• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jesper Fast: Deal or No Deal?

Using Mike Murphy's article on Blueshirt Banter this morning as the basis for this discussion, I think that Jesper Fast presents a real conundrum for the Rangers.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2020/2/1/21117183/determining-jesper-fasts-trade-value-trade-deadline-rumor-new-york-rangers-ufa

According to the article, Fast represents a conditional 3rd round pick to the Rangers using the Carl Hagelin trade from the Kings to the Caps last season as a comp. If that is accurate, I have to say that sounds unbelievably underwhelming. It begs the question, who do the Rangers have in the pipeline that can step in and play his role. I don't really get what Quinn is doing putting him on Panarin's off wing(other than maybe showcasing him for a trade), but for a bottom six winger he easily has 3-4 more productive seasons.

Assuming that you are as underwhelmed as I am with a 3rd round pick as a return, what do you think would be a fair cap hit/term to resign him at? Given the overhaul of this team for the last 3 years, keeping some form of continuity makes sense to me. I would be comfortable giving him the same 2.75 million/4 years that the Caps gave Hagelin(since we are using him as a comparison), as much of a slight overpay as it is.

What would you do? Does a 2nd round pick for Fast get it done for you? Discuss among yourselves.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He probably resigns for a modest raise.

He's on Panarin wing because there are 4 RW... We know why Buch is where he is, Quinn said he's not putting Kakko against the leagues best D (nor should he), which leaves Fast as defacto winger there.

Unless anyone thinks McKegg, Smith, Howden should be there...?

Ideally, you get him to return for something like $2.5M for three or four years. Anything around $3M is pushing it for a guy who isn't outpacing his numbers from two seasons while now on Panarin's wing. I like Fast and think he's an important member of the team, but you also can't shell out too hard for players like him. It would be great if he'd take a discount.

Ideally, you get him to return for something like $2.5M for three or four years. Anything around $3M is pushing it for a guy who isn't outpacing his numbers from two seasons while now on Panarin's wing. I like Fast and think he's an important member of the team, but you also can't shell out too hard for players like him. It would be great if he'd take a discount.

On board with this, but after we trade him for the rest of this year.

To OP: even if it's only a 3rd rounder in return, it can be used to move up elsewhere in the draft to select a player they want.

I'd be good with this as well. I wouldn't be upset if he was dealt but I'd like to keep Fast if possible.

20-30 point player. Keep it under 3 mil and we win; agree with the argument that some continuity during these rebuilding times is good. Plus the squad has already iterated their admiration for his dedication to the team. The type of guy you keep around for morale.

Sigh. The random hot take.

$2.5 is not a lot for a 3rd 4th line tweener.

If he was a "difference maker" he'd be getting more than $2.5.

He's worth more to the team than he's worth in a trade.

You can't trade everyone who's hitting UFA. Team needs cohesion. Gotta keep players who play the game the right way and cost nothing.

He's a no brainer.

Sigh. The random hot take.

$2.5 is not a lot for a 3rd 4th line tweener.

If he was a "difference maker" he'd be getting more than $2.5.

He's worth more to the team than he's worth in a trade.

You can't trade everyone who's hitting UFA. Team needs cohesion. Gotta keep players who play the game the right way and cost nothing.

He's a no brainer.

This. He'll bring back a 3rd pick tops. If they can sign him to around 2.5m it's really not a difficult decision.

The only "problem" with Fast is consecutive coaches playing him higher in the lineup than he should be. He's a fine bottom six player.

This. He'll bring back a 3rd pick tops. If they can sign him to around 2.5m it's really not a difficult decision.

The only "problem" with Fast is consecutive coaches playing him higher in the lineup than he should be. He's a fine bottom six player.

Well that's just it. He's used in spots he shouldn't be. I feel like he's been given that advantage for so long, that that's his gig. If he's here as a bottom 6 guy or really just a 4th liner. Sure. Sign him up. That's not going to happen though. I'd rather ditch him and Buch and who ever else, and use that money on a free agent that belongs in the spot Fast is given. Gotta be a top six winger available in free agency this summer, in that 4-5 mill range. Or a trade to be made for one.

Sadly, if I think about it, Namestnikov (if deployed the way Fast has been), would have been a nice fit. Especially after seeing his production in Ottawa. .

It's not like they used that cap space... Maybe not an answer for the future, but it could have been a major hole filler for a playoff push, or even as a trade chip. Still wondering why they dumped him so fast. Not that I was a huge believer in his ability when he was here, but that was a shit return, that people look past a lot.

On board with this, but after we trade him for the rest of this year.

To OP: even if it's only a 3rd rounder in return, it can be used to move up elsewhere in the draft to select a player they want.

I think it's exactly this.

If someone wants to give you a higher-round pick for him, you do it, but you let him know damn clearly that he's welcome back.

Used in places he shouldn't be? So don't resign him because that's his decision?

Ridiculous and already discussed.

There are 4 RW spots. Buch has one. Quinn doesn't want Kakko up against the same D Panarin faces which makes sense, so Kakko is on 3rd line.

Unless you want Howden or Smith on Panarin's line, then Fast it is. It's not hard to understand.

I'd also say that if two coaches found a reason to play him in the top six, then there's probably a good reason he's in the top six. Whether it's process of elimination or otherwise.

if there's anyone on the team you'd want a young guy learning from, it's fast. As I said, bringing him back is a no-brainer.

Well that's just it. He's used in spots he shouldn't be. I feel like he's been given that advantage for so long, that that's his gig. If he's here as a bottom 6 guy or really just a 4th liner. Sure. Sign him up. That's not going to happen though. I'd rather ditch him and Buch and who ever else, and use that money on a free agent that belongs in the spot Fast is given. Gotta be a top six winger available in free agency this summer, in that 4-5 mill range. Or a trade to be made for one.

He's been given that advantage consistently just once, this season. Any other time he's been moved up it's been in a pinch or for a select number of games. He's a reliable player who both players and coaches adore. He doesn't score much himself but he's always doing the work to try and give others the opportunity to. If you don't see the tangible benefit of his play on both sides of the ice and in the locker room then I don't know what to tell you. These aren't aspects of his game that are suddenly relevant.

Take a look at the current lineup. Who's really playing above him? Kakko? He's been rough and Quinn doesn't want him against top units which assuredly would happen on a line with Panarin. Buchnevich? He's more effective with Kreider and Zib. Kravtsov is still learning North American hockey. Who's left? No one, and yet Fast still does his job well. His linemate leads the NHL in 5v5 production so he's clearly not precluding Panarin from anything.

Sadly, if I think about it, Namestnikov (if deployed the way Fast has been), would have been a nice fit. Especially after seeing his production in Ottawa. .

It's not like they used that cap space... Maybe not an answer for the future, but it could have been a major hole filler for a playoff push, or even as a trade chip. Still wondering why they dumped him so fast. Not that I was a huge believer in his ability when he was here, but that was a shit return, that people look past a lot.

Namestnikov has 22 points, the same number as Fast. A select number of posters lost their minds over a few games of production and now he's back to being a tweener in Ottawa's lineup. He's not better than Fast and costs twice as much.

Fast is worth more to the team than he is in a trade. Thinking the organization is better off trading him for a 3rd rounder, who may be an NHLer in 5 years (slim chances), is silly. Even if he doesn?t resign, that third rounder isn?t enough for me to say goodbye to Fast.