• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Could be Gotten for Tony DeAngelo?

Slobberknocker

coming in this morning listening to NHL on fan fest friday, the usual Leafs discussion centers around them sucking on the blue line.

My question to the board is if he is a good fit for a trade up there and what can we get?

I don't want to trade this guy because I view him somewhat (don't kill me) as a poor man's Zubov, and I know his dee is suspect but damn if he sees the rink.

coming in this morning listening to NHL on fan fest friday, the usual Leafs discussion centers around them sucking on the blue line.

My question to the board is if he is a good fit for a trade up there and what can we get?

I don't want to trade this guy because I view him somewhat (don't kill me) as a poor man's Zubov, and I know his dee is suspect but damn if he sees the rink.

No one's gonna kill you, Slobby! ;)

It's just that opinions differ on certain players. I can see where you're coming from, and I don't think you're wrong on your preference to keep Tony D. He's a very offensively talented player, and can do a world of good for a team. I just think that with the confidence that the team seems to have in the players coming up the pipeline, we could possibly use Tony D to acquire, or fill the holes in our forward attack.

Bobby Sanguinetti, Dylan McIlrath, Michael Sauer. Three guys in the pipeline that didn’t work because of suckage or injury. You don’t try to trade because unknowns are supposed to be good. ADA is an rfa. Even if he got 5.5 on a one year arbitration, or signed a bridge deal, he will be just as tradeable in the future if those unknowns turn out to be awesome and we need the room. At worst after next year Staal and Smith are gone. Fox is at his contract until 2022 so that’s a better time to make a decision as well.

As to the question, it depends. This is his first real year of proving himself to posses elite offensive talent. You’ll probably fetch a great pick or a fwd with potential that might or might not develop more.

Bobby Sanguinetti, Dylan McIlrath, Michael Sauer. Three guys in the pipeline that didn’t work because of suckage or injury. You don’t try to trade because unknowns are supposed to be good. ADA is an rfa. Even if he got 5.5 on a one year arbitration, or signed a bridge deal, he will be just as tradeable in the future if those unknowns turn out to be awesome and we need the room. At worst after next year Staal and Smith are gone. Fox is at his contract until 2022 so that’s a better time to make a decision as well.

As to the question, it depends. This is his first real year of proving himself to posses elite offensive talent. You’ll probably fetch a great pick or a fwd with potential that might or might not develop more.

I think that's the route they going to go with ADA. Sign him to whatever arbitration awards him, and maybe trade him if someone gives a great return

I think you are much better off trading Brady Skeij if DeAngelo can effectively play the left side. I believe that you need true balance between offensive minded defenseman, and more stay at home types on the left and right side; we are way top heavy on the right side. Skeij is really neither, but has way too many breakdowns on the back end.

They need at least another Lingdren type of defenseman for players like Fox & DeAngelo to be most effective.

I think you are much better off trading Brady Skeij if DeAngelo can effectively play the left side. I believe that you need true balance between offensive minded defenseman, and more stay at home types on the left and right side; we are way top heavy on the right side. Skeij is really neither, but has way too many breakdowns on the back end.

They need at least another Lingdren type of defenseman for players like Fox & DeAngelo to be most effective.

assuming someone wants Skeij

I think that's the route they going to go with ADA. Sign him to whatever arbitration awards him, and maybe trade him if someone gives a great return

I'm not against a one year "lets see" kind of deal with arbitration. I don't think the Rangers are going to be a playoff team next season anyway and I also don't think many of those pipeliners will be very seasoned to say the least. It does buy time (arbitration) and right now as Mick so eloquently put it....is on our side! (Oh that's bad Oz!! :rofl:)

But I can see a one year arb not really hurting anything...especially if we can move/trade someone to make him and a couple others fit.

I just think with his value right now being what it is, we could land something really of value....

I'd look at Calgary. They just lost Giordano long-term. Mangiapane, plus.

....and that very well may be the landing area for Tony D.

Gotta tell ya man, this year has been a tough read to see what we're gonna do at the deadline. One day it's one guy on the block, and the next day it's another. I can't wait to see how they do this!

Here's what I found on Giordano: (from a fantasy hockey website)

http://www.rotoworld.com/hockey/nhl/player/23597/mark-giordano

Mark Giordano (hamstring) has been placed on injured reserve.

Giordano doesn't have a timetable for his return at this time, but Flames GM Brad Treliving said surgery won't be required. It's a better prognosis than initially feared for the Calgary blueliner and the team expects to know more in a week. Giordano is considered to be week-to-week for the time being.

Gostisbehere in Philly seems like a similar type of player to Tony D. He had a studly rookie season, a decent 2nd season, signed a long-term deal eating up some ufa years, crushed it his 3rd year and now looks like ass and could probably be taken from Philly for cheap. I'm thinking that if you're using Ghost Bear as a comparable, a 2 year $9 mill bridge deal is worth it...and gives you longer to access what he really is.

Maybe in style, but certainly not in pedigree.

Gostisbehere was a much later pick, worked his way through college, and came out of nowhere with NHL success.

Deangelo was a 1st rounder, utterly dominated major junior to the point of absurdity, then went through some rough times. I'm pretty confident in his continued offensive production.

Maybe in style, but certainly not in pedigree.

Gostisbehere was a much later pick, worked his way through college, and came out of nowhere with NHL success.

Deangelo was a 1st rounder, utterly dominated major junior to the point of absurdity, then went through some rough times. I'm pretty confident in his continued offensive production.

AgreeD. ADA is far more talented offensively. He’s dynamic. Ghost meh. ADAs problem was always what’s between his head. He was dominant in the O.

AgreeD. ADA is far more talented offensively. He’s dynamic. Ghost meh. ADAs problem was always what’s between his head. He was dominant in the O.

Ghost put up 65 points in 78 games... I think that's pretty dynamic. Tony D, with as great as he's been offensively this season, is pacing slightly behind that number.

Ghost put up 65 points in 78 games... I think that's pretty dynamic. Tony D, with as great as he's been offensively this season, is pacing slightly behind that number.

Well I’m just going by who’s shown it his entire development. There’s a reason ADA is a 1st round pick as opposed to a 3rd round pick. Ghost has had a great early career that’s partly up and down. What ADA is doing now is what he’s been projected to do and I personally feel he’s more dynamic and a much better skater. Just an opinion.