Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do Something About This Absurd [Points] System!

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    There was no great groundswell demanding OT when it was first instituted, and there were far fewer regulation ties back then. I don't think you should get 2 points for a 3 on 3 skills competition, much less a shootout. Here are the regulation records of the Rangers and the two current wildcard teams, with points awarded 2-1-0, as they were through 1983.

NYI 19-15-17 55 Pts
    Phil 20-17-16 56 Pts
    NYR 23-22-7 53 Pts

We should be two points out of a playoff spot. I don't understand why the hockey press is not constantly pulling up numbers like these and decrying the number of ties (NY Tielanders)
    Awesome stuff..

I really think we have seen an entirely different brand of hockey created because of the OT and shootout changes. Play for the tie and hope your show ponies are better than their in the skills contest (or hope Robin Lehner is on the other team)

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    While we are looking to change things, why are we limiting ourselves to only playing on ice?

Senior Member Squirt Division
    They can do like they do in my hockey tournaments.
    10 points for a win + 1 point for every goal you win by.
    5 points for a tie.
    No overtime.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Sorry...I remember the games when both teams played not to lose towards the end of the game to ensure they still get a point. No overtime? No thank you. The 3-3 is entertaining as hell. One of the things the NHL has done right for the entertainment value of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Sorry...I remember the games when both teams played not to lose towards the end of the game to ensure they still get a point. No overtime? No thank you. The 3-3 is entertaining as hell. One of the things the NHL has done right for the entertainment value of the game.
    But that's exactly what they do now in regulation, far more so than pre-OT days. That's why there are so many more reg. ties now than in pre-OT days. Back then, if you wanted two points, you had to go for it in regulation. Now, the rational approach is to take no risks in regulation, secure the point, and then go for wins in regulation win, if taking a risk blows up on you and the other team scores, you still get a point. Look at the records I just quoted. There's your proof.

Senior Member Squirt Division jsm7302's Avatar
    I think 2 points for a regulation win and 1 point for a 3 on 3 OT win, none for a loss either way is the route to go.

Senior Member Squirt Division jsm7302's Avatar
    Loser points are lame. I don't care that it went into OT; you play to win the game not survive for a point.

Quote Originally Posted by jsm7302 View Post
    I think 2 points for a regulation win and 1 point for a 3 on 3 OT win, none for a loss either way is the route to go.
    Yes - If you can't get it done in regulation then you just lost a point. If you can't get it done in OT then you go home a loser.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division leetchy2's Avatar
    Yeah it's nonsense that 3 points are given out if a game goes into overtime but only 2 points handed out if the game ends in regulation with a winner. Highly non-equitable scoring system.

I like the suggestion from a previous poster: regulation winner = 3 pts, OT winner = 2pts, OT loser = 1 pt, regulation loser = 0 pts. Not very traditional but it's equitable and would be exciting coming down the stretch run of a playoff race with all the possible combinations. But I'd be just as happy to get rid of the shootout and have a traditional 5 on 5 (or even 4 on 4) 10-minute overtime with 2 pts to the winner, 0 pts to the loser and 1 pt each if it stays tied after the OT.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Just win the games. Points don't matter if you just win the games you play.
    GORTON 2020

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    But that's exactly what they do now in regulation, far more so than pre-OT days. That's why there are so many more reg. ties now than in pre-OT days. Back then, if you wanted two points, you had to go for it in regulation. Now, the rational approach is to take no risks in regulation, secure the point, and then go for wins in regulation win, if taking a risk blows up on you and the other team scores, you still get a point. Look at the records I just quoted. There's your proof.
    It's a hair different from back then in the sense that if you got to OT, you defended the SHIT out of your point. OT goals were just not nearly as common, because it was in your best interest to play conservatively and let your opponent give you an opening.

I'd prefer a system where every game awards 3 points. Win in regulation? Get all 3. Win in OT? Opponent stole one of your points.

Also, just stop with the fucking shootout. 3 on 3 is awesome.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12