• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome on the Trade Deadline: "I really hope I stay,"

Phil

"I?ve been traded twice now. The third time wouldn?t be anything that I?m not used to. I love it here, though. I really hope I stay," Strome said. "I feel like I?ve lived in New York for so long, it?s my second home. The coaching staff and the management here, I think I?ve found a little bit of a home. Whatever happens, happens. It?s a business, but I think you just take everything in stride as an athlete."

"The second one was definitely harder. When I got traded from the Islanders, it was in the summer, which is a little bit easier," Strome explained. "I was excited for a new start, but when I got traded from Edmonton, I was really disappointed. I felt like I was a big part of their locker room there and unfortunately just didn?t have a great start to the season.

"But for the first 24 hours, it felt like my heart kinda got ripped out of my chest until I got here, and I saw the opportunity I was gonna get, and back in New York where I was familiar with, and a franchise that treats players unbelievably, so those feelings went away pretty quick, but the initial shock was tough especially for now my wife, she just got a job promotion in Edmonton, she had her own network of friends and I kinda felt bad for her, too."

He said Thursday he's hoping to sign an extension in the Big Apple.

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-rangers-f-ryan-strome-on-trade-deadline-i-really-hope-i-stay-1.1432240

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newsflash! Guy who has been traded twice, and is playing the best hockey of his career with with one of the premier players in the league, wants to continue doing so ~16 before he hits free agency. Kidding aside, this is the perfect opportunity for Gorton to put that 3m X 4 year contract on the table that Josh suggested, and tell him to put his money where his mouth is.

Newsflash! Guy who has been traded twice, and is playing the best hockey of his career with with one of the premier players in the league, wants to continue doing so ~16 before he hits free agency. Kidding aside, this is the perfect opportunity for Gorton to put that 3m X 4 year contract on the table that Josh suggested, and tell him to put his money where his mouth is.

3 million a year would actually be a pay cut

Good point. Meant that more as 3 million is where the negotiation starts, with what I think the consensus here is that 4-4.5 million is "fair" home team discount to end up on. He is almost point per game heading into the All Star break.

The negotiations start at north of 4 million.

A fair number lands somewhere between 4.5-5.5

Below 5 would be a discount if it’s 4 years

The negotiations start at north of 4 million.

A fair number lands somewhere between 4.5-5.5

Below 5 would be a discount if it’s 4 years

I didn't say a fair number; I said a fair home team discount(implied before the trade deadline when the Rangers leverage will likely be their greatest). If he is concerned about being traded, where he could land somewhere like Detroit, Arizona, etc......where he will not get the chance to play with one of the best players in the league; I don't think that would be unfair for them to settle on 4-4.5 million X 4 years.

How many players in the history of sports took a paycut after posting the best year of their career at 26?

I didn't say a fair number; I said a fair home team discount(implied before the trade deadline when the Rangers leverage will likely be their greatest). If he is concerned about being traded, where he could land somewhere like Detroit, Arizona, etc......where he will not get the chance to play with one of the best players in the league; I don't think that would be unfair for them to settle on 4-4.5 million X 4 years.

You have to factor in what his arb award would be. That’s probably going to be in the 4.5-5 million range.

If they can get him on a 4 year deal below 5 that’s the home town discount

His UFA deal probably goes north of 5 next year if it’s 4 years and he has another good season, which if he’s still playing with Panarin is fairly likely

Chris Pronger

He didn't take it, it was rolled back.

Also, this isn't "who took a paycut".

It's who took a paycut in his prime after a career year? This is Strome's chance for his most lucrative contract, so it's crazy to think he'll take less money than he's making now.

That said his goal is to play as many NHL games as possible so I don't he's gonna ask for $8 million.

You have to factor in what his arb award would be. That’s probably going to be in the 4.5-5 million range.

If they can get him on a 4 year deal below 5 that’s the home town discount

His UFA deal probably goes north of 5 next year if it’s 4 years and he has another good season, which if he’s still playing with Panarin is fairly likely

Probably one of the best contracts the Rangers signed in the last 10 years(besides the McDonough one) was that one Zucarelloe signed right before the trade deadline in 2015-16. If I remember correctly he was in a very similar situation as Strome where he was just starting to establish himself as a legitimate NHL player, when he was faced with the option of potentially losing his momentum by being traded to not as good of a situation or signing the home town discount contract that he did. The Rangers used their leverage perfectly, and benefited from it.

Every argument that I am seeing here is what he is fairly entitled to, which are all correct. What I am talking about which is how to better manage an asset.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/mats-zuccarello

Probably one of the best contracts the Rangers signed in the last 10 years(besides the McDonough one) was that one Zucarelloe signed right before the trade deadline in 2015-16. If I remember correctly he was in a very similar situation as Strome where he was just starting to establish himself as a legitimate NHL player, when he was faced with the option of potentially losing his momentum by being traded to not as good of a situation or signing the home town discount contract that he did. The Rangers used their leverage perfectly, and benefited from it.

Every argument that I am seeing here is what he is fairly entitled to, which are all correct. What I am talking about which is how to better manage an asset.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/mats-zuccarello

Wasn’t Zucc approaching UFA vs Strome approaching RFA?