• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Seattle is Here: Release the Kraken!

Phil

On Wednesday, John Hoven of mayorsmanor.com, joined SXM NHL Network Radio and reported that a name has allegedly been decided on: Seattle Kraken.

“From everything that I’ve heard, it looks like Seattle Kraken is going to be the name,” Hoven said on the broadcast. “Which is quite surprising, actually, when I was given that information just a couple of days ago. I was a little bit in shock personally, just because we had been told several times previously that that was not the name that they were going for. It looked like they were leaning toward Sockeyes. And then now, I guess it’s come out that that was a name that’s been used in a book by an author. Maybe it was a fantasy novel, I’m not exactly sure, I haven’t done the research on what the book series was about. But it’s been out there I guess now for about five years or so.

“That just then creates one of those legal issues that the NHL tends to try to shy away from, trying to secure the rights and that sort of stuff. It’s one of the reasons why they’ve been so reluctant to use names of the past teams and things like that. And the AHL, they experienced that as well, putting a team in San Diego. They had to buy the Gulls’ name, which had been through about seven different leagues and was actually owned by a local junior team in San Diego. So they had to buy the logos, and the trademarks, and the names, and all that stuff. It’s just yet another process that complicates an already complicated situation trying to get an expansion franchise off the [ground and] get it up and running.”

“It looks like it’s a red, and there’s like a, what I call a teal-ish color,” he said. “It’s a lighter teal-ish color, and black. Those seem to be the primary colors they’re going to be going with.”

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2020/01/29/report-seattle-kraken-believed-to-be-name-for-nhl-seattle-franchise/

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just buy the rights to Sockeyes... I mean it's not that expensive considering you paid half a Billion dollars for the team.

Grown adult at an NHL game: "Yay! Go Kraken!"

...lame.

When you put it like that, is "Go Sockeyes" better?

No, they named the team after a mythical creature that predates said Neeson clip by, oh, centuries or so.

True, but would bet a small fortune some marketing geek sold this by running this clip. And they cannot wait to put it on their scoreboard.

You'd lose a small fortune. This isn't how naming works. At best, the fact they can license the Neeson clip would be referenced as a potential in arena and/or social moment, but it wouldn't come within a mile of the reason they'd consider it for the team's name.