• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

As Rangers Wait for Him to Turn Pro, Morgan Barron Eyes an NCAA Title for Cornell

Phil

The Rangers are paying very much attention, in particular, to a big, well-rounded junior winger named Morgan Barron. In fact, Rangers GM Jeff Gorton and coach David Quinn (who was there rooting on his alma mater) happened to stop by postgame to say hello to Barron.

The Rangers selected Barron in the sixth round (No. 174 overall) of the 2017 NHL entry draft. If that draft were redone today, Barron would certainly go much higher than that, likely in the second round, perhaps the top of the third.

His draft position is moot now and the Rangers patiently are awaiting his decision to turn pro, though it sure seems like he’ll be signing after this season and NCAA tournament are over.

“You see it once in a while,” Gorton said about late picks that blossom (the Rangers having a certain Hall of Fame-bound goalie they plucked in the seventh round once upon a time).

“Teams have had success with those guys. You always like to think you can when you’re at the draft table and your name is coming around. You like to think your fifth, sixth, seventh round, you’re going to hit on one of them. Yeah, it’s difficult. Obviously it’s a hard league to make. But kudos to our scouts who watched him basically in high school and throughout and felt the need to draft him and push for him. So far it’s turned out pretty well.”

Sometimes you swing and miss in the first round. Sometimes you hit a home run later. You hope to have fewer misses, naturally, but you also hope they more than even out.

“I call him a throwback,” Schafer said. “As a kid, he’ll do anything, as a coach, that you’ll ask. He’s a coach’s dream. What I mean by that is he wants constructive things. He wants to work on things as a player. He’s very cerebral. But what I mean by a throwback is he’s not distracted by all the noise. He’s not distracted by wanting to get to that next level. He just stays in the present, works hard with his teammates, works hard at his game. He’ll block shots in practice and not think anything of it. He’s a coach’s dream. That kind of leadership, that drops down to everybody else. Other guys are looking at, when one of the better players on your team has that kind of mentality it’s infectious. He’s humble, he works hard, he’s a gamer, a good teammate. I think that’s what makes him an outstanding prospect.”

https://theathletic.com/1564964/2020/01/28/as-the-rangers-wait-for-him-to-turn-pro-morgan-barron-eyes-an-ncaa-title-for-cornell/

I'm actually not that excited. He's a pro, for sure, but looks like a bottom six ceiling to me. His numbers are flattening out and it's a league where the big talents put up big numbers at a younger age.

Still, a great steal where he was picked.

I'm actually not that excited. He's a pro, for sure, but looks like a bottom six ceiling to me. His numbers are flattening out and it's a league where the big talents put up big numbers at a younger age.

Still, a great steal where he was picked.

yeah, you have to consider the context. We currently don't have a third-line center. If you can get one in the sixth round, you did good.

yeah, you have to consider the context. We currently don't have a third-line center. If you can get one in the sixth round, you did good.

I think he's been playing LW, mostly. Or what I've seen.

He's very underwhelming when you watch. He's kinda like Vesey. He's just there. And then scores once in awhile - mostly on plays that dont happen in the NHL.