• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Would Be "Foolish Not to Listen" to Offers on Jacob Trouba

Phil

I'm not advocating trading Trouba, but Uncle Larry's rationale for being willing to entertain the possibility is sound. It's the last chance to trade a guy for seven years. You have to take a look and confirm to yourself that you are very comfortable with the player (at his price) at that point. That doesn't mean you're shopping the guy. It means he's necessarily under review.

I'm not advocating trading Trouba, but Uncle Larry's rationale for being willing to entertain the possibility is sound. It's the last chance to trade a guy for seven years. You have to take a look and confirm to yourself that you are very comfortable with the player (at his price) at that point. That doesn't mean you're shopping the guy. It means he's necessarily under review.

Yup. Exactly. Especially if a team like Chicago calls up and offers a Debrincat, or Nashville and Forsberg. There's probably scenarios out there where it would be a disservice to the team not to listen.

This is an inch filler

Nothing more

Yes, Trouba has been underwhelming thus far, and he’s clearly overpaid. But it’s not as though he’s been outright bad

He’s been about league average, in a young team, playing in not a great system with a struggling partner.

Sends a terrible message to move him.

And even with no clause existing to prevent him from being moved right now, the money is such a huge commitment that it alone likely precludes a trade

Trouba has a really premium contract, perhaps greater than what he would have gotten as a UFA, because he had the Rangers behind the 8 ball, as they had already given up a first round pick and a decent roster player for him. I don't think we will get offers for him without retention, but if we do, they would not be for much or would involve problem contracts. I would not trade him with retention.

Trouba was highly taunted and was going to " shore up the Rangers defense ". And in at training camp he was noted as knocking the rookies to the ice and just playing a very physical style. In the first part of the season he didn't seem to me to be an overtly physical defenseman and I was a little butt hurt by that because that's what I really wanted to see from him. Watching him play now is great because he's playing the body MUCH more in my opinion, and he's looking alot more like the big, physically intimidating defenseman that I thought we signed. I like the Trouba now and don't want to see him go because he may be a little over paid.

Yup. Exactly. Especially if a team like Chicago calls up and offers a Debrincat, or Nashville and Forsberg. There's probably scenarios out there where it would be a disservice to the team not to listen.

Oh, so then everyone is available. Even Shestyorkin? What if a team offers 2 top prospects and a 1st rounder?

Not everyone needs to be or should be traded. Trouba is overpaid, but is significantly better all around than anyone in the system. He adds a dynamic that is sorely lacking. He's the only guy I'd consider an anchor back there.

Oh, so then everyone is available. Even Shestyorkin? What if a team offers 2 top prospects and a 1st rounder?

Not everyone needs to be or should be traded. Trouba is overpaid, but is significantly better all around than anyone in the system. He adds a dynamic that is sorely lacking. He's the only guy I'd consider an anchor back there.

No. Shesterkin doesn't force a cap saving decision to be made elsewhere. I like Trouba and the kind of game he brings. If there's better ways to use 8M cap space I'm open to it though.