• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Disregard Wait-and-See Deadline Narrative; Rangers Will Likely Sell

Phil

In other words, disregard the narrative about president John Davidson and general manager Jeff Gorton drawing up two sets of contingencies based upon the team?s status as a playoff contender. The standings will be essentially irrelevant as management looks two, three, four and maybe five years down the line, not one, two or three months.

No one in the front office believes the future is this June.

I can promise you this: The Rangers will not keep Chris Kreider through the deadline if he is not signed to a contract extension, even if the team runs off a 13-game winning streak. The same goes for the club?s other pending unrestricted free agent ? top-six winger, Jesper Fast. Similarly, the standings won?t determine whether the team keeps pending restricted free agents Tony DeAngelo and Ryan Strome.

These Rangers are in 13th place, better than only the Senators, Devils and Red Wings in the East, are 11 points behind second wild-card Carolina (while holding two games in hand) and would have to leapfrog five teams in order to end the postseason drought at two years. By the way, the Blueshirts have had a winning streak as long as three games once this year, the final three matches before Thanksgiving. No one is short-cutting the program in the hopes of making a wholly unrealistic run at eighth place.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/27/disregard-this-rangers-trade-deadline-narrative/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...duh? We're 11 points out, and barring some sort of planets aligning miracle, we'll probably be around 15 points out by the TDL.

Much more interested with what we do at the deadline now.

This year is fine, another deadline sale raises the white flag for next year, too. Probably the year after that, as well.

This year is fine, another deadline sale raises the white flag for next year, too. Probably the year after that, as well.

What do you suggest they do, out of interest?

If they can't agree a team friendly deal with Kreider then there is no option but to trade him at the deadline.

Fast could probably be kept around on a friendly deal as a locker room, glue guy type of thing. But saying trading him and Kreider (if no deal can be reached) is tantamount to waving the white flag on next season and beyond seems a wee bit hysterical if I'm being honest.

I'm actually very happy to see their plan is to target the years down the pike a bit. I think 5 years is a little far away, and that they'll be competitive before that; I'm thinking as soon as the 2021-2022 season or possibly the season after that, but the fact is that it seems JD and Gorton wanna do the right thing here, and build a perennial juggernaut....which I sure can wait for.

I think we have a better chance to be a lottery team again this year than we do of making the playoffs.

I'm waiting on pins and needles to see what we get for all these players in return...it's actually pretty cool to speculate who and from what team. I like the idea of being a seller though; A BIG seller...like saying adios to everyone not named Lemeiux.

i'd rather try to keep Strome, ADA than Fast and Kreid's.

i'm still of the opinion that they will look for more ready type guys than draft picks and projects.

best thing that happens is that, also they play well enough to lose down the stretch and fall into another top 3 draft slot.

given the dead money and expiring deals next year all signs point to a 21/22 start of a run.

So why people were giving me slack when i said the rangers are at least 5 years away from being a contender?

I think 5 years is way too far out to have any idea what the team will look like or the composition of any possible roster. It's just pure conjecture. It would be like me saying the Rangers are definitely winning the cup in 10 years. I think that's the reason you got flack.

What do you suggest they do, out of interest?

If they can't agree a team friendly deal with Kreider then there is no option but to trade him at the deadline.

Fast could probably be kept around on a friendly deal as a locker room, glue guy type of thing. But saying trading him and Kreider (if no deal can be reached) is tantamount to waving the white flag on next season and beyond seems a wee bit hysterical if I'm being honest.

Truthfully, and mentioned above, I think we'll see what they get in return for whatever they jettison at the deadline.

Wether it's picks or lineup ready guys should tell us a bit more about timelines.

This team has a good supply dead money on the books for next season as well. Hell, we have Shatty's 6.083 million, another 1.11 million for Girardi, and even 300K from Spooner still on the books. Not to mention, it's the last year of Hank's ($8.5), Staal's ($5.7) and Brendan Smith's ($4.35) deals.

That opens up approximately $27 million, and a load of possibilities.

Just gotta get through next season and then I think the shit hits the fan! ...In a good way!!!

This team has a good supply dead money on the books for next season as well. Hell, we have Shatty's 6.083 million, another 1.11 million for Girardi, and even 300K from Spooner still on the books. Not to mention, it's the last year of Hank's ($8.5), Staal's ($5.7) and Brendan Smith's ($4.35) deals.

That opens up approximately $27 million, and a load of possibilities.

Just gotta get through next season and then I think the shit hits the fan! ...In a good way!!!

Basically this. I think they'll use this deadline and the offseason to unload anything they can that they know they won't want, they'll run this out maybe one more year, and it's all hands on deck for 2021-22.

It won't be five years to assemble what they want, but, that doesn't guarantee success.

There's more to chemistry in this game than others, it's not a baseball team.

And, what Pete said aligns with my view.

That's the point, though. Success is clearly the desired outcome, but the goal of the rebuild is to construct a competitive team. Simon insisted they are five years out from being competitive, which is why everyone balked at it. It's pretty clear they'll be competitive before then. Can they win? I have no idea. But they'll likely be constructed to in the next two to three years.

I think Gorton and JD also had to "fix" a lot of the mess that was left to them by Sather's drafts and signings. Just cleaning up the old shitty contracts and buyouts that are weighing them down is a task in itself. Once they get out from under all that bullshit, they can focus on doing the "right" thing for this team going forward.

Being a perennial playoff team, that has a "better than average chance" at winning a cup is really all you can ask. There's too many variables during the season that can derail a team that's a "dunk shot" to win.

I can see that in this franchise as soon as after next season, and I think that's being fairly optimistic. But I also expect them to be a force for the next 10-15 years moving forward from that. They're going to be good again....soon....I just don't expect it next season.

Who knows though!

Getting rid of Kreider and one or two others doesn't necessarily push them any further out of when they will be in contention. It is all heavily dependent on any moves made in succession to that.

For example, it seems pretty clear to me the team goes nowhere fast without the left side of the defense figured out, in particular 1LD. Getting a legitimate 1LD is significantly more valuable than Kreider would be to this team, because it pushes Skjei down to a more suitable 2LD role and moves Lindgren to a 3LD role. It also removes Staal entirely. In effect, it makes all 3 LD positions significantly better. We only have one LD prospect who projects as a possible top pairing and that's Miller. They aren't going to wait 5 years to see if he's going to be that. That means trade. Who's available? I don't know. I've seen Hampus Lindholm's name floated elsewhere. I'm on my phone but I'm sure there's other potentital targets.

I would be shocked if we keep all of the prospects we have accumulated the past few years, or even the picks/prospects we are about to acquire this deadline. We are going to pony up for a defenseman in a trade. We may be talking picks, probably one of DeAngelo/Miller/Lundkvist, etc. They have the chips to go get a 1LD.

Getting rid of Kreider and one or two others doesn't necessarily push them any further out of when they will be in contention. It is all heavily dependent on any moves made in succession to that.

For example, it seems pretty clear to me the team goes nowhere fast without the left side of the defense figured out, in particular 1LD. Getting a legitimate 1LD is significantly more valuable than Kreider would be to this team, because it pushes Skjei down to a more suitable 2LD role and moves Lindgren to a 3LD role. It also removes Staal entirely. In effect, it makes all 3 LD positions significantly better. We only have one LD prospect who projects as a possible top pairing and that's Miller. They aren't going to wait 5 years to see if he's going to be that. That means trade. Who's available? I don't know. I've seen Hampus Lindholm's name floated elsewhere. I'm on my phone but I'm sure there's other potentital targets.

I would be shocked if we keep all of the prospects we have accumulated the past few years, or even the picks/prospects we are about to acquire this deadline. We are going to pony up for a defenseman in a trade. We may be talking picks, probably one of DeAngelo/Miller/Lundkvist, etc. They have the chips to go get a 1LD.

That’s a good take

And I think the 5 year thing is being mislabeled or misinterpreted.

It’s 5 years from the start. Not 5 years from now.

And it’s 5 years to be a contender. Not a playoff team. Not every playoff team is a contender, even if they do have a shot.

This is season 3 right now. Hopefully playoffs in season 4. Still a lot of turnover happening though

That's the point, though. Success is clearly the desired outcome, but the goal of the rebuild is to construct a competitive team. Simon insisted they are five years out from being competitive, which is why everyone balked at it. It's pretty clear they'll be competitive before then. Can they win? I have no idea. But they'll likely be constructed to in the next two to three years.

I didnt say competitive, i said “contender”. Big difference. Hell, they’re competitive now.

I’ll say it again...IMO they’re at least 5 years away from being a CONTENDER