• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Shesterkin Wins the Job?

BrooksBurner

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you’re hoping he flops.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

No I hope people such as yourself learn to understand that it's not a coincidence that all but 1 of the top 5 goalies in SP% with 20 GP play for teams in the bottom 8 of the league in SA/GP.

Shesty has played 6 games and 4 of them against the bottom 8 in the NHL in goals scored. He's played against 2 good teams and in those games he's had a .900 and a .906 SP%.

• Like 1

It's not like he didn't play tough teams. Colorado and Toronto can score like mad.

Shesty has played 6 games and 4 of them against the bottom 8 in the NHL in goals scored. He's played against 2 good teams and in those games he's had a .900 and a .906 SP%.

Like I said....

Right, that's how it works. North of .900 against dynamic offensive teams, in which he was stellar, and feast on the others. That's an All Star goalie

He's the best goalie on the roster. It's not even close.

Where did you read this? Who says this is how it works? The Gospel according to Dunny?

BTW who said he was stellar? You? OK well I guess if that's the bar...

No I hope people such as yourself learn to understand that it's not a coincidence that all but 1 of the top 5 goalies in SP% with 20 GP play for teams in the bottom 8 of the league in SA/GP.

Perhaps you should learn that all goaltenders accumulate stats against all teams. Guess what, the top goaltenders in this league play against the spectrum also.

This isn?t some C prospect who came out of no where was been hot for a week. He?s young and inexperienced, and we will see some lows also.

But it?s not even close who the best goaltender on this club is right now, nor is it in question who is the future.

• Like 1

Perhaps you should learn that all goaltenders accumulate stats against all teams. Guess what, the top goaltenders in this league play against the spectrum also.

This isn?t some C prospect who came out of no where was been hot for a week. He?s young and inexperienced, and we will see some lows also.

But it?s not even close who the best goaltender on this club is right now, nor is it in question who is the future.

Learn "small sample size".

Igor is going to be great. Today, all 3 goalies give you the same chance to win.

Learn "small sample size".

Igor is going to be great. Today, all 3 goalies give you the same chance to win.

Be that as it may, it seems like the correct decision to ride Shesterkin for a bit now. We know what we have in both Lundqvist and Georgiev.

As for Shesterkin, yeah, the sample size is small. Yeah, he's had some "easy" starts. But you can only beat what is put in front of you. And he's done absolutely everything you could possibly ask for with the chances he's been given. I agree it's too early to say with any sort of conviction. But, from a pure eye test perspective, he sure looks like he gives the team the best chance to win.

It's also good because

a) I hate the 3 goalie solution. It's a complete road to nowhere and

b) Shesterkin is one of the few things that make the Rangers worth watching at the moment

Be that as it may, it seems like the correct decision to ride Shesterkin for a bit now. We know what we have in both Lundqvist and Georgiev.

As for Shesterkin, yeah, the sample size is small. Yeah, he's had some "easy" starts. But you can only beat what is put in front of you. And he's done absolutely everything you could possibly ask for with the chances he's been given. I agree it's too early to say with any sort of conviction. But, from a pure eye test perspective, he sure looks like he gives the team the best chance to win.

It's also good because

b) Shesterkin is one of the few things that make the Rangers worth watching at the moment

All fair points, and I agree about only being able to handle what's in front of you.

It just seems like this fan base is in a rush with everything. Half a dozen games from Shesty and it's time to buyout Lundqvist. Chytil finally doing that's that get noticed on the third line and he's now ready to face the top D in the league with Panarin.

Patience is in short supply around these parts.

It's also good because

I agree that Shesterkin is one of the best things to watch right now. So much so, that Gorton should stop overplaying his hand(like he may have with Toronto), and just flip Georgiev for a 2nd(or 3rd) round pick and move on from this awful 3 goalie situation that only lowers his(Georgiev's) value the longer it goes on. Lundquist is not going anywhere until that contract expires; so just have him split the time with Shesterkin until the end of next season.

All fair points, and I agree about only being able to handle what's in front of you.

It just seems like this fan base is in a rush with everything. Half a dozen games from Shesty and it's time to buyout Lundqvist. Chytil finally doing that's that get noticed on the third line and he's now ready to face the top D in the league with Panarin.

Patience is in short supply around these parts.

Easy to understand why, though.

We're on three years of being pretty meh. We're not yet seeing the benefits of being non-competitive for three years - it's there in glimpses and spurts, but not consistently. We swung HARD in the offseason for pieces we would need moving forward, but that pivoted the conversation from "Are we getting a top 5" to "could we make the playoffs?"

We're also in that exact space we hung out in for way too long back in the early 00s - not good enough for the playoffs, but good enough to knock ourselves out of the top-tier youth in the draft. Haunting old memories.

I get why people are desperate for the accelerator. I'm just not really sure why we want to hit it now.

IMO, we're on the right track, right pace, right damn near everything. We're at a point where we need time, and probably another decent pick.

I hope they play him against Columbus and Boston next Sunday. I wanna see Shesty under attack by the big teams. I think he can hold up, but I wanna see him under fire by teams that are going to be playing for the Cup.

It's a different ballgame facing grade A chances by Boston, and the Capitals. 43 shots last night, that's pretty good, don't get me wrong..... but if he faces 43 shots from Boston, Pittsburgh or Columbus, that's a whole different type of attack. I wanna see him against those teams.

That will show me what I wanna see.

If the guy gives up 5 goals on 40 shots to those teams, I'm not going to be surprised, but I wanna see how he "looks" against those type teams' Grade A chances.