• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kakko Opens Up About Rookie Season Challenges: 'It's not so easy'

Phil

?I played really well last season (in Finland?s Liiga) and I really enjoyed my time every day, every practice,? Kakko said following Monday?s practice at the MSG Training Center. ?So, before this season, I was thinking I could do the same. ?I can play like last season.? But it?s such a different league.?

It?s taken some time for him to accept that.

?Sometimes it?s not so easy,? he said. ?Of course, I want to do it now.?

?Usually before the games, I feel so good,? he said. ?Sometimes after the game I?m feeling bad when we lose the game and I?m playing not-so-many minutes.?

Earlier this season, that disappointment would consume him at times.

And while he still feels it ? patience is not a virtue for many teenagers ? he?s finding more productive ways to cope.

?He and I have talked,? Rangers coach David Quinn said. ?This was all new to him. He?s never been on a third line. He?s never not been the top guy. He?s always been the guy that scored. It?s taken some time for him to realize that doesn?t happen.?

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2020/01/22/kaapo-kakko-opens-up-rookie-season-challenges-ny-rangers/4526404002/

I like this part...

Kakko has impressed with how quickly he’s improved his English, which has made him more comfortable around his teammates.

In many respects, it's been a necessity. Kakko's family and friends are all back in Finland.

He'll return there this week during the all-star break for the first time since the season started.

Quinn said that Kakko "had a big smile on his face" when they talked about having more than a week off, which will give him a much-needed physical and mental break.

"I think it will be so good for me," Kakko said. "Hopefully get some rest and be ready after that."

“Now I’m thinking, ‘Just learn,’ ” Kakko said. “We have (Henrik Lundqvist) and Mika and (Artemi Panarin). I can watch what those guys are doing every day. Maybe next year, or in a couple more years, I can be one of the best players in the league.”

He's 18. He'll be fine.

I feel like once it comes to him it won't leave. He's just lacking confidence.

feels like every time he has the puck in the offensive zone he ends up passing up a shot and skates around the net. Like he's looking for the perfect shot to get him out of his funk.

I think he's gotta start playing a little bit more selfishly. Go balls to the wall, put pucks on net whenever you can. the goals will come.

I love this kid! He's gonna be a great one....just needs time to get everything together.

He'll get used to the league

He'll learn to speak the language better

He'll get bigger, and stronger

His skills will get better as he progresses

The kid's got ALL the tools...I'd bet my sack that he's gonna be a lifer here.

I love this kid! He's gonna be a great one....just needs time to get everything together.

He'll get used to the league

He'll learn to speak the language better

He'll get bigger, and stronger

His skills will get better as he progresses

The kid's got ALL the tools...I'd bet my sack that he's gonna be a lifer here.

All true

Can’t run out of patience though

Might be a while before any progress he makes plays out into tangible results and more time after that before he really approaches what he can be

But they have plenty of time

All true

Can’t run out of patience though

Might be a while before any progress he makes plays out into tangible results and more time after that before he really approaches what he can be

But they have plenty of time

The funny thing is that this kid is going to have 4 full years of NHL experience at age 22!!! Amazing!!!

“Now I’m thinking, ‘Just learn,’ ” Kakko said. “We have (Henrik Lundqvist) and Mika and (Artemi Panarin). I can watch what those guys are doing every day. Maybe next year, or in a couple more years, I can be one of the best players in the league.”

This is the best thing I could have read.

This is the best thing I could have read.

This kid clearly gets it. Can’t blame him for his frustration or getting down about things

You have to figure he’s been the best player on the ice, every time he’s stepped on the ice, since he was a kid

To have that trend reverse for him for the first time, is hard to handle

So he would understand being sent down to work at becoming the player he wants to be?

As him and Quinn said, its hard for him because he's used to dominate and always being the top guy on the team. How would having him play 1st line minutes, being the "top guy" in the AHL help him with that?

He just needs to figure out the league, that wont be done in the AHL.

I would figure almost every NHL player was the best player on the ice at almost every level they've ever played.

By in large, yes.

But for a lot of the Canadian kids, where they start playing in ultra competitive leagues at a young age, you might be playing with and against a bunch of future NHL’ers and not even be the best player on your own team.

Look at some of those Shattuck-St. Mary’s rosters too.

Loaded with guys who’ve played in the league

He’s already figuring the NHL out. I look for him on the ice every time now

He's been getting more noticeable in a good way one game at a time. Really hoping this break gives him quality rest and a chance to rejuvenate for the final stretch. It's important for his confidence to end the year on a high note.

I know it's been said time and again but the comparison of Kakko and last season Chytil really stand out in many ways. Being physically taken off the puck, the one on one battle level in the corners, and just overall confidence with the puck. If Kakko can progress like Chytil has, and I think he will, as a 19-20 year old in the NHL, he will be the stud we hoped for.

I know it's been said time and again but the comparison of Kakko and last season Chytil really stand out in many ways. Being physically taken off the puck, the one on one battle level in the corners, and just overall confidence with the puck. If Kakko can progress like Chytil has, and I think he will, as a 19-20 year old in the NHL, he will be the stud we hoped for.

Yeah, but the skating was never a concern with Chytil. He has always had a great stride, just needed to get stronger, which it appears he's doing. Kakko's stride is a problem along with the lack of strength.

Maybe I’ve dreamt this, but I could swear he looked totally at home in the first 10-15 games?

It’s probably a combination of confidence and the physical toll of playing in the NHL. Playing in Liiga doesn’t even remotely prepare you for that.

I thought he looked fine in those first 15 as well, Gravy. I just think that he's played too much hockey the last year without so much as a break. The off season will be a welcomed breather for the kid. Between the games with Finland and The Rangers, I think he's been going steady for a little over a year without a break.

To me it looks like tired hockey; like a guy who's at the end of a shift...the way that skating stride drags a bit...no jump....and the ever-famed lean on the stick! LOL