• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Realistic Prices on Long-Term Deals for Strome and DeAngelo?

RangersIn7

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The chances of getting DeAngelo under 5 for any amount of time is so incredibly small guys. 1 year arbitration might get him under that. You're not getting him on a multi-year contract for under 5. That's a complete pipe dream.

Agreed

But I think they can keep it under 6.

Is that too much though for a guy who probably as early as next year is your bottom pair RD?

The more I think about it, that’s where I’m torn.

How much are 60-65 point d-men are worth?

They are going to try and compare him to Dougie Hamilton who has a cap hit of 5.75m who came off a 40 point season at 22 and is a bit more well rounded. ADA is probably going to go around there since he’s just coming into his own. Tyson Barrie had 50+ points last year and has a 5.5m cap hit. Torrey Krug has 3 straight years of 50 point seasons and has a cap hit of 5.25m. Josi had a bunch of 50-60 point seasons with cap hits of 4m. You get the picture. I understand all these contracts were signed at different points and some when the player was 22 which is a bit young but the point still stands. What hurts ADA for a huge payday is that 2 years ago in 17/18 he had 8 points. EIGHT. Last year was on pace for about 40 points if he didn’t get hurt. This will be his 3 year bridge deal. Developmentally he gets paid like it and cashes in, probably elsewhere 3 years from now.

I’m kind of on that train with ADA too.

Love to have him here for a while, but if he’s their 3rd pairing RD, maybe a bridge of 2 years and a really nice increase is best.

Much as I hate to mess with the chemistry on Strome and Panarin, I think Strome only gets a 1 year arb award and that’s it

for him.

As for what I’d be willing to do,

Strome 4/$19 million for a $4.75 cap hit

ADA 5/$28.75 million for a $5.75 cap hit

But they probably go 1 year on Strome through arb and a bridge on ADA

ADA can play LD too.

That said, the current RFA trend is to basically "fake" a year of the contract using a qualifying offer. So, the deal for ADA that I've drawn up is 2 years, 11M...except we're never going to not qualify him, so it's really 3 years, 19M. However, we save on the cap hit.

Agreed

But I think they can keep it under 6.

Is that too much though for a guy who probably as early as next year is your bottom pair RD?

The more I think about it, that’s where I’m torn.

I mean, we're currently paying our bottom two LDs over 5m a year, aren't we?

ADA can play LD too.

That said, the current RFA trend is to basically "fake" a year of the contract using a qualifying offer. So, the deal for ADA that I've drawn up is 2 years, 11M...except we're never going to not qualify him, so it's really 3 years, 19M. However, we save on the cap hit.

I know he can. But do they want to move him?

The Rangers seem married, like lots of teams, to playing guys on their natural side.

And I can’t imagine him being anything but worse defensively if he’s forced to play his off side.

I wonder what AdA would get in arbitration.

I don?t think it?s crazy to go that route with him. It buys them one more year to take stock and decide the way forward.

He will get somewhere between his demands and teams offer whatever it may be.

@NYCKrash

I?m kind of on that train with ADA too.

Love to have him here for a while, but if he?s their 3rd pairing RD, maybe a bridge of 2 years and a really nice increase is best.

Much as I hate to mess with the chemistry on Strome and Panarin, I think Strome only gets a 1 year arb award and that?s it

for him.

As for what I?d be willing to do,

Strome 4/$19 million for a $4.75 cap hit

ADA 5/$28.75 million for a $5.75 cap hit

But they probably go 1 year on Strome through arb and a bridge on ADA

That does sound good to me....or even slightly less on team friendly deals.

@NYCKrash

I know he can. But do they want to move him?

The Rangers seem married, like lots of teams, to playing guys on their natural side.

And I can’t imagine him being anything but worse defensively if he’s forced to play his off side.

He scored a pretty nice goal from his "off side" the other day.

I get the whole handedness thing, but you aren't paying ADA for his phenomenal defense. If he's marginally worse at defending, but fills a need, do it.

He scored a pretty nice goal from his "off side" the other day.

I get the whole handedness thing, but you aren't paying ADA for his phenomenal defense. If he's marginally worse at defending, but fills a need, do it.

Oh dude, I agree with you.

Their 4 best D are Skjei, Trouba, Fox, and DeAngelo.

They’d be better off just moving one of Fox or DeAngelo to their off side, and have that be the top-4.

They just don’t seem willing.

My point is, a player like ADA is going to not only need, but warrant, top-4 minutes on a consistent basis moving forward. If you want to get the most out of him he’s going to command those minutes. And if they’re paying him a lot more, you’d be committed in a way to doing that.

I like the core of:

Skjei/Trouba

Fox/Lindgren

I think D'Angelo is at the pinnacle of his game right now, and we can get a good haul for him in return. We're going to need all the cap we can muster for when these kids come off their ELc's in a couple years.

They are going to try and compare him to Dougie Hamilton who has a cap hit of 5.75m who came off a 40 point season at 22 and is a bit more well rounded. ADA is probably going to go around there since he’s just coming into his own. Tyson Barrie had 50+ points last year and has a 5.5m cap hit. Torrey Krug has 3 straight years of 50 point seasons and has a cap hit of 5.25m. Josi had a bunch of 50-60 point seasons with cap hits of 4m. You get the picture. I understand all these contracts were signed at different points and some when the player was 22 which is a bit young but the point still stands. What hurts ADA for a huge payday is that 2 years ago in 17/18 he had 8 points. EIGHT. Last year was on pace for about 40 points if he didn’t get hurt. This will be his 3 year bridge deal. Developmentally he gets paid like it and cashes in, probably elsewhere 3 years from now.

problem is that these players had comparable numbers to ADA after they signed their contracts. also most of them were minus players when signed their contract, meaning the teams are paying for their offensive production, not so much for their defense.

Hamilton signed his $5.75M a year after scoring 40 points

Barrie--after scoring 49 points

Krug--44 points

Josi--signed in 2013 after scoring 18 points in 48 games

ADA will surpass all of them in scoring (barring injuries) and we're few years later. the cap has grown also. so I do not believe it is unreasonable that he might get $7M per if it is a long term contract.

problem is that these players had comparable numbers to ADA after they signed their contracts. also most of them were minus players when signed their contract, meaning the teams are paying for their offensive production, not so much for their defense.

Hamilton signed his $5.75M a year after scoring 40 points

Barrie--after scoring 49 points

Krug--44 points

Josi--signed in 2013 after scoring 18 points in 48 games

ADA will surpass all of them in scoring (barring injuries) and we're few years later. the cap has grown also. so I do not believe it is unreasonable that he might get $7M per if it is a long term contract.

$7 million per in cap hit would make him among the 15 highest paid D in the league

He’s getting a big raise. But I don’t think it gets that high. Not this soon. Not off 1 stellar season.

I don’t have a problem betting on him though. But it has to be a reasonable number.

$7 million per in cap hit would make him among the 15 highest paid D in the league

He’s getting a big raise. But I don’t think it gets that high. Not this soon. Not off 1 stellar season.

I don’t have a problem betting on him though. But it has to be a reasonable number.

short-term contract will probably be cheaper, but anything long term would have to be up there.

I agree

But I’d say the 5-6 range is up there. Especially when you’re only making what he’s making

If he gets that it’s like a 400-500% raise

arbitration probably awards him 5-6 for like 2 years. after that, if he keeps up offensive production, he'll command 8+. If the rangers want to keep him, they'd have to shell out around 7X7 now, if he agrees

arbitration probably awards him 5-6 for like 2 years. after that, if he keeps up offensive production, he'll command 8+. If the rangers want to keep him, they'd have to shell out around 7X7 now, if he agrees

I seriously doubt he gets $6M in arb.

I seriously doubt he gets $6M in arb.

Me too

Is there any comparable precedent with another player getting that kid of an increase in an arb award?

Is there any limitations on what a player can ask for or how much of an increase he can get or the arbitrator can actually award?

I know that current compensation level is a factor

I remember Shea Weber getting a 1-year award of $7.5 back in 2011.

But Weber was making $4-5 million already and had several excellent seasons leading up to it. Was runner-up for the Norris the year leading up to that award and had another top-5 finish prior