• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Realistic Prices on Long-Term Deals for Strome and DeAngelo?

RangersIn7

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strome for me: 4 years @ 5.25-5.5

Deangelo: 5 Years @ 5-6.

Not an easy thing to make big commitments to either based on one year.

I'm more interested in what they could have had Deangelo for in the summer. Haven't seen that number floating around anywhere.

Strome for me: 4 years @ 5.25-5.5

Deangelo: 5 Years @ 5-6.

Not an easy thing to make big commitments to either based on one year.

I'm more interested in what they could have had Deangelo for in the summer. Haven't seen that number floating around anywhere.

ADA...has to be $7m or more. Basing it on Trouba’s contract.

No way imo does ADA even get close to 7M. Trouba's contract is bloated imo too so no way I would use that as a baseline for ADA. Not for a completely one dimensional defensemen. If he's looking for 7 on this next contract he should pack his bags now.

No way ADA gets 7m. Trouba had played over 450 nhl games and has been established already as a d1 shut down d with offensive ability (whether we agree or not that was his label). ADA is considered offensive only and has played less than 200 nhl games. Nhl tenure does come into play a bit here.

Generally the more UFA years you buy the more it costs, so it depends on the term. I think that matters more with DeAngelo because he's on pace to be among the elite offensive defenseman in terms of production. My guesses?

Strome:

3 x 5

4 x 5.5

5 x 6

DeAngelo:

3 x 5.5

4 x 6

5 x 6.5

6 x 7

7 x 7.5

I'd do 3 years for Strome and 5 or 6 years for DeAngelo. That buys both until they are 30. They can get a nice contract when it's up, and the Rangers can pivot if need be. Makes sense for both sides.

No way ADA gets 7m. Trouba had played over 450 nhl games and has been established already as a d1 shut down d with offensive ability (whether we agree or not that was his label). ADA is considered offensive only and has played less than 200 nhl games. Nhl tenure does come into play a bit here.

How much are 60-65 point d-men are worth?

This. They bought UFA years from Trouba.

I'd sign ADA to a deal that takes him right to UFA and then move him (or keep him if you're competing). If anything let the arbitrator decide. They always split middle anyway.

Hopefully they learned from Trouba not to pay for one good year.

I'd sign ADA to a deal that takes him right to UFA and then move him (or keep him if you're competing). If anything let the arbitrator decide. They always split middle anyway.

You could say the same about not paying Strome for one good year. There shouldn't be any trepidation if they believe in the player. I'd be more confident in DeAngelo repeating consistently than Strome though to be honest.

You could say the same about not paying Strome for one good year. There shouldn't be any trepidation if they believe in the player. I'd be more confident in DeAngelo repeating consistently than Strome though to be honest.
The difference is I'm not talking about paying Strome top dollar and max term, which is what they gave Trouba and what was suggested for D'Angelo.

I've always said no more that $5.5 no more than 4 years. Which even if Strome went back to being a 45ish point player is still a bearable and moveable contract (look at JT Miller).

Put Chytil with Panarin and we can get Strome for 4/$20m if we want him.

With ADA I would go 4/$22m. His offense could be replaced. Arbitration is probably my real choice.

Overpaying for guys getting prime opportunities while the roster develops is a mistake.

I think we had a guy, does he wear #76?, who got a big contract based on one year and it did not turn out particularly well. Same thing with both of these guys. I'd have to review how arbitrators have been handling one good year cases.

I think you gotta follow the trend w/hard RFA deals for someone like DeAngelo. I believe he's 3 years from UFA, no? Give him 2 years, 11M - 4 M in 2020-21, 7M in 2021-22. It's quadrupling his pay next year, guaranteeing him a real damn good payday in 21, and ensuring a QO of 8.15M (I think) if they can't come to terms on a long term deal before then. 5.5 is a manageable cap hit for what he brings, I think.

Strome is way harder. He's maybe figured it out, maybe not, but I'm of a space that if he does not want to do the whole 5m-ish thing, you either let him test the market or you let this one go to arbitration. If Strome can really cash in on this season, we could get a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd on someone else taking a huge risk on him.

I think you gotta follow the trend w/hard RFA deals for someone like DeAngelo. I believe he's 3 years from UFA, no? Give him 2 years, 11M - 4 M in 2020-21, 7M in 2021-22. It's quadrupling his pay next year, guaranteeing him a real damn good payday in 21, and ensuring a QO of 8.15M (I think) if they can't come to terms on a long term deal before then. 5.5 is a manageable cap hit for what he brings, I think.

I’m kind of on that train with ADA too.

Love to have him here for a while, but if he’s their 3rd pairing RD, maybe a bridge of 2 years and a really nice increase is best.

Much as I hate to mess with the chemistry on Strome and Panarin, I think Strome only gets a 1 year arb award and that’s it

for him.

As for what I’d be willing to do,

Strome 4/$19 million for a $4.75 cap hit

ADA 5/$28.75 million for a $5.75 cap hit

But they probably go 1 year on Strome through arb and a bridge on ADA

Apropos not of the contract, but of the spirit of this thread: what do the RFA rights for Ryan Strome get us at the draft when you think about some of the more surprising teams likely to pick higher than expected?
What teams have a superstar winger and need a reliable/smart center?

Start there.