• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome on the Trade Deadline: "I really hope I stay,"

Phil

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blueshirts station has this article by Steve Paulus:

Elliotte Friedman reports on TSN that the Florida Panthers are willing to listen to offers for center Vincent Trochek and they are looking for defensive help.

That immediately set off a fever of speculation on social media that a Trochek for Brady Skjei deal would help both teams. On the surface, it makes sense. Trocheck is only 26 and is two season removed from a 31 goal, 75 points season. He is also a good face off man, with a lifetime winning percentage of 51.3%, an area the Blueshirts are sorely lacking.

Trochek is signed for two years after this one at an annual cap hit of $4.75 million. The Rangers couldn’t take on that kind of salary unless it was an even cap hit swap and that’s where Brady Skjei and his $5.25 million annual hit comes in. The only consideration is that if Gorton was to offload Skjei, it would probably be in a cap clearing trade and this one definitely is not.

The common thinking is that a Trochek arrival would mean that the Rangers could give up on trying to re-sign Ryan Strome. Without Strome, the odds of their inking Tony DeAngelo to a new deal becomes much more possihle.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This was brought up in another thread. In the future please include a link to a source.

Skjei for Trocheck only makes sense to me if someone is offering a great deal for Strome. Strome to Trocheck is nearly a lateral move, so this would be losing Skjei for really whatever Strome would bring back.

Trocheck is bigger, more physical, better defensively, better offensively than Strome every season except this one...

Fuck my phone sucks and keeps erasing my posts.

Trocheck was overrated when people said he was a top C. But still good.

Injuries have crushed him. But there’s still something there

I don’t like Skjei but hesitant on that trade.

And I think I’ve come around to keeping Strome, although I think he’d get a bigger return than Kreider via trade

Pete incoming in 3,2,1....
Not even. I've decided to stop repeating myself just because others choose to either repeat themselves or an already discussed take.

It's the same 5 topics happening all over the board with no net new opinions or information.

Kind of a boring season if you think about it.

Deal him now. He has the points he does because of Panarin. Even with playing with Panarin, he's been a little too invisible more often than not for my liking. I think he's a bit too floaty sometimes. His value is not going to get any better.

While I understand this point, I can't agree with it. But again, paying Strome and paying for his stats aren't the same thing.

I have no issue paying Strome, but I don't want to pay for a "blip".

First, I always demand players get put in a spot to be successful. Boom.

Second, 2 seasons ago i ripped Zibanejad for being a 1C that had 11 even strength assists during the season. That's horrible. Strome has already doubled that. He sits 38th among forwards with ES points, right there with guys like Malkin, Petersson, JT Miller, Tavares, Barkov...

Coyle just got 5.25 x 6 for a few seasons of mid-30s points.

Schenn got 5.15 x 4 after 1 solid season.

This is what you pay for these middle 6 guys.

Again, cant make this a dangerous contract, but paying for a replacement will certainly bring that.

• Like 1

I still feel arbitration and taking stock around this time next year is the way to go.

Can't really see a single reason why the Rangers should be in a hurry to get a deal done now or in the summer.

The only thing that would change it for me is if someone came in with a mindblowing offer for him.

• Like 1

i'd take him back on a short term, team friendly deal. with more depth up front i'd pay him like a 3c.

He's arbitration eligible, so another year at arbitration rates may be just what the doctor ordered for Strome. He's making 3.1 million right now. I'm figuring him anywhere between 3.5 and 4 million for next season.

DeAngelo fits into this scenario as well, especially if we don't get a king's ransom for him at this year's deadline, or on draft day.

I still feel arbitration and taking stock around this time next year is the way to go.

Can't really see a single reason why the Rangers should be in a hurry to get a deal done now or in the summer.

The only thing that would change it for me is if someone came in with a mindblowing offer for him.

You changed my mind about this, Gravy! I listened to your opinion and I agree 100%.

This team is most likely even going to be a seller next season as well. We're still going to be carrying the last of our dead fish: Staal, Smith and Hank....not to mention Shatty's big buyout year tag.

We hold DeAngelo, Strome, and maybe one or 2 more, and see what we can do at next year's deadline...if need be. We give our kids another year of experience, and bring up some more troopers like Kravtsov and company, toss in a couple of the new defenseman, get them all in the mix, and look ahead to that extra $23 million in cap space after season's end.

After that....Then it's time to get this machine in gear.

Just like in fights, never leave the decision in the hands of the judges.

Arbitration awards for players that produce have been pretty high. Although it is a last resort, its better used for guys like Lemieux who dont do a whole lot on the scoresheet as opposed to Strome/DeAngelo's career seasons. And then, you will have less chance to get them to sign below that value. So if they get $5m x1, next contract is 6m+ x 5, 6, 7... You might be able to get one to sign a 5m x 5/6y now. Maybe not save as much this season, but get it back the following. (This is a huge reason why I wanted DeAngelo and Lemieux signed to 2 year deals - so they get paid for 2 successful seasons, instead of 1)

Just like in fights, never leave the decision in the hands of the judges.

Arbitration awards for players that produce have been pretty high. Although it is a last resort, its better used for guys like Lemieux who dont do a whole lot on the scoresheet as opposed to Strome/DeAngelo's career seasons. And then, you will have less chance to get them to sign below that value. So if they get $5m x1, next contract is 6m+ x 5, 6, 7... You might be able to get one to sign a 5m x 5/6y now. Maybe not save as much this season, but get it back the following. (This is a huge reason why I wanted DeAngelo and Lemieux signed to 2 year deals - so they get paid for 2 successful seasons, instead of 1)

I don’t want to sign Strome for 5 years right now. Too many moving parts to make that commitment. I think they need him next season, but I’m not sure beyond that. I want the freedom to treat him as a stop gap if that’s what he is. I’m also not convinced he keeps this up, so even if his arbitration is generous it doesn’t necessarily mean his long term deal is an increase.

Wouldn't it be great (and fitting) if one team says, "Hold everything!" and decides to pay for performance. Of course the player's union will scream bloody murder, but let this play out. Pay players 'very generously' based upon performance metrics; scoring and assists for forwards, assists, hits and # of plays broken up for defense and the goalie parameters like saves, wins, shutouts, etc. I bet a smarter person could program a compensation tool where the overall team spend would be the same because monies would be re-allocated within the room based on the new formulas. In other words, the money over-spent on a conventional Strome contract (for example) would be shifted around the club as different guys performed...and he didn't (assuming his production declines.)

There are plenty of things to work through but it would really make things different in sports where we almost universally gripe about guys getting paid based upon the past v. what they do now.

Wouldn't it be great (and fitting) if one team says, "Hold everything!" and decides to pay for performance. Of course the player's union will scream bloody murder, but let this play out. Pay players 'very generously' based upon performance metrics; scoring and assists for forwards, assists, hits and # of plays broken up for defense and the goalie parameters like saves, wins, shutouts, etc. I bet a smarter person could program a compensation tool where the overall team spend would be the same because monies would be re-allocated within the room based on the new formulas. In other words, the money over-spent on a conventional Strome contract (for example) would be shifted around the club as different guys performed...and he didn't (assuming his production declines.)

There are plenty of things to work through but it would really make things different in sports where we almost universally gripe about guys getting paid based upon the past v. what they do now.

Hell No. It would look like the NBA all-star game.