• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Disregard Wait-and-See Deadline Narrative; Rangers Will Likely Sell

Phil

They're 11 points out of the second wild card spot. They're not competiive. In my world "competitive" and "contention" are synonyms.

Yeah. They held on as long as they could but those two losses before the break killed them -- and even before that their chances were slim. They're currently a two player team, which is nice considering they were one player team last year. But lots of things happened this season (so far) that kind of throws off the trajectory.

Anderson is no longer with the team. They were hoping he'd be a major player.

Chytil is a 3rd line center, not 2nd.

Howden isn't even playing center anymore.

Strome is having a career year in what was supposed to be Chytil's role.

Buch hasn't taken that step forward.

DeAngelo is having a break out year

Lindgren is better than they expected.

Hajek is in the minors after making the team initially.

Hank is full-on deadweight as the 3rd best goalie in the organization.

I think it's safe to say, they need to reevaluate what's going on here. Lots of things have changed from expectation to reality.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. They held on as long as they could but those two losses before the break killed them -- and even before that their chances were slim. They're currently a two player team, which is nice considering they were one player team last year. But lots of things happened this season (so far) that kind of throws off the trajectory.

I think it's safe to say, they need to reevaluate what's going on here. Lots of things have changed from expectation to reality.

Right — some successes, lots of treading water, plenty of room to grow, but at the same time, that's a lot of hope you're still selling.

They've got another year, max, before that has to change to wins. After that, the clock starts ticking loudly on Gorton's head.

They're 11 points out of the second wild card spot. They're not competitive. In my world "competitive" and "contention" are synonyms.

...and 11 points in the other direction makes us #2 in the upcoming draft!!! :thumbs:

I can totally go for another lottery pick this year!

...and 11 points in the other direction makes us #2 in the upcoming draft!!! :thumbs:

That's as unlikely, if not more, than the idea they're going to make the playoffs. They're basically a 10th or 11th place team. Full on dreaded middle.

That's as unlikely, if not more, than the idea they're going to make the playoffs. They're basically a 10th or 11th place team. Full on dreaded middle.

True Phil ...they're on pace for about 85 points which should land them in the 9, 10, or 11 spot.

I'm thinking it can go either of 2 ways though;

If they unload Kreider, ADA, Strome, & Fast they could go into a massive tailspin....OR

With their replacements or call ups, they might even make a run!! (I can totally see this!!!)

Just 2 things, mostly agree with everything else.

Hajek is in minors for conditioning and Hanks not dead weight or the third best goalie.

He's basically the same a Georgie.

So why people were giving me slack when i said the rangers are at least 5 years away from being a contender?

Because they aren’t 5 years away maybe? Or now if it fits a certain narrative, a horrible op piece by Brooks becomes the foundation for something tangible?

Just 2 things, mostly agree with everything else.

Hajek is in minors for conditioning and Hanks not dead weight or the third best goalie.

He's basically the same a Georgie.

I think the biggest overlooked point not mentioned here yet is Kakko being invisible. Not sure anybody if we're being honest bet that line going in.

31's post was real good imo and a little alarming because there's a good number of guys not meeting expectations and there's no guarantee they ever will. Being successful in the next 2-3-4 years is dependent on a high number of guys stepping up and imo it's not a slam dunk it happens.

I hope they are working on deals with Strome and ADA. Time for a passing of the guard. CK20 should go and allow this team to grow its new identity. The haul we will get for him will set this team up going forward. I feel this year was a step forward; Chytil has the tools and will break out in the next couple years. I feel when he turns it on, he shows flashes of brilliance.

True Phil ...they're on pace for about 85 points which should land them in the 9, 10, or 11 spot.

I'm thinking it can go either of 2 ways though;

If they unload Kreider, ADA, Strome, & Fast they could go into a massive tailspin....OR

With their replacements or call ups, they might even make a run!! (I can totally see this!!!)

They may actually finish pretty low.

Not Red Wings low. But low

7th to last right now.

Selling at the deadline and the fact that they play a huge number of games rest of the way (34 remaining games in something like 65 days) with a young roster in a long season...,

This could get bad

They're 11 points out of the second wild card spot. They're not competiive. In my world "competitive" and "contention" are synonyms.

I think they're competitive because they can beat any opponent on any given night. they're not a contender for a championship obviously tho

I hope they are working on deals with Strome and ADA. Time for a passing of the guard. CK20 should go and allow this team to grow its new identity. The haul we will get for him will set this team up going forward. I feel this year was a step forward; Chytil has the tools and will break out in the next couple years. I feel when he turns it on, he shows flashes of brilliance.

Chytil's our #2 Center going forward, JSM. That's pretty much a lot of the debate about Strome. Good player having a very good season, but unfortunately the business end of this thing makes it so that we can't keep him if he's too rich for our blood. A 3C doesn't or shouldn't be breaking the bank on this team at $6 million+ for more than 4 years.

Same with ADA...He's a scoring defenseman, and a very good one this season...but come playoff time, he's small, not a very good defenseman, and a luxury the Rangers really don't need in my opinion. Fox will be our guy to add to Lindgren and Trouba. The rest are on the way up. I see Skjei in Seattle in the expansion draft.

7th to last right now.

Selling at the deadline and the fact that they play a huge number of games rest of the way (34 remaining games in something like 65 days) with a young roster in a long season...,

This could get bad

I hope so. i'd like to see another high pick. maybe we get lucky again and pick 1st this time

7th to last right now.

This could get bad

You know what's ironic, 7?? They may actually be better with Kreider and ADA out of the way. It's no secret that ADA is not a good defenseman by any stretch. Kreider has never reached his potential here in my opinion, and I think Quinn wants to play a grittier, tougher, more responsible game. D'Angelo is tough, but he doesn't "play tough". Kreider is fast, but "plays slow". (Yeah Pete, I took that from you because it's dead on balls accurate!) ;)

I think they're competitive because they can beat any opponent on any given night. they're not a contender for a championship obviously tho

I'd define that as "scrappy," not "competitive."

Competitive teams are ones at least sniffing the playoffs. "Pesky Sens," or the Kings team that sawed through the playoffs as the eighth seed, for example.

I'd define that as "scrappy," not "competitive."

Competitive teams are ones at least sniffing the playoffs. "Pesky Sens," or the Kings team that sawed through the playoffs as the eighth seed, for example.

2 Shorties in :35 last night against the Devils, and then dump it in a shootout after allowing a last minute tying goal. Must be tough being a Sens fan, but at least both teams got points in that one! ;)

you know this for a fact?

I know for a fact I can?t tell 5 years into the future yeah. Im just saying, you?re using Brooks as proof of a point on a team with Panarin, Zibanejad, Fox, Kakko, Trouba, and Shesh. I have more belief in those players as a foundation to be a contender much earlier than 2025 than Brooks saying selling Kreider and Fast means we need to wait half a decade longer.

ADA and Strome aren?t even ufas next year.

In an era of parity, rebuilds need not take seven years (the last two and five more). Look at the regulation records and goal differentials. The difference between teams solidly in the playoffs and those outside the bubble is nearly nil and can be bridged quickly, so long as you don't get on a perpetual treadmill by extending phase 1 of the rebuild into a third year.

This team is making the playoffs. I disagree with where people feel this team is at. WITH Kreider, they are another forward away from walking into the playoffs.

Sell Georgiev, Fast and try to dump Smith and or Staal. Backfill the D from within.

This team is competitive now. Fuck Brooks, he's never right. I don't think with bringing in Panarin and Trouba, that they can afford to sit back anymore and take on more draft picks for building up the future even more.

They won't be trading 1st anymore, that's about as far as committed to continually building for the future. I really think they don't want to deal Kreider. I think he's such a big part of the locker room and part of why Zib has turned that corner. It's not a good look to call it a season, when the team is just starting to get rolling. How does that affect Panarin and Trouba moving forward?

I expect Kreider to stay. Signed or not. Strome too. ADA as well. These guys are a part of what is working.

Playoff push. Coming up.

This team is making the playoffs. I disagree with where people feel this team is at. WITH Kreider, they are another forward away from walking into the playoffs.

Sell Georgiev, Fast and try to dump Smith and or Staal. Backfill the D from within.

This team is competitive now. Fuck Brooks, he's never right. I don't think with bringing in Panarin and Trouba, that they can afford to sit back anymore and take on more draft picks for building up the future even more.

They won't be trading 1st anymore, that's about as far as committed to continually building for the future. I really think they don't want to deal Kreider. I think he's such a big part of the locker room and part of why Zib has turned that corner. It's not a good look to call it a season, when the team is just starting to get rolling. How does that affect Panarin and Trouba moving forward?

I expect Kreider to stay. Signed or not. Strome too. ADA as well. These guys are a part of what is working.

Playoff push. Coming up.

And what evidence makes you think these thoughts?

Because there's not a lot there backing this extremely hot take.

Playoff push. Coming up.

Found LLLTF's real account. Check the IPs Phil.

In all seriousness, noone can question wearing your Rangers fandom on your sleeve. I wish I had a fraction of your optimism lol

Did I miss where they're abandoning the salary cap? Cause otherwise I'm confused.

Unfortunately I don't think they're that close. The learning curves for many of the young is much greater than I had hoped. Then there's Lias too who until he proves otherwise is a wiff. If you take away Panarin (which is a scary thought) outside of Zibs I don't see much fire power at all or anybody driving the O. Then there's the backend that as a whole outside of Trouba (who's contract I think is going to hurt on the back side) suck at actually playing D. I am probably overly confident in Shesty so that's a huge plus.