Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Wheeler's 2020 Prospect Pool Rankings: #4 - New York Rangers

  1. #21
    Senior Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    129
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Of course. I'm just talking in terms of roster space. Staal is taking up a role when he shouldn't be. Can't buy him out. Can't buy out Smith. I would try to get creative in moving Smith though. He has really become as useless as tits on a bull.

    Much like Hank, Staal will just have to fade away after next season.
    If we agree that the salary is quasi-unmovable, Staal simply just becomes the highest paid 7th defenseman in the league, assuming all the LHD talent starts knocking down the door between now and the end of next season.

    Curious to see what Rykov can do at the NHL level, and would not mind giving Hajek another look; everyone else(Miller, Jones, etc...) should take their time to develop.

  2. #22
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,518
    Rep Power
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyInTheMiddle View Post
    If we agree that the salary is quasi-unmovable, Staal simply just becomes the highest paid 7th defenseman in the league, assuming all the LHD talent starts knocking down the door between now and the end of next season.

    Curious to see what Rykov can do at the NHL level, and would not mind giving Hajek another look; everyone else(Miller, Jones, etc...) should take their time to develop.
    Sure. In fact, I'd like to see Miller and Jones go the AHL first. I think the Rangers should make a habit of sending young players there first. They're not desperate to fill roster spots in the NHL so just let them marinate a bit.

    I too would like to see Rykov come up. Maybe with Kravstov at deadline?
    GORTON 2020

  3. #23
    Senior Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    129
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Sure. In fact, I'd like to see Miller and Jones go the AHL first. I think the Rangers should make a habit of sending young players there first. They're not desperate to fill roster spots in the NHL so just let them marinate a bit.

    I too would like to see Rykov come up. Maybe with Kravstov at deadline?
    Hopefully.

  4. #24
    (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,946
    Rep Power
    156
    Why can’t Staal be bought out? If he is, he cap hit changes from 5.7m to 2.1m and in 21/22 it would be 1.066m.

    If you bought out Smith, it goes from 4.35m to 2.7m and in 21/22 783k

    These both are minimal. I’m not sure if they count against the max contracts though but I’d assume no.

  5. #25
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,518
    Rep Power
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Why can’t Staal be bought out? If he is, he cap hit changes from 5.7m to 2.1m and in 21/22 it would be 1.066m.

    If you bought out Smith, it goes from 4.35m to 2.7m and in 21/22 783k

    These both are minimal. I’m not sure if they count against the max contracts though but I’d assume no.
    We just need to stop buying people out. It's an insane waste of money and cap. It's bad business as well. Sure, it's only 2.1 against the cap next year but comine that with 7.5 for Shattenkirk and you're paying almost 10m in cap for two players that aren't even on the ice.
    GORTON 2020

  6. #26
    (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,946
    Rep Power
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    We just need to stop buying people out. It's an insane waste of money and cap. It's bad business as well. Sure, it's only 2.1 against the cap next year but comine that with 7.5 for Shattenkirk and you're paying almost 10m in cap for two players that aren't even on the ice.
    I do agree with u but they are different situations. Even buying out both Staal and Smith at the same time would cost us less than 2m combined for that extra year. Monetarily it’s pretty insignificant two years from now and that extra 5m is the difference between one rfa being retained,

  7. #27
    Senior Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    129
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    I do agree with u but they are different situations. Even buying out both Staal and Smith at the same time would cost us less than 2m combined for that extra year. Monetarily its pretty insignificant two years from now and that extra 5m is the difference between one rfa being retained,
    Incorrect.

    Staal would hit you for 3.5 million penalty next season, and Smith would ding you for 2.7 million; both together would be 6.2 million on top of the previously mentioned 7.5 million we are already paying for Shattenkirk, Girardi, & Spooner. Then you still have to find someone to play in their spots. Even slotting rookies/league minimum types in at 700-900K per year, the respective savings is 1.3 million on Staal(5.7 million -3.5 million + 900K) & 750K on Smith(4.35 million - 2.7 million + 900K).

    Buying out any of these expiring contracts is crazy talk pure & simple.

    https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-c...aal/2020-06-15
    https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-c...ith/2020-06-15

  8. #28
    Senior Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    129
    Rep Power
    7
    The more I think about it, I think that this conversation gets much easier next season. While both players are ridiculously over paid for what they are(3rd pair defensemen), they are serviceable in a limited role. I can certainly understand why another team would not want multiple years of those contracts at 50% retained salary; taking on 1 year for Staal(@2.85 million) or Smith(@2.15 million) seems plausible if it comes with a minor asset like Lias Andersson or a 3rd round draft pick.

  9. #29
    (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,946
    Rep Power
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyInTheMiddle;1004019

    Staal would hit you for 3.5 million penalty next season, and Smith would ding you for 2.7 million; both together would be 6.2 million on top of the previously mentioned 7.5 million we are already paying for Shattenkirk, Girardi, & Spooner. Then you still have to find someone to play in their spots. Even slotting rookies/league minimum types in at 700-900K per year, the respective savings is 1.3 million on Staal(5.7 million -3.5 million + 900K) & 750K on Smith(4.35 million - 2.7 million + 900K).

    Buying out any of these expiring contracts is crazy talk pure & simple.

    [url
    https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/marc-staal/2020-06-15[/url]
    https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-c...ith/2020-06-15
    Are you reading this correctly? Did you miss the part where I said in two years? I’m saying in two years, 21/22 the cap hit for that extra year for both combined is $1,066,667(Staal) + $783,333 ( Smith).
    Each player next year u save 1.5m in Smith and 2.1m in Staal.
    Rykov 925k, Hajek 833k , keane 809k or hell evem Kravtsov 925k (if we are looking at Smith as a winger) all get an opportunity to fill in slots. Any performance bonuses go into the following year cap I believe so wechave a shit ton of space anyway but it’ll be after a year where we see who is nhl ready and who is not.

    I was wrong though about the 5m. It’s 3.6m they get extra to play with next year which probably means around 1.6 after promoting guys.

    https://puckpedia.com/player/brendan...ut?s=2020-2021

    https://puckpedia.com/player/marc-st...ut?s=2020-2021

    Maybe puckpedia is wrong. Who knows.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,653
    Rep Power
    80
    Day is still on a list? Thought that ship sailed last season?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •