Etem is one name that comes to mind. Look I was a big fan of Keane too. I don’t hate the trade but I guess I don’t live it either

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive always felt some fans had unrealistic expectations of Kreider because of the 2012 playoffs they wanted him to be a superstar and anything less was a disappointment in their eyes. I mean it?s not like he was the top overall pick he was 19th. He has been a good top 6 player pretty much since he was 22, will get you 25-28 goals, creates space with his speed, one of the best in front of the net, has become a better defensive player l, a very good playoff player. I don?t know for me that pretty goddamn good value for the 19th overall pick lol

I just wish he wasn?t such a pussy at times and used his size more

A yo. I've been calling for him.

Thinks this means Kreider is gonzo. He's like Kreider, with less hockey IQ. But big, and fast.

Also, good job on selling high on Keane. I thought Gauthier would have cost Georgiev.

NICE ONE!

And a nice pick up!

From what I've seen his lack of physical play for a guy his size will frustrate many. Even more so than Kreider. At 22 he's in I believe his fourth season so he's not a really young kid yet not old by any means. His lack of interest in playing D will be an issue that needs to be addressed or he may end up being a tweener his whole career. Hopefully he can step up and show something.

My only hesitancy is expecting that it’s a lock he is gonna come here and become a replacement. We have seen many players tear up AHL then do nothing in the NHL. Emerson Etem is one name that comes to mind. Look I was a big fan of Keane too. I don’t hate the trade but I guess I don’t live it either

Far from a lock. But we do know Keane wasn't making this team with Trouba/Fox/DeAngelo...and Lundkvist on the way as well. Seems like two similarly valued prospects being swapped for each other. Carolina needs the RHD prospect and the Rangers need the big forward prospect.

I'm pretty confident if we had a forward prospect that has potted 26 goals in 44 games in the A this year, we would have been itching to call him up and give him a look. If Hamilton doesn't get hurt, I don't think the Canes feel the need to make this trade to be honest. They must be hoping Keane can step right in and bolster their blue line immediately.

From what I've seen his lack of physical play for a guy his size will frustrate many. Even more so than Kreider. At 22 he's in I believe his fourth season so he's not a really young kid yet not old by any means. His lack of interest in playing D will be an issue that needs to be addressed or he may end up being a tweener his whole career. Hopefully he can step up and show something.

Yeah, he still has a 1st line, 40 goal scorer mindset.

They'll have to beat it out of him, cause he ain't gonna be that in this league.

Far from a lock. But we do know Keane wasn't making this team with Trouba/Fox/DeAngelo...and Lundkvist on the way as well. Seems like two similarly valued prospects being swapped for each other. Carolina needs the RHD prospect and the Rangers need the big forward prospect.

I'm pretty confident if we had a forward prospect that has potted 26 goals in 44 games in the A this year, we would have been itching to call him up and give him a look. If Hamilton doesn't get hurt, I don't think the Canes feel the need to make this trade to be honest. They must be hoping Keane can step right in and bolster their blue line immediately.

Thanks, now Vinny is crying.

From Scott Wheeler's team farm rankings on the Athletic:

Gauthier was 9th in the Canes 3rd ranked system (https://theathletic.com/1586472/2020/02/10/wheelers-2021-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings-no-3-carolina-hurricanes/):

9. Julien Gauthier, RW, 22 (Charlotte Checkers)

Anytime you’re 6-foot-4, you can skate with power and speed off the rush, and you can overpower goalies with a hard shot, you’re probably going to work your way into an NHL role. He’s not going to surprise defenders with passes through their feet or a slick pass on the power play but Gauthier can get to the net to finish off plays or score from long range. Though he can be a little one-dimensional, he should thrive with a playmaking centre who can get him the puck and the Canes have no shortage of that player type on the way. I’m actually a little surprised he hasn’t been given more of an NHL look this season. He’s one of the better scorers in the AHL these days.

Gauthier sounds like the exact kind of player you pair with some of the guys on this team who love to pass. Shoot first mentality...sounds about right.

Keane was 5th in the Rangers 4th ranked system (https://theathletic.com/1586618/2020/02/09/wheelers-2020-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings-no-4-new-york-rangers/):

5. Joey Keane, RHD, 20 (Hartford Wolf Pack)

There are some kinks to the way Keane looks when he plays that will grab your attention when you watch him play. It can feel like he’s stiff or he’s slapping the puck around because of the way he holds his stick and his unique stance over his toes. His hands don’t look smooth, either. But he’s a physical presence who has borderline elite skating ability and just continues to prove he can be productive, join the rush, slide down the wall in the offensive zone, and play with toughness. I’m not sure he’s going to drive offence at the NHL level, but he can make plays here and there, he’s confident with the puck even when he may not have plus-level skill with it, his skating helps him escape trouble, and he provides a different look than most modern NHL defencemen. I could see him settling in as a versatile third-pairing option.

Keane just reminded me off Daniel Walcott. Weird trajectory, bit of a Major Junior enigma, then poof, everybody thought he was good all of a sudden. Pretty sure he was on the 3rd pair in the OHL last year in London.

Hopefully Keane proves me wrong, but good value for him in Gauthier, who is far from perfect, but I can see how he could be an effective NHL asset.

Pretty much how I see it. Is Gauthier going to immediately replace Kreider? No. No one was going to do that. Can he slot into some of his roles like the net-front presence on the powerplay? Oh yeah. That's his bread and butter. He's 22 and has more development to come. This isn't a short-term replacement or attempt at replacing.

Kreider is good, but like you said, disappointing for much of his career. He hasn't been bad but there's always been a feeling he could do more. I'd rather be surprised by Gauthier at this point than disappointed in Kreider. Especially when there's likely a $6M difference in their salaries.

I hear ya Drew!! Seems like the team is keeping/sticking to their rebuild, and making a sound decision in adding youth with size, strength and potential. I for one love it, and again dealing from our strength, which is a very good plan.

But I gotta tell ya, this trade just lit the fuse for me...now I'm looking forward to seeing the rest unfold....in 6 days!!! UGH!!!

Think they learnt their lesson after Graves. If you don?t think they are a piece, move them whilst their stock is high. Should have done the same with Gilmour. Plus we have a ton of good prospects at that position, which we don?t have at forward. The more I read the smarter it seems. But time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The Rangers are an elite organization drafting or signing defenseman and goalies. Forwards they are average if that. They used the power of their defenseman prospect core to get a hulking forward with finishing skills for a guy that had zero chance of making this team. That's how you put together a cup winning roster. Carolina on the other hand is elite at drafting forwards. They were supposed to have this amazing defenseman prospect core but to be honest, they haven't lived up to their hype. A big part of that is Fox screwing them over. That set back their organization on an immense level. If he was there, that team would be 10 to 20% better.

You're an imbecile if you don't think this was a steal for the Rangers. I was hoping to get Gauthier in a deal for Georgiev. Kid is 6'4, 227 lbs, great skater for a big man, excellent finishing skills, drives the net and is solid defensively. That for a guy who had 0.00% chance of ever playing here. Fox, TDA and Trouba on the right. Lundkvist is one of the best defenseman prospects in the world. Period. Keane was never, ever, ever, seeing icetime here. This team is still small and soft. I immediately move Gauthier on the line with Panarin and Strome. Fast is NOT a first line player and I expect him to be dealt. I believe Skjei and Fast will be going to the Oilers for Puljujarvi and Benson. Something around that. Benson is being showcased and these teams have a trading history. You win games in the physical playoff contests with Gauthier types. Not with Keane types.

Imbecile is a bit strong. Maybe tone down the rhetoric. I like the trade, but nobody knows how either of these guys will pan out in the NHL.

I think we can now 1) squash the "trade Trouba" thing that was never happening anyway, and 2) know DeAngelo will be here next year.

If DeAngelo were traded, Keane was the next man up. Lundkvist is still in the pipeline but very doubtful we would have considered him a viable option already by next season.