• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire F Julien Gauthier for D Joey Keane

Phil

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imbecile is a bit strong. Maybe tone down the rhetoric. I like the trade, but nobody knows how either of these guys will pan out in the NHL.

Its ok to be happy and excited ,I hope he is right about Gauthier

I just don't think Ozzy will be happy with Gauthier since he is Kreider little brother ;)

Imbecile is a bit strong. Maybe tone down the rhetoric. I like the trade, but nobody knows how either of these guys will pan out in the NHL.

Great Post!!! Look I’m not a huge fan of the trade because I’ve been a fan of Keane but I’m fine with bringing the kid here because he is a big forward who has skills. However I do laugh when I hear he is “Kreider’s replacement”. I mean let’s see if the kid can adapt to the NHL first before making that proclamation lol

Its ok to be happy and excited ,I hope he is right about Gauthier

I just don't think Ozzy will be happy with Gauthier since he is Kreider little brother ;)

I'd take your little brother, Lefty!!! ...especially since he won't be making 7 million for 7 years and putting up 48 points a season with a lackluster effort for half a season. :rofl:

Julien Gauthier, RW, N.Y. Rangers (traded from Carolina on Feb. 18)

Gauthier was the No. 56 prospect on my midseason ranking so he becomes the Rangers’ No. 3 ranked prospect. He’s a bit of a divisive prospect when you talk to scouts because he has a tremendous toolkit but also is an inconsistent player. I highlighted him as a player who may be moved because of Carolina’s roster crunch and his impending waiver status. I like the player because I think a player with his size, great skating and skill who can score will find a way to become an NHL player. I know some scouts who question his hockey sense, but I think it will be good enough. I think he could be a middle-six NHL winger with the upside to be a second-line winger.

Joey Keane, D, Carolina (traded by N.Y. Rangers on Feb. 18)

Keane didn’t make my midseason prospect ranking, but he was a close cut toward the end of the process. He’s been an AHL all-star as a rookie pro for Hartford. He’s shown excellent puck-moving skill at the pro level. His offensive IQ is very high, and he has the ability to play with pace. He’s a good skater and will be able to handle the NHL speed. His defensive play has just been OK. He hasn’t been a penalty killer for Hartford, but I liked his compete and defensive play in junior so I think that aspect will come along with time. I think he’s an NHL defenseman. Probably more of a third pair defenseman right now, but I see the upside to be more.

Commentary on CAR-NYR trading Gauthier for Keane: Based on my evaluations of the players exchanged, I like Gauthier a little more as a player. Carolina was going to have to make a decision on him soon, though, because if he hit waivers next fall, my understanding from discussions with NHL scouts is that he was the type of player who would have been claimed. Based on those circumstances, getting a defenseman like Keane, who is on the first year of an entry-level deal, preserves some value in the system for Carolina; while the Rangers, who don’t have as deep an NHL roster, take a big swing on a highly talented player.

Pronman.

You're an imbecile if you don't think this was a steal for the Rangers. I was hoping to get Gauthier in a deal for Georgiev. Kid is 6'4, 227 lbs, great skater for a big man, excellent finishing skills, drives the net and is solid defensively. That for a guy who had 0.00% chance of ever playing here. Fox, TDA and Trouba on the right. Lundkvist is one of the best defenseman prospects in the world. Period. Keane was never, ever, ever, seeing icetime here. This team is still small and soft. I immediately move Gauthier on the line with Panarin and Strome. Fast is NOT a first line player and I expect him to be dealt. I believe Skjei and Fast will be going to the Oilers for Puljujarvi and Benson. Something around that. Benson is being showcased and these teams have a trading history. You win games in the physical playoff contests with Gauthier types. Not with Keane types.
Sounds like the jury is out on his defensive soundness. I think that is one area where I'm confident that Quinn will hold his feet to the fire and make him do his work - at penalty of le Bin du Quinn.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Far from a lock. But we do know Keane wasn't making this team with Trouba/Fox/DeAngelo...and Lundkvist on the way as well. Seems like two similarly valued prospects being swapped for each other. Carolina needs the RHD prospect and the Rangers need the big forward prospect.

I'm pretty confident if we had a forward prospect that has potted 26 goals in 44 games in the A this year, we would have been itching to call him up and give him a look. If Hamilton doesn't get hurt, I don't think the Canes feel the need to make this trade to be honest. They must be hoping Keane can step right in and bolster their blue line immediately.

Lord, if Kravtsov had 26 goals at Hartford, Rangers twitter would have long ago burst into flames demanding his promotion.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This is a nice, prospect-centered hockey trade. As stated, Keane was 5th on the depth chart organizationally at RD, and 3 of the 4 in front of him are well entrenched NHL’ers, and the 4th guy is having an excellent season at 19 in the Swedish league. Long shot for Keane to be on the NHL roster as anymore than a 7th D in the next several seasons. And even that’s not a certainty

Good deal to move him now while his value is high and bring back a player like Gauthier who has a very high upside and can probably step into the NHL very soon, if not right away. Gauthier also helps fill a need of organizational depth on the wing.

Even if it doesn’t pan out, it’s still the right type of trade to make.

And there it is. His impending waiver status. Guess he HAS to make the roster next year? Not sure but that doesn't sound good.

Hopefully he pans out. This is definitely the type of moves they need to be making. They have nothing as far as forward prospects past Kravstov. Hopefully they put him right onto the 4th line and see what he's got, before his waiver status is an issue.

And there it is. His impending waiver status. Guess he HAS to make the roster next year? Not sure but that doesn't sound good.

Hopefully he pans out. This is definitely the type of moves they need to be making. They have nothing as far as forward prospects past Kravstov. Hopefully they put him right onto the 4th line and see what he's got, before his waiver status is an issue.

What? He's on an ELC, 22 years old, and 5 NHL games.

This is a nice, prospect-centered hockey trade. As stated, Keane was 5th on the depth chart organizationally at RD, and 3 of the 4 in front of him are well entrenched NHL’ers, and the 4th guy is having an excellent season at 19 in the Swedish league. Long shot for Keane to be on the NHL roster as anymore than a 7th D in the next several seasons. And even that’s not a certainty

Good deal to move him now while his value is high and bring back a player like Gauthier who has a very high upside and can probably step into the NHL very soon, if not right away. Gauthier also helps fill a need of organizational depth on the wing.

Even if it doesn’t pan out, it’s still the right type of trade to make.

Yep. Agree 100%.

I’ve read reports that say he’s bad defensively and reports that say he’s solid lol

I guess we’ll find out soon

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

A young Kreider is a really good comparison. Some great tools, but lacks the brain. He will look completely lost at times.

This will all come down to how Quinn uses him, and if he's able to make mistakes and continue to get ice time.

24. Julien Gauthier is exactly the kind of player the New York Rangers are ready to take a chance with: a young forward who needs an NHL shot. Fourth in the AHL in goals (26), Gauthier couldn’t crack Carolina’s group and craved a better opportunity. He’s going to get it in Manhattan.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-tyler-toffoli-trade-vancouver-canucks/