• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome on the Trade Deadline: "I really hope I stay,"

Phil

right so I guess the idea is develop means throwing those players out there to fail more and more at those things, right?

No, but it's also not to employ the stop gap solution permanently. What does that mean for Ryan Strome. I honestly have no idea what direction that's going to go.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the most important thing is fitting guys into our cap but that aside Strome is 26 yrs old not 36yrs old. We still need to give Chytil another 2 yrs to develop and with a what 38% face-off win percentage, he needs to develop that part of his game or be moved to the wing. So we can?t really pencil Chytil in as a center let alone our 2 line center because who?s to say if he stays there.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The only two options aren't signing Strome to a dumb deal and forcing Chytil in to that role.
So why are folks acting like it is?

Everyone who wants to keep Strome has said something between $4.5 and $5.5 and I don't think anyone has said more than 4 years.

The replies have been "$6 million?! Danger zone!!!!!!" And "Need to see Chytil there ASAP so we can move Strome".

This is why you can't rebuild in NY. People think it's done in a season and a half.

He’s going to get north of that if he goes to arbitration

Are you suggesting they walk from him on a large 1 year arb award as well?

Cap world, can only pay top line players if you want a competitive team. If he’s your 1C, pay him. If not, don’t.

We already have someone who can play with Panarin so not really worried about that at all.

I think I could do that lol.

1-2 of Zib-Kakko and Panarin-Chytil will be crazy in 2-3 years, dont think it would be smart to give Strome a big contract because at some point the next years he will be the 3rd line center and would probably be way overpaid for that role.

Zib and Chytil will both get big contracts in 2-3 years, cant already have 5-6m in Strome at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Cap world, can only pay top line players if you want a competitive team. If he’s your 1C, pay him. If not, don’t.

Almost.

You can’t play non-Core players

But.... If he’s your 2C, you’re saying he’s part of your core. There’s an argument there.

Your core is 7-8 guys

A rough idea of composition is:

Top 2 C’s

Two wingers

3 D

Top G

He’s in that group right now.

Maybe moving forward...

Who knows.

Just food for thought

I think I could do that lol.

1-2 of Zib-Kakko and Panarin-Chytil will be crazy in 2-3 years, dont think it would be smart to give Strome a big contract because at some point the next years he will be the 3rd line center and would probably be way overpaid for that role.

Zib and Chytil will both get big contracts in 2-3 years, cant already have 5-6m in Strome at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Said this many times... If it was so easy, Fast would be point-per-game too. No one has suggested a "big" contract for Strome. $5.5 AAV still makes him affordable as a 45 point player which is what he was here before Panarin.

Also not sure why you think Chytil is getting a big contract so soon, but in 3 years he can have it if you sign Strome for 4 (which is what's been suggested). Also not sure why you're assuming Strome will be the third line center.

He'll stay where he is as long as he's producing.

I think the majority agree on re-signing Strome on a 3-4 year deal, but there's a very real scenario that exists where he doesn't want that and wants a longer 5+ year term instead. There's a lot of potential money at stake for him. Being a UFA at 28 in Summer 2021, after another year of accumulating points playing alongside Panarin, is an attractive scenario and probably how he would most maximize his earnings. That's some significant leverage to hold at the table when talking a longer term extension. The Rangers would be wise to discuss an extension with him prior to the deadline. If no agreement, they should be seriously entertaining offers. This is their best leverage to keep the term reasonable.

Excellent work by Shayna Goldman over at the Athletic: https://theathletic.com/1556398/2020/01/23/weighing-ryan-stromes-value-to-the-rangers-both-on-the-ice-and-as-a-trade-asset/

At 27 going into next season, he's reaching his late 20s:

Strome will be 27 by the time his next contract starts. According to aging curves, including the work of EvolvingWild, Cam Lawrence, and Eric Tulsky, players trend down in their late 20s. Lawrence and EvolvingWild both found that players are generally in their prime in their early-to-mid twenties, before beginning to drop in their late 20s and more steeply into their 30s. Tulsky found players retain approximately 90 percent of their scoring through 29, but take a sharp decline from there.

The length and cost of his next contract have to be considered with that in mind. That?s particularly important for a rebuilding team, as they may not be bonafide contenders early in his next contract. They?ll have to project whether this is Strome?s peak or if there?s more to come. Some do peak later than the average player, like Derick Brassard and Josh Bailey.

Regarding what Strome contract would mean for Chytil:

If he?s [strome] on the lower to middle end of these deals, especially if there isn?t a very lengthy term attached, there could be a future for him in New York. While he?s a second-line center now, the rebuilding Rangers need to find out if Filip Chytil is their second-line or potentially top-line center of the future. If he is, that slots Strome on the wing or down the middle of the third line because they can?t be putting up roadblocks for a young, skilled player who should be a key part of their future. While shifting Strome to the third line could be a fit, it wouldn?t be cost-effective for the team to sign him for almost $6 million a season on average to be their third-line center. Clauses could also be a dealbreaker, as the Rangers may have learned not to include no trade and movement language after being burned in years past.

• 3 weeks later...
Strome take a 1 year deal to keep CK and this core together to build around? We all know our cap situation opens up after next year so maybe it's a possibility.

I think they should trade him while his value has peaked, but I suspect the Rangers will re-sign for either 3 or 4 years. I would be ok with 3 years as long as they pay him commensurately as having one good season as Panarin's sidekick rather than an annual 65-70 point line driver. That puts him at 4-5 million rather than 6-8.

Blueshirts station has this article by Steve Paulus:

Elliotte Friedman reports on TSN that the Florida Panthers are willing to listen to offers for center Vincent Trochek and they are looking for defensive help.

That immediately set off a fever of speculation on social media that a Trochek for Brady Skjei deal would help both teams. On the surface, it makes sense. Trocheck is only 26 and is two season removed from a 31 goal, 75 points season. He is also a good face off man, with a lifetime winning percentage of 51.3%, an area the Blueshirts are sorely lacking.

Trochek is signed for two years after this one at an annual cap hit of $4.75 million. The Rangers couldn?t take on that kind of salary unless it was an even cap hit swap and that?s where Brady Skjei and his $5.25 million annual hit comes in. The only consideration is that if Gorton was to offload Skjei, it would probably be in a cap clearing trade and this one definitely is not.

The common thinking is that a Trochek arrival would mean that the Rangers could give up on trying to re-sign Ryan Strome. Without Strome, the odds of their inking Tony DeAngelo to a new deal becomes much more possihle.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk