• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Expect Rangers to Inquire About Jordan Greenway

Phil

Look at the Isles losing JT. I'm sure they thought they needed to replace his production but would ya know....they made due. Pretty well too. Addition by subtraction.

C'mon. You can't really suggest the islanders got better because JT left. They got better because they got an NHL coach behind the bench instead the local pizza shop owner.

Suggesting all Kreider brings to the team is stats is not understanding how the game works.

C'mon. You can't really suggest the islanders got better because JT left. They got better because they got an NHL coach behind the bench instead the local pizza shop owner.

Suggesting all Kreider brings to the team is stats is not understanding how the game works.

Yeah - this 100% 31. Again not saying they should give CK a mega deal even though I like him. But mentioning him and Greenway when comparing what they bring I think is wishful thinking. There are a few comments in here about Greenway replacing Kreider and no matter what red and blue lenses I try I don't see it. The fact he "thrived" playing for Quinn in college doesn't mean that carries over to the NHL. But whatever at the end of the day if they get this guy he should be a cheap bottom of the lineup guy that will hopefully cost very little to get.

100% correct. In fact a pretty strong argument can be made to say that the Rangers actually have a better roster than the Isles but they have a far superior coach.

Greenway would be a good addition to the bottom 6.

I'm not sure I see an obvious trade here though. The Wild may or may not be looking to add depending on how the next few weeks pan out.

I don't know how badly they want to get rid of this guy. If they're going for it this year, could you maybe get a deal done with Fast + a mid round pick?

https://theathletic.com/516285/2018/09/10/custance-what-observers-think-of-wild-prospect-jordan-greenway?source=shared-article

Size, skill, smarts. Good speed. Not Kreider speed but since Kreider only uses it half the time, not a real loss.

If you can get a 22 year old LW who's pacing around 35 points with no PP, not sure why you wouldn't grab him.

I also don't see why people think you need to replace every facet of Kreider's game. Just replace the production. Greenway + Chytil / Kakko / Krav all getting better this team isn't missing Kreider IMO.

Plus whatever we get for Kreider.

I like Greenway. I think a 22 year old at a position of relative need, familiar with Quinn, stuck in a defense-first system in Minnesota, buried on the 4th? Primed for a potential breakout.

I really don’t see MIN as buyers at the deadline. They’re in a similar spot as the Rangers - out of a spot right now' date=' but can indeed challenge for one. Why would they get rid of Greenway?[/quote']

That's my bigger question, to be honest.

My best explanation is that they're already heavily cap committed through 20-21 (71.5M), and with only Koivu really coming off the books. Greenway is oddly enough, arbitration eligible at 22, which might hamper some things as well.

Figure 12M for Kunin, Greenway, Soucy, and to improve the team. Can't seem to figure out trading Zucker. Stuck with a big handful of bad contracts (Parise, Suter, Rask, maybe even lump in Zuccarello and Zucker in here, though those aren't bad so much as they are long).

My second best explanation is the classic "new GM, new vision" thing.

My third, and maybe a reasonable one...they're overstocked on LW, and they're getting another dynamo there in Kaprizov next year. Parise, Zucker, Fiala, Foligno, Donato, Greenway, Kaprizov - that's a lot of LW capital, but more importantly, a lot of guys that qualify as "you should play them in either the top 6 or the bottom six". They've only really got Donato that can flex around...maybe Foligno? Trade from strength to address what they don't have. That opens up another strange variable for a Rangers-Wild deal: the Wild are pretty set on D, and pretty set on the wings. They need centers, and goalkeepers (this has not been their year).

If we're talking a Greenway + pick or something for Georgiev + lower pick...that makes sense. If they're gunning for a center, we're not the team to do business with unless Strome is asking for the moon

Greenway is solid physically with good hands but not quick. He's a solid add for teams looking to add a piece for a playoff run, a complementary player. He would bring a physical presence the Rangers largely lack, but I'm not sure I see a fit here.

Greenway is solid physically with good hands but not quick. He's a solid add for teams looking to add a piece for a playoff run, a complementary player. He would bring a physical presence the Rangers largely lack, but I'm not sure I see a fit here.

He'd be a fine addition. I don't really know much about him other than he's huge and young.

I just don't know how they trade for him NOW. Kreider isn't going to Minnesota and neither is Georgiev.