• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Wheeler's 2020 Prospect Pool Rankings: #4 - New York Rangers

Gravesy

For those who don't subscribe to the Athletic, Scott Wheeler is doing his annual ranking of the NHL prospect pools. These are players that haven't graduated to the NHL, so no Kakko, Fox etc. It's a bit strange that he considers Hajek a prospect (albeit not a very good one), but not Shesterkin. Anyway:

Even after graduating their top three prospects in Kaapo Kakko, Adam Fox and Igor Shesterkin, the Rangers still have one of the NHL?s better prospect pools thanks to the emergence of Nils Lundkvist as one of the league?s better prospects, enviable depth on defence in the system (probably the league?s deepest team at the position at the prospect level), some forward prospects who?ve followed up-and-down trajectories but boast intriguing NHL skillsets, and two semi-noteworthy goalie prospects.

As a whole, the group remains strong because the Rangers have done a good job hitting on late first-round picks and several bottom-half-of-the-draft potential steals.

Their glut of high-end defense prospects also speaks to a perceived commitment to draft the best player available, rather than catering to position. That approach should serve them well as they move into the next chapter of their rebuild and the need for constant waves of young talent persists league-wide.

Ranking of prospects:

1. Lundkvist

2. Kravtsov

3. Miller

4. Jones

5. Keane

6. Robertson

7. Barron

8. Pajuniemi

9. Henriksson

10. Rykov

11. Hajek

12. Skinner

13. Reaunanen

14. Altonen

15. Wall

16. Gettinger

17. Lindbom

18. Ragnarsson

19. Day

20. Elmer

Not ranked: Big Lias Andersson

tl;dr a fuckton of decent to very good defensive prospects, very thin on the ground in terms of forwards.

https://theathletic.com/1586618/2020/02/09/wheelers-2020-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings-no-4-new-york-rangers/

Shitty to see Henriksson drop even in the internal rankings.

If this doesn't solidify that the Rangers have real choices to make on the NHL club in terms of D, I don't know what does. Gotta pull from an area of strength to address an area of weakness.

If this doesn't solidify that the Rangers have real choices to make on the NHL club in terms of D, I don't know what does. Gotta pull from an area of strength to address an area of weakness.

Haven't read the article yet, but looking at the prospects over Henriksson - they've just all been that good, haven't they?

We've heard Lundkvist, Jones, Barron, Keane, Pajuniemi all season; Kravtsov is super talented even with his rough start to the year, and Miller is looking kinda like a second Trouba. Why would he rank over any of them?

It's obvious we need to be dealing out of our defense pool when you've got two guys penciled in for this years lineup barely cracking the top 6 D of our prospect pool, let alone the team.

That's pretty clear. The question is "who". I don't think this list necessarily says "cash in on AdA" though, although it's definitely on the table. The cons would be that there isn't anyone on this list who does what he does. Not even close. The pros would be that he's the only one we have have that would return something significant, in all likelihood.

It's not an easy question to answer.

Nice to see Lundkvist getting the recognition he deserves. I?ve had him as our #1 prospect for some time now, and he just keeps getting better.

Our right side is gonna be a ?problem? soon. Trouba, ADA, Fox, Lundkvist and Keane. Fox is going nowhere, Trouba just signed long term, ADA is having a career year and Lundkvist/Keane will be knocking on the door already next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

ADA for a top 6 forward is looking more and more likely. Kinda sad since I love his game, but Fox is looking like a stud, so ADA should be the odd man out.

I'd imagine Lundkvist needs a year with Hartford. I think he'll be great, but the jump from Sweden to the NHL is incredible, and in particular for an undersized defenseman.

Keane might be closer. I wonder what a guy like Joey Keane would return in a trade?

I'd imagine Lundkvist needs a year with Hartford. I think he'll be great, but the jump from Sweden to the NHL is incredible, and in particular for an undersized defenseman.

Keane might be closer. I wonder what a guy like Joey Keane would return in a trade?

Nothing. A forward prospect.

That's why ADA moving makes more sense. Try and find a forward in a similar situation (about to get paid, team has enough forward depth to sustain their loss)...

Gotta get rid of Marc Staal. He's really clogging up the works.

Not really; I mean sure, if you can get a team to take Staal or Brendan Smith for 50% salary retained in return for a minor asset, you do it in a NY minute. Other than that I don't really see a solution; buying either out compounds the 7.5 million of dead cap space on their books for next season.

The Rangers have to make a decision between Kreider, DeAngelo, & Strome; basically you can keep 2 of the 3. Fast & Lemiuex(assuming both are retained) will fit under the cap with the remaining space.

Much better to just let Staal & Smith play through their contracts and let them expire for 2021-22 when the Rangers will have somewhere between 30-40 million in cap space to play with.

Not really; I mean sure, if you can get a team to take Staal or Brendan Smith for 50% salary retained in return for a minor asset, you do it in a NY minute. Other than that I don't really see a solution; buying either out compounds the 7.5 million of dead cap space on their books for next season.

The Rangers have to make a decision between Kreider, DeAngelo, & Strome; basically you can keep 2 of the 3. Fast & Lemiuex(assuming both are retained) will fit under the cap with the remaining space.

Much better to just let Staal & Smith play through their contracts and let them expire for 2021-22 when the Rangers will have somewhere between 30-40 million in cap space to play with.

I'm with Muddy on this one! We got ourselves in enough deep shit with buyouts. No need to make that any deeper. After next year's debacle with Shatty's 6.4 million tagging our ass, we' should be fairly clear with the exception of Girardi's 1.11 million, and the rest of Shatty's 1.43.

I don't think next season is going to be a run at the cup, so why bother. Just let them play out their deals, same with Hank. After next season this team can go crazy if they wanna in free agency and bring in whatever lacks and seriously take a run at the playoffs. That'll give these young guys a chance to put another season under their belt and progress even more.

Being patient with this rebuild is clutch!

• Like 1

I'm with Muddy on this one! We got ourselves in enough deep shit with buyouts. No need to make that any deeper. After next year's debacle with Shatty's 6.4 million tagging our ass, we' should be fairly clear with the exception of Girardi's 1.11 million, and the rest of Shatty's 1.43.

I don't think next season is going to be a run at the cup, so why bother. Just let them play out their deals, same with Hank. After next season this team can go crazy if they wanna in free agency and bring in whatever lacks and seriously take a run at the playoffs. That'll give these young guys a chance to put another season under their belt and progress even more.

Being patient with this rebuild is clutch!

agreed 100. they've done well out of the break, but seem to be going the wrong way in the standings. we are so close to turning this around. 2 years no one will want to face us.

Of course. I'm just talking in terms of roster space. Staal is taking up a role when he shouldn't be. Can't buy him out. Can't buy out Smith. I would try to get creative in moving Smith though. He has really become as useless as tits on a bull.

Much like Hank, Staal will just have to fade away after next season.

Of course. I'm just talking in terms of roster space. Staal is taking up a role when he shouldn't be. Can't buy him out. Can't buy out Smith. I would try to get creative in moving Smith though. He has really become as useless as tits on a bull.

With how diguiseppe has been playing I don?t ever wanna see smith in a rangers jersey again. Send him to Hartford to get rid of the cap hit.

If we agree that the salary is quasi-unmovable, Staal simply just becomes the highest paid 7th defenseman in the league, assuming all the LHD talent starts knocking down the door between now and the end of next season.

Curious to see what Rykov can do at the NHL level, and would not mind giving Hajek another look; everyone else(Miller, Jones, etc...) should take their time to develop.

If we agree that the salary is quasi-unmovable, Staal simply just becomes the highest paid 7th defenseman in the league, assuming all the LHD talent starts knocking down the door between now and the end of next season.

Curious to see what Rykov can do at the NHL level, and would not mind giving Hajek another look; everyone else(Miller, Jones, etc...) should take their time to develop.

Sure. In fact, I'd like to see Miller and Jones go the AHL first. I think the Rangers should make a habit of sending young players there first. They're not desperate to fill roster spots in the NHL so just let them marinate a bit.

I too would like to see Rykov come up. Maybe with Kravstov at deadline?

Why can’t Staal be bought out? If he is, he cap hit changes from 5.7m to 2.1m and in 21/22 it would be 1.066m.

If you bought out Smith, it goes from 4.35m to 2.7m and in 21/22 783k

These both are minimal. I’m not sure if they count against the max contracts though but I’d assume no.

Why can’t Staal be bought out? If he is, he cap hit changes from 5.7m to 2.1m and in 21/22 it would be 1.066m.

If you bought out Smith, it goes from 4.35m to 2.7m and in 21/22 783k

These both are minimal. I’m not sure if they count against the max contracts though but I’d assume no.

We just need to stop buying people out. It's an insane waste of money and cap. It's bad business as well. Sure, it's only 2.1 against the cap next year but comine that with 7.5 for Shattenkirk and you're paying almost 10m in cap for two players that aren't even on the ice.