• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A More Forceful Decision Is Needed With Lundqvist

Keirik

There's a lot of moving parts that would have to fall into place for a trade to work.

1. Lundqvist would have to decide he was willing to leave the Rangers.

2. A playoff contender would have to decide Lundqvist was the missing piece for a deep playoff run.

3. Rangers and team would have to come up with a trade that made sense. How many quality years would the acquiring team be looking to get from Lundqvist?

You came up with an interesting list of teams. Colorado, Carolina, and Arizona lack a clear no. 1, but have been good enough in goal. Other than St Louis, the Western Conference doesn't have much separation.

Of your list, I'd say with Edmonton's lineup, they are most capable of a deep playoff run with an upgrade in goal. Is Lundqvist willing to accept a trade to Edmonton at this point of his career?

I still think the most likely scenario is that Lundqvist plays the next year and a half in New York. Maybe during the summer there's more time to figure something out. But I'd bet a month's paycheck that he's with the Rangers through the end of next season.

I agree.

That said, I'm not really sure why I actually think we might be at a point where Hank just wants to play pretty soon.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, there are no happy ending alternatives with Hank being in a Rangers uniform.

In my mind, the reality of the situation say that you put all 3 goaltenders in a hat and pull a name before every game, I can't say with any confidence that one of the 3 are clearly the best, or the worst of the bunch. The defense is a sieve far too often, requiring a stand on the head performance by the goalie. The 3 goalie rotation is a terrible plan- its the hockey equivalent of a QB rotation in football.. If you have 3 goalies, you don't have a goalie..

The part that hurts is there is absolutely no benefit in playing Hank the rest of the year- This team is not going to make a run (its not even going to sniff the playoffs if we are being honest here). The other 2 may not give the team a better chance to win today, but they do learn and benefit from the experience and hopefully help win tomorrow. The only positive outcome is Hank asks for a trade and gets one more shot at a playoff run. I don't see it happening sadly, and its going to make the rest of this year hard - as Igor probably should get the bulk of the starts with Georgiev getting 30% of the remaining starts.. Hank really should be eating popcorn in a suit the rest of the year.

• Like 1

Sadly, there are no happy ending alternatives with Hank being in a Rangers uniform.

In my mind, the reality of the situation say that you put all 3 goaltenders in a hat and pull a name before every game, I can't say with any confidence that one of the 3 are clearly the best, or the worst of the bunch. The defense is a sieve far too often, requiring a stand on the head performance by the goalie. The 3 goalie rotation is a terrible plan- its the hockey equivalent of a QB rotation in football.. If you have 3 goalies, you don't have a goalie..

The part that hurts is there is absolutely no benefit in playing Hank the rest of the year- This team is not going to make a run (its not even going to sniff the playoffs if we are being honest here). The other 2 may not give the team a better chance to win today, but they do learn and benefit from the experience and hopefully help win tomorrow. The only positive outcome is Hank asks for a trade and gets one more shot at a playoff run. I don't see it happening sadly, and its going to make the rest of this year hard - as Igor probably should get the bulk of the starts with Georgiev getting 30% of the remaining starts.. Hank really should be eating popcorn in a suit the rest of the year.

No benefit to playing Hank, then don’t play him. Shesty seems to bring added energy, but like you say not much difference in winning now. We need to be developing the young guys. That should be all that matters.

BUY HIM OUT!!!!

I don't see it happening, my man.

First off it's a PR nightmare. The guy has been the backbone of this team since he's gotten here, and as much as I would like to see him win a cup and make room for the other 2 here, I'd rather not see them buy him out.

Number 2 - a buyout just eats up dead cap space...we have a metric fuck ton of it next season already.

Number 3 - as much as some outsiders think this team can make the playoffs, it seriously has a better chance of eating 6 apples and shitting a fruit salad of making it....probably even next season to boot.

Lets let all the bullshit fall by the wayside and rebuild this team correctly; no need to rush it. We've come this far and we're going to build a perrenial powerhouse as long as we don't screw around trying to do crazy shit. We'll clear space for the young players...when they're ready. We have players here that are proving they need more time in the cooker, so no rush! ;)

The usual from the usual that want this guy, that guy, any guy dumped. If people who are supposedly adults actually believe that the NYR mgmt. & H.L. haven't had discussions as to what has and will be happening, then those apples will be applesauce for all to eat after the defecation occurs. There will be dignity and respect from all parties concerned; something that is sorely lacking here. The guy has carried this team for 1 1/2 decades and has earned an immediate place in the HOF and a#30 retirement. WTH would like to see him thrown away like yesterday's news? Oh yeah. The negative nellies that have all the answers to all the questions that they most probably know zilch about!!! Some people can't even have a positive outlook on the rest of this season, and some ardently declare that it's over for the NYR! How about trying in earnest to enjoy watching and rooting for all of the players!! Completely asinine if one is a true NYR fan. T.S.G. and get a life.

Wait, you quote me from like 120 messages ago and I’m the one that wants to argue? I f you never take me seriously that’s fine. Who cares? Lol. It’s a message board. We discuss things. Otherwise what’s the point of the board?

Their stats are nearly identical this year. Would I start Henrik in a big playoff game over Georgiev today? Of course. They don’t have to worry about that though. The difference is, one player has a chance to trend upwards. One does not on this team. I’ve never said Hank is washed up. He’s just not an 8m goalie and his career is almost over. Having him on the roster next year just isn’t in our best interests , especially with two young goalies on a team with a top notch goalie coach.

If the Rangers were poised for a cup run next year this would be a different conversation. I just think it’s ridiculous to have to say goodbye to another young player, be it goalie or 24/26 year old rfa because we have to instead go through a Hank goodbye tour and distraction next year all season.

And yeah. Messier HAD to be traded. So does Henrik but it seems the only way that would happen is if he’s basically approached in a different way than previously. The Rangers really don’t owe him any more than they’ve already done.

He’s played 4 games in 2020. I’m sure a part of this is to see if Hank changes his mind. Bringing up players that have left their team in various situations might not mean anything to YOU but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t mean anything to the fans of an organization. Trading a player like Leetch or not signing Messier are two example with THIS organization that guys not asking to leave have left yet the fan base goes on. Why is it different when Leetch gets traded and only plays one more year? Hank is going to play.....about 1 more year or possibly 2.

There. That was Leetch. He got over it. Hank would too. Era doesn’t matter one iota in my mind. Hell, being bought out allows you to negotiate on your own with every other team rather than the team trying to find a trade fit.

You're just going to keep saying the same thing and so am I.

My whole argument against you is that quote. I'm NOT AGAINST TRADING LUNDQVIST, nor do I think that it would hurt the relationship or cause a PR disaster. How many times do I have to say that?

You've implied that Lundqvist isn't any good and I think you said Georgiev is his equal. Georgiev couldn't hold Lundqvists shampoo bottle.. I don't care how old he is or what the stats suggest. Lundqvist is better and may still be the best goalie on the roster.

Which is it? Messier getting traded or Neil Smith not paying Messier for the past as a free agent? Messier got traded from Edmonton because he was about to hit UFA status and wanted out of Edmonton. He AND Gretzky, wanted out. It didn't sit very well with the fans for quite some time. Leetch was also traded. Do? I see no issue with a trade, and think that is the avenue both sides would prefer.

Era does matter. If there's no salary cap, we aren't concerned with dealing Lundqvist. It's that simple. He'd pass the torch, much like how it was done in the past.

You're just going to keep saying the same thing and so am I.

My whole argument against you is that quote. I'm NOT AGAINST TRADING LUNDQVIST, nor do I think that it would hurt the relationship or cause a PR disaster. How many times do I have to say that?

You've implied that Lundqvist isn't any good and I think you said Georgiev is his equal. Georgiev couldn't hold Lundqvists shampoo bottle.. I don't care how old he is or what the stats suggest. Lundqvist is better and may still be the best goalie on the roster.

Which is it? Messier getting traded or Neil Smith not paying Messier for the past as a free agent? Messier got traded from Edmonton because he was about to hit UFA status and wanted out of Edmonton. He AND Gretzky, wanted out. It didn't sit very well with the fans for quite some time. Leetch was also traded. Do? I see no issue with a trade, and think that is the avenue both sides would prefer.

Era does matter. If there's no salary cap, we aren't concerned with dealing Lundqvist. It's that simple. He'd pass the torch, much like how it was done in the past.

You’re taking literally what I said in a throw away sentence about Henrik and Georgiev and blowing the whole point way past the intent. The point was I’m not trying to say Georgiev is better but they are better off seeing what he can become rather than trading him away because they have to cater to Henrik.

I’ll say it for the last time. This year their stats are identical. IDENTICAL. Not sure how else to say it. Would I prefer Henrik over Georgiev in a playoff game? Yes. Is that an option? No. One is 24 though and has room to improve. One is at the end. I have never implied that Hank isn’t any good. When I first started this thread I specifically even said Hank is not washed up. I’m sorry if you want to read more than is there. He’s at the end of his Rangers career. He’s become the third string here just be defacto that two other guys are significantly younger and could be part of their future just as Hank was once getting his chance. We all feel bad but this is life.

Okay, we disagree about era mattering. I don’t think it does because buying out Hank at this point in his career to me is the exact same thing as trading Leetch when he made it clear he wanted to go nowhere as well and was at the end of his career. There are three possibilities for buyouts between Smith, Staal, and Henrik. There is one that clearly is head and shoulders above the other from a hockey sense in my mind and that’s Hank.

Enjoy your night dude. I’m not going to keep bickering. We will agree to disagree.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Seems like he did, no? Hence "same three goalies" will be on the roster.

If theyre not calling about Henrik, they'd be calling about Georgiev. Or, Georgiev really sucks, and/or Brooks really sucks.

"But they tweeted he isnt available" uh huh, that's not how GMs work at the deadline.

I don't see it happening, my man.

First off it's a PR nightmare. The guy has been the backbone of this team since he's gotten here, and as much as I would like to see him win a cup and make room for the other 2 here, I'd rather not see them buy him out.

Number 2 - a buyout just eats up dead cap space...we have a metric fuck ton of it next season already.

Number 3 - as much as some outsiders think this team can make the playoffs, it seriously has a better chance of eating 6 apples and shitting a fruit salad of making it....probably even next season to boot.

Lets let all the bullshit fall by the wayside and rebuild this team correctly; no need to rush it. We've come this far and we're going to build a perrenial powerhouse as long as we don't screw around trying to do crazy shit. We'll clear space for the young players...when they're ready. We have players here that are proving they need more time in the cooker, so no rush! ;)

PR nightmare? Whatever nightmare you think that is, it has already happened by benching him for weeks now, so that ship has sailed.

PR nightmare? Whatever nightmare you think that is, it has already happened by benching him for weeks now, so that ship has sailed.

Dare I say, the media hasnt even batted an eye at Hank playing so little.

I get the optics suck, but is it really a PR nightmare?

...just a road we don't need to go down. The guy's been the backbone of this franchise for his whole career; Let him have his farewell tour. If Hank rescinds his no trade clause, then fine...But even though I know it's "a business", there are some players that have earned the right to finish the way they choose.

Listen...I want him gone more than you guys...BELIEVE ME!!! But there are some things you just leave be.

If there's any player(s) that should be gone it's Staal and Brendan Smith. Those fuckers can't go fast enough!!! The two of them are tagging the cap for 10 million!!! :doh:

I think the message they're giving him is pretty forceful.

Shesterkin is the undisputed number 1, and Georgie needs the games. He's a bit part player at this point.

It might be a slightly passive aggressive way of doing it, but they're being very clear that he is now a part of the past.