Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Here's an interesting debate regarding Sweden.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/mun...strategy-right
    There definitely is something to that but it’s just so risky individually. Take example just my job. Normally gunfire is the leading cause of active Police deaths. This year it’s Covid by a 3-1 margin which is nuts.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    If there were ever a real-life allegory to shooting yourself in the foot with a minigun, you found it right there.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Coaching Fail Bantam Division
    Here's an interesting debate regarding Sweden.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/mun...strategy-right
    I think Sweden got it right for this particular pandemic. It would have failed for the 1918 flu because unlike COVID, it affected mainly young and healthy people

US Hospitalizations keep declining across all age groups:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...iew/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    US Hospitalizations keep declining across all age groups:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...iew/index.html

I wish I could trust that, because it's good news, but we need to understand why that is - data without context are meaningless.

Is that because the CDC has been forced to change their testing requirements and reporting outcomes, because Americans are taking this more seriously, because containment measures are working?
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Here's the consequence of doing litteraly nothing:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...e-gws-wiz-serp

Doing absolutely nothing has to be considered as viable a strategy as doing absolutely everything humanly possible.

Here's the consequence of doing litteraly nothing:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...e-gws-wiz-serp

Doing absolutely nothing has to be considered as viable a strategy as doing absolutely everything humanly possible.
    They didn't do nothing, they protected vulnerable populations and let the rest of society proceed as normal except for masks in public. This is essentially what we are doing in the US now except too many people refusing to wear masks and crowding in social gatherings in many parts of the country

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    They didn't do nothing, they protected vulnerable populations and let the rest of society proceed as normal except for masks in public. This is essentially what we are doing in the US now except too many people refusing to wear masks and crowding in social gatherings in many parts of the country
    Literally as far away from accurate as possible. Come on, what Sweden took as a strategy and what we did isn’t even remotely close to each other.

Trump positive for Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Literally as far away from accurate as possible. Come on, what Sweden took as a strategy and what we did isn’t even remotely close to each other.
    You can't even compare the US to Sweden in this scenario.

Different cultural norms, different size outbreaks, what they knew and when. for example, their baseline health is way better than ours, especially obesity. That's just one example that would fall under cultural norms being different.

It really is apples and oranges.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Yeah, I agree, and I really think that is the biggest factor. It's a high IQ society that understands basic common sense.

Americans really just don't give a fuck and value their freedom over everything. I'm generalizing, of course, but what else could explain it. Sweden's numbers are becoming pretty comporable to Ontario's, which I find interesting as we're chastised every single fucking day and are living with all kinds of rules that aren't dealing with.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Yeah, I agree, and I really think that is the biggest factor. It's a high IQ society that understands basic common sense.

Americans really just don't give a fuck and value their freedom over everything. I'm generalizing, of course, but what else could explain it. Sweden's numbers are becoming pretty comporable to Ontario's, which I find interesting as we're chastised every single fucking day and are living with all kinds of rules that aren't dealing with.
    Americans also value their personal "freedom" over the rights of other Americans.

Ask a Swede the mask up, they do it. Ask an American and they're likely to spit on you or try and lick you.

No, that's about right. Americans are an almost uniquely "me, not us" society.

Sweden's "correctness" here comes from a unified national response, a cultural concern for the greater good over the self, and a much better baseline health - and unfortunately for you, Canada's got enough of that American bullheadedness that they can't play the Sweden card.
    Hidden Content

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Same with Japan and other societies. American "exceptionalism" is a euphemism, of sorts, to mean American "except-me-ism."
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You can't even compare the US to Sweden in this scenario.

Different cultural norms, different size outbreaks, what they knew and when. for example, their baseline health is way better than ours, especially obesity. That's just one example that would fall under cultural norms being different.

It really is apples and oranges.
    The original test comparison was Sweden vs Finland.
    Berry similar geographic, age, healthcare, etc.

And Sweden massively failed and had to completely start becoming proactive on this to adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Johnson & Johnson Pauses Trials Due to Unexplained Illnesses

"Drugmaker Johnson & Johnson said Monday it has paused the advanced clinical trial of its experimental coronavirus vaccine because of an unexplained illness in one of the volunteers.

"Following our guidelines, the participant's illness is being reviewed and evaluated by the ENSEMBLE independent Data Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) as well as our internal clinical and safety physicians," the company said in a statement. ENSEMBLE is the name of the study.
    "Adverse events -- illnesses, accidents, etc. -- even those that are serious, are an expected part of any clinical study, especially large studies." The pause was first reported by Stat News."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/12/healt...-bn/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Johnson & Johnson Pauses Trials Due to Unexplained Illnesses

"Drugmaker Johnson & Johnson said Monday it has paused the advanced clinical trial of its experimental coronavirus vaccine because of an unexplained illness in one of the volunteers.

"Following our guidelines, the participant's illness is being reviewed and evaluated by the ENSEMBLE independent Data Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) as well as our internal clinical and safety physicians," the company said in a statement. ENSEMBLE is the name of the study.
    "Adverse events -- illnesses, accidents, etc. -- even those that are serious, are an expected part of any clinical study, especially large studies." The pause was first reported by Stat News."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/12/healt...-bn/index.html
    It's to be expected that trials will cause some issues. Heck, it's highly likely that any vaccine will have some undesirable side effects. So long as those effects are temporary and minor, it's probably okay.
    Hidden Content

I tell you what, I’m not being in the first few rounds of vaccines. I don’t care how much testing has gone on. I’ll get it a year or so later lol

Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    I tell you what, I’m not being in the first few rounds of vaccines. I don’t care how much testing has gone on. I’ll get it a year or so later lol
    I think you might be first in line. I'd imagine any rollout plan is going to prioritize medical workers, first responders, and nursing homes.

That said, we need to know more about the severity of the illnesses in question, right? When you get your flu shot, they usually tell you that you might feel tired, or get a bit drowsy, or feel sick for a day. That feels like a fair trade-off.
    Hidden Content

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast