• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Leafs Trade Prososal

NY Rangers get: Andreas Johnnson & Jeremy Bracco

Toronto Maple Leafs get: Brady Skeij($1 million salary retained), Alexander Georgiev, & 3rd round pick

This immediately boosts the Rangers depth up front in the top 9 while allowing them to deal from a position of strength(defense & goaltending). It also opens up a spot for the abundant incoming depth they have on the left side(Rykov, Hajek, Miller, Lunqvist, Roberston and maybe a switch to the left side for DeAngelo) while freeing up necessary money for DeAngelo, Fox, & Lingdren that was over-allocated to Trouba. On the other hand, Toronto starts to shore up their defense with nobody really signed past the end of the season besides Morgan Reilly, to also allow breathing room for some of their prospects to develop. Oh, and by the way they get a young developing goaltender who has the potential to grow into a starter if they feel Federick Andersen is not the long term answer.

Prove me wrong that this trade is not a good deal for both sides!

Most, except a select few, realize Skjei hasn't lived up to his contract, but this is close to giving him away and he's worth more than that. Especially with some of his salary retained to make his salary more commensurate with what he brings to the table.

You could make an argument that Georgiev for Johnsson is a fair swap 1 for 1. Skjei/3rd for Bracco is highway robbery for Toronto.

Leafs dont need LHD. Plus they are in cap trouble. Including Skjei is not helping Toronto.

They literally do need LHD; there is not a single legitimate NHL LHD signed past the end of the season. It does not help their cap situation, but the salary retention makes the trade a wash salary wise while shoring up their #2 LHD for the next 4 seasons.

When I was typing this I embarrassingly confused Johnsson with Kasper Kapanen.

My edited version of the trade is below:

NY Rangers get: Kasperi Kapanen & Jeremy Bracco

Toronto Maple Leafs get: Brady Skeij($1 million salary retained), Alexander Georgiev, & 3rd round pick

This immediately boosts the Rangers depth up front in the top 9 while allowing them to deal from a position of strength(defense & goaltending). It also opens up a spot for the abundant incoming depth they have on the left side(Rykov, Hajek, Miller, Lunqvist, Roberston and maybe a switch to the left side for DeAngelo) while freeing up necessary money for DeAngelo, Fox, & Lingdren that was over-allocated to Trouba. On the other hand, Toronto starts to shore up their defense with nobody really signed past the end of the season besides Morgan Reilly, to also allow breathing room for some of their prospects to develop. Oh, and by the way they get a young developing goaltender who has the potential to grow into a starter if they feel Federick Andersen is not the long term answer.

Poop all over the trade proposal now.

They literally do need LHD; there is not a single legitimate NHL LHD signed past the end of the season. It does not help their cap situation, but the salary retention makes the trade a wash salary wise while shoring up their #2 LHD for the next 4 seasons.

Yeah. Agreed. They have Sandin and trash on the left. Skjei is a fit there, but they would be committing to Skjei instead of re-signing Muzzin or Barrie for next season. Not sure they view Skjei as a better option, but maybe they do.

Edit: Forgot about Rielly. I think they go Rielly/Sandin/? and try to keep Barrie, rather than taking on Skjei.

I'm not giving up on Skjei just yet. I know, I know...I make fun of him, and tell him to hit guys with his purse when we went there....but I think the kid has what it takes. I believe he's gonna be a late bloomer and he'll be a good player for us.

Is he over paid, yeah....but I think he's going to turn into a solid player very soon. He's still learning. And by that I can see he's making progress;

His anticipation of plays has been better this year. Still not tremendous, but better. He does have the talent and he's gaining the experince. Plus he's got his buddy next to him to learn from. I like Trouba's defensive style. He takes a lot of chances, but defensively he's pretty good.

Skjei needs that time to get it...we paid for it, so fuck it...let's see him do it! If I were a competing GM, I wouldn't trade for Skjei's contract.

When I was typing this I embarrassingly confused Johnsson with Kasper Kapanen.

My edited version of the trade is below:

NY Rangers get: Kasperi Kapanen & Jeremy Bracco

Poop all over the trade proposal now.

Think I said this a week ago. Maybe sweeten the pot to get Dermott in the deal. That or let them keep Bracco and Dermott and send us Nylander... Relieve some cap space for them and they get pieces the need. Crap throw in Fast... Get one of their wingers. NOW.

Getting anyone to believe Skjei is a 2nd pair D man is the issue. He's being paid as one. Just not living up to the contract. He HAS been better lately.