• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome on the Trade Deadline: "I really hope I stay,"

Phil

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, I don't want to, but that's probably where they end up.

I agree with you, if they do not use their leverage now. Just don't think you can build a competitive team paying everyone a market(or near market) contract when they are due. Really think that you need 1-2 of these savvy, below market contracts to load up on the proper amount of talent to put you over the top.

I'll answer when you learn what the salary cap is.

Come on Pete! Give the guy a clue (since he hasn't one to begin with)!

Here I'll help him:

Pronounced: (SAL-ah-REE - CAP) Hey Pappy, It's NOT the hat you buy with your welfare check.... :rofl:

Am I crazy to think 5x5 isn't bad for a 2nd line center?

I'd love for him to stay.

I see him as a 1/2 C with Panarin. He's a 3C otherwise. I wouldn't invest that kind of term and cash in a 3C. I'm willing to bet that Filip Chytil is the better C option for the top 6 within the next year, maybe 2. That's why I'd be good with Strome on a short term deal (3 years or less), but not a long term deal.

The argument in favor of Strome seems to have been: well don't move him away from Panarin. Well, we aren't guaranteed for that combination to work for 5 years just because it's worked for half a season.

Watching Strome before this season, I wouldnt want 5x5.

Such a Rangers thing to do - hand out a heft contract for a nice stretch of games.

This is where I'm at as well. He reaches market at 31...later...and the whole time he's here, he has Panarin (idk if he plays with him for all 5 years, but if he keeps putting up these numbers, no reason to move him).

Watching Strome before this season, I wouldnt want 5x5.

Such a Rangers thing to do - hand out a heft contract for a nice stretch of games.

I wouldn't just call it a Ranger thing to do... if he was on another team and was hitting the open market this year, we'd be clamoring to sign him and there would be a lot of competition for him.

That being said, I don't think he gets that high. 4 x 4.25 or thereabouts.

I wouldn't just call it a Ranger thing to do... if he was on another team and was hitting the open market this year, we'd be clamoring to sign him and there would be a lot of competition for him.

That being said, I don't think he gets that high. 4 x 4.25 or thereabouts.

I?m fearing a 6x6, honestly.

And if other teams want to pay that, that?s fine. I don?t think that?s a good deal for the Rangers to offer Strome.

You can get Tyler Johnson for very little over the summer, at 5m

Hoping he is not our 2nd line center in the near future.

This is the argument that I just don't understand. Find a 2nd line center in the NHL scoring more than him right now. Other than Draisaitl, who has been paired up with McDavid for long stretches, I can't find too many looking casually at it. Why can't Strome be that guy?

This is the argument that I just don't understand. Find a 2nd line center in the NHL scoring more than him right now. Other than Draisaitl, who has been paired up with McDavid for long stretches, I can't find too many looking casually at it. Why can't Strome be that guy?

Costs.

If we’re taking about $6m+ a season, vs Chytil getting that time and adding a different prospect/pick in the fold.

Because the oh-so-patient fan base needs to see the 21 year old "home grown" there.

I actually think the even more Ranger thing to do would be assume anyone will produce with Panarin, move Strome, and then throw Chytil into the fire playing 18:00 against other team's top D...just because he was successful in curated situations for 15:00 a night.

I won't even get into the PK, the faceoffs, etc.

Costs.

If we’re taking about $6m+ a season, vs Chytil getting that time and adding a different prospect/pick in the fold.

How do we even know that Chytl will be able to handle that role? I get it. I don't love the idea of long years for Strome either but since he's been a Ranger, he's performed pretty consistently. Chytil is still kind of an unknown at this point. He's got 17 points this year in 39 games with pretty solid ice-time. I like what he looks like but he certainly needs to take more steps to get to be what Strome is now. How many years will that take?

The $6m+ number you're throwing out now sounds excessively high.

How do we even know that Chytl will be able to handle that role? I get it. I don't love the idea of long years for Strome either but since he's been a Ranger, he's performed pretty consistently. Chytil is still kind of an unknown at this point. He's got 17 points this year in 39 games with pretty solid ice-time. I like what he looks like but he certainly needs to take more steps to get to be what Strome is now. How many years will that take?

The $6m+ number you're throwing out now sounds excessively high.

6m for a 1C pacing 70pts?

Look at all of the things Pete mentioned. 6m would be a bargain! Like others said, it’s his last chance for a big cash contract.