• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Disregard Wait-and-See Deadline Narrative; Rangers Will Likely Sell

Phil

I'd define that as "scrappy," not "competitive."

Competitive teams are ones at least sniffing the playoffs. "Pesky Sens," or the Kings team that sawed through the playoffs as the eighth seed, for example.

Pens are contenders. With Crosby malkin, letang they almost always are

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know for a fact I can?t tell 5 years into the future yeah. Im just saying, you?re using Brooks as proof of a point on a team with Panarin, Zibanejad, Fox, Kakko, Trouba, and Shesh. I have more belief in those players as a foundation to be a contender much earlier than 2025 than Brooks saying selling Kreider and Fast means we need to wait half a decade longer.

ADA and Strome aren?t even ufas next year.

I?m using brooks because he?s of the same opinion as i am about this team being a contender. If you cant tell 5 years in the future, why are you mocking my opinion on when they will be contenders? I could be right or wrong on where this team is in five years, you said it yourself that you cant tell...lol

Did I miss where they're abandoning the salary cap? Cause otherwise I'm confused.

Unfortunately I don't think they're that close. The learning curves for many of the young is much greater than I had hoped. Then there's Lias too who until he proves otherwise is a wiff. If you take away Panarin (which is a scary thought) outside of Zibs I don't see much fire power at all or anybody driving the O. Then there's the backend that as a whole outside of Trouba (who's contract I think is going to hurt on the back side) suck at actually playing D. I am probably overly confident in Shesty so that's a huge plus.

How much more fire power are we expecting? Where are you getting anything more along their talent level? You build the supporting cast around Zib and Panarin. Right now there are two guys who have really good chemistry with the teams top players. How are they replacing that? If you take them away, it's a pretty big step back, because outside of Kakko, there's nothing in the pipeline that is close to too 6 talent. MAYYYYBE they can roll with Chytil in place of Strome and get decent production, but we don't know that. Who is going to open up the ice for Zib, like Kreider does? Lemieux?

If they can package Georgiev with a Skjei or picks and get another top six forward, I think they can walk right in, and possibly do some damage. They obviously need to dump salary, to make everything work past this season. I think a whiff of the playoffs could entice, Kreider and Strome to sign team friendly contracts.

There's moves to be made. Just not with Staples of what is currently working.

I think there's a less than zero chance they hold onto Kreider past the TDL without an extension done. It just makes no sense whatsoever. Is that what you're suggesting as a viable scenario?

My point about Panarin was if he were to get hurt at some point there's nobody close to being able to carry this team. Even now it seems in games where he doesn't contribute they aren't nearly as competitive. If they really are sellers and they move Krieder and Strome to start they're going backwards in the here and now. Call it whatever you want retooling, rebuilding whatever. There's a handful of guys that have to step up or we're going to continue to be a an also ran for the foreseeable future.

I’m using brooks because he’s of the same opinion as i am about this team being a contender. If you cant tell 5 years in the future, why are you mocking my opinion on when they will be contenders? I could be right or wrong on where this team is in five years, you said it yourself that you cant tell...lol

Honestly, I think you are reading my messages in a tone not meant to. I'm just giving a response to you. You re-brouggt up your opinion asking a question in this thread about your own opinion. No one, including myself, re-brought up what you think.

Besides, as we already spoke about this, I felt you arbitrarily said 5 years without no actual tangible reason for your opinion. I used the Blackhawks model to show why I don't think it wouls take 5 years at all, especially on a team that actually has talent, one of it being in the top 10 of the entire league, and a case for another in Ziby being pretty damn close to also being there.

Im not sure why you re-hashed it today especially with Brooks as the backing. You don't see the difference between saying "the Rangers aren't there yet" and saying "they are 5 years away from even being considered for a championship....."

Exactly. So how aren't the Rangers with Zib, Panarin, Kreider, ADA, Trouba and good goaltending?

Because Crosby and Malkin is a lot better than Mika? Letang >>>> ADA, Trouba aswell.

There?s a reason they?re 17 points ahead of Rangers, even with Crosby and Malkin both been out with injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Because Crosby and Malkin is a lot better than Mika? Letang >>>> ADA, Trouba aswell.

There’s a reason they’re 17 points ahead of Rangers, even with Crosby and Malkin both been out with injuries.

Yeah, they have a hell of a lot better coach to be honest with NHL experience, cups now, and an actual system. That helps a whole lot too.

Honestly, I think you are reading my messages in a tone not meant to. I'm just giving a response to you. You re-brouggt up your opinion asking a question in this thread about your own opinion. No one, including myself, re-brought up what you think.

Besides, as we already spoke about this, I felt you arbitrarily said 5 years without no actual tangible reason for your opinion. I used the Blackhawks model to show why I don't think it wouls take 5 years at all, especially on a team that actually has talent, one of it being in the top 10 of the entire league, and a case for another in Ziby being pretty damn close to also being there.

Im not sure why you re-hashed it today especially with Brooks as the backing. You don't see the difference between saying "the Rangers aren't there yet" and saying "they are 5 years away from even being considered for a championship....."

I said what i said, u said what you said. Lets just leave it at that. I gave a reason why I think its going to take 5 years or more, you just ignored it.

There are oilers, canes, Phoenix, panthers, and bunch of others for every Blackhawks out there.

I said what i said, u said what you said. Lets just leave it at that. I gave a reason why I think its going to take 5 years or more, you just ignored it.

There are oilers, canes, Phoenix, panthers, and bunch of others for every Blackhawks out there.

Ok and that’s understandable. I just think in a league with this much parity and this much actual real talent on our team, I don’t see how an idea of that far in the future is the leap we should take to believe. :cheers:

Being a contender is When “the window is open”

It shouldn’t take 5 more years for the window to be open.

Not at all.

A lot of the young guys are here already. The rest are reasonably close.

There’s quality on the roster already.

The dead weight will be gone within 18 months

Lots of cap space comes back then too.

Clearly they aren’t a playoff team this year. They were never going to be. Most of us said 7-10 points better. That’s where they’re pacing to be.

Next year they should have a fair shot at a playoff spot though.

Let them take that step first before we talk about how long it’s going to be.

There’s a reason they’re 17 points ahead of Rangers, even with Crosby and Malkin both been out with injuries.

Not by much, and their supporting cast is pretty lame. You left out Panarin for some reason. IMO the Rangers have more than just 2 elite players to rely on. They have 2 and better supporting guys LIKE Trouba, ADA, Kreider, Fox. Better goaltending too. Zib isn't much behind what you get out of Malkin these days...

The Pens are not going to finish strong, unless they add another piece or two.. The Rangers could finish strong especially if they add a legit top 6 forward. If they can get a Kapanen and keep the guys that are potentially on the block, this team absolutely makes the playoffs and could do some damage.

IDK, u tell me why we’re 11 points out of a playoff spot.

A poor start. They are all now buying in and adapting to their roles. I don't think they have really been blown away by opponents for the first half. Do you? Have they been completely dominated in many games if any at all? You don't notice a difference in the last 20 or so games, compared to the first 20-30?

Idk, I feel like they are just gaining momentum and they look pretty good.

Not by much, and their supporting cast is pretty lame. You left out Panarin for some reason. IMO the Rangers have more than just 2 elite players to rely on. They have 2 and better supporting guys LIKE Trouba, ADA, Kreider, Fox. Better goaltending too. Zib isn't much behind what you get out of Malkin these days...

The Pens are not going to finish strong, unless they add another piece or two.. The Rangers could finish strong especially if they add a legit top 6 forward. If they can get a Kapanen and keep the guys that are potentially on the block, this team absolutely makes the playoffs and could do some damage.

What are you basing this on? They have the 4th toughest remaining schedule in the NHL and are 11 points out. They are not a good team, by most metrics (standard or otherwise). Scoring they are OK, but they're 26th in GA/GP, 29th SA/GP, 20th in PK%, 30th in faceoffs and I haven't even touched possession or shot share.

You have this opinion that's not rooted in reality. I mean, I guess that's cool and I applaud your "never say die" attitude, but call it what it is...hope. But to say "absolutely" does anything is just mythical.

• Like 1

A poor start. They are all now buying in and adapting to their roles. I don't think they have really been blown away by opponents for the first half. Do you? Have they been completely dominated in many games if any at all? You don't notice a difference in the last 20 or so games, compared to the first 20-30?

They are, but so is everyone else.

Let's look at what we've got left:

vs DET

at DET

vs DAL

vs TOR

vs BUF

vs LAK

at WPG

at MIN

at CBJ

vs BOS

at CHI

at CAR

vs SJS

Deadline

There are a few "yeah, we should win this one" in there (Both DET games, LAK, maybe SJS, maybe WPG), but beyond that?

Optimistically, we've got 15 of 26 points here, and while that puts us at 65 points, at best that puts us probably 10 points out. In the playoffs right now is 61 points, and Carolina isn't going to lose 13 straight games here, and neither is Philly, and neither is Toronto.

I think you need to watch more than Panarin. As a team, they’ve almost gotten worse. Well, Kreider picked it up the last few weeks. Goalies suck, defense is playing a system they bought into... which isn’t a good thing, Kakko, Buch, Zibanejad, Chytil playing worse than they did earlier in the season, still playing Smith, Haley, McGreg

This team is so bad, fans are hyped about the third string goalie posting horrible stats

That said, I’ll always root and push for the playoffs, but how we are viewing this current squads performance varies drastically. This is a 1 man team. Only.

we still have a year or two to be done with some contracts and fill in holes in the lineup. we will have a stronger roster with turnover in the next couple years. we will see what young players develop, and what acquisitions we can make. good teams can roll 4 cohesive lines, where players know their role within a team philosophy and system. we need time to get there

They brought in MacDreg and Haley (and smith!) for Hayes, Zuccarello and Vesey

Yeah, not banking on that roster turnover to solve problems

Those guys are here because guys like Andersson and Kravtsov weren't ready.

Hopefully Kravtsov will be next year.

I think you need to watch more than Panarin. As a team, they’ve almost gotten worse. Well, Kreider picked it up the last few weeks. Goalies suck, defense is playing a system they bought into... which isn’t a good thing, Kakko, Buch, Zibanejad, Chytil playing worse than they did earlier in the season, still playing Smith, Haley, McGreg

This team is so bad, fans are hyped about the third string goalie posting horrible stats

That said, I’ll always root and push for the playoffs, but how we are viewing this current squads performance varies drastically. This is a 1 man team. Only.

who u calling a third string goalie?