• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Does Pavel Buchnevich Need to be Dealt?

skjeitheday

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor thread title. He doesn't suck. He just hasn't blossomed into the player the Rangers had hoped he could be. Ironically, that sounds a lot like the player your username is centered around. I'm ready to move both of them. Between the 2, that's 8.5m in cap space that would be better utilized elsewhere.

Rangers’ damning inconsistency won’t change Pavel Buchnevich’s trade standing

Buchnevich has contended with flu-like symptoms for much of the past week, so maybe that’s part of the explanation. David Quinn cited how No. 89 had been “sick” lately while explaining why he flipped Buchnevich with Brendan Lemieux, back from the broken hand he suffered on Dec. 27 that had sidelined him for the previous nine contests. Buchnevich had been on the right with Mika Zibanejad and Chris Kreider for the previous 10 games, beginning with that match against the Hurricanes.

“I didn’t think he had it tonight,” the coach said of Buchnevich, whose struggles were illuminated during a late second-period shift in which he turned the puck over a couple of times while his line was pinned and he was caught on for 2:13.

But even as he has been a staple on the top six and on the second power-play unit, Buchnevich has not generated much offense. Indeed, the Russian winger has recorded one goal (and three assists) over his past 13 games. He has posted two goals (and four assists) over his past 23 matches.

And as most of the trade deadline talk has been focused on Kreider, Strome, Tony DeAngelo and Alexandar Georgiev, Buchnevich is certainly to be a topic of conversation in the executive suite as Feb. 24 approaches.

That goes whether or not the Rangers are still in, or on the periphery of, a playoff hunt.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/20/rangers-damning-inconsistency-wont-change-pavel-buchnevichs-trade-standing/

Because doesn't moving him help free up $$$ for potentially Kreider' date=' ADA, Strome?[/quote']

It does but he’s 24 and only making 3.25m and he’s an rfa after next year so they still control most leverage. It’s not that easy to find a 20 goal scorer with talent with that contract.

They have too much money tied up on the wrong defensive contracts.

It does but he’s 24 and only making 3.25m and he’s an rfa after next year so they still control most leverage. It’s not that easy to find a 20 goal scorer with talent with that contract.

Going to be really interesting to see how they handle these roster questions, both between now and the deadline and over the summer.

Many possibilities

I think he's the obvious forward that has to go. He should have put up 50-60 points easy with the opportunities presented to him this year.
Everyone likes to say that Strome is a product of Panarin, and I don't think there's much debate around that. It's true. That said, Strome and Buch are polar opposites and the exact reason you keep Strome is the reason you move Buch. You have to produce when being handed opportunities and Buch doesn't. It's easy to say "anyone can put up points playing with Zib or Panarin" yet we see that's not true at all with Buch and Fast.

He's occupying a roster spot that you might want to give a more talented and cheaper Kravtsov.

I hate to say it, but all 3 of those guys may not be in the plans long-term.

I agree that Kreider may not be. Personally, I'm on the fence with Kreider; I'd hate to see the back end of a long contract with him just because we don't have anyone to slot in now.

Strome, who the fuck knows? I keep him and play him with Panarin night in and night out until Strome falls apart.

ADA should definitely be in the plans for the future.

Everyone likes to say that Strome is a product of Panarin, and I don't think there's much debate around that. It's true. That said, Strome and Buch are polar opposites and the exact reason you keep Strome is the reason you move Buch. You have to produce when being handed opportunities and Buch doesn't. It's easy to say "anyone can put up points playing with Zib or Panarin" yet we see that's not true at all with Buch and Fast.

He's occupying a roster spot that you might want to give a more talented and cheaper Kravtsov.

Strome benefits from Panarin for sure.

But keep in mind, Panarin came in as an elite offensive player yet is having his best season as a pro. By far. And he spent 2 years playing with Patrick Kane.

The chemistry they have is obvious.

How much stock you put in that is debatable, but it definitely can’t be dismissed

I agree that Kreider may not be. Personally, I'm on the fence with Kreider; I'd hate to see the back end of a long contract with him just because we don't have anyone to slot in now.

Strome, who the fuck knows? I keep him and play him with Panarin night in and night out until Strome falls apart.

ADA should definitely be in the plans for the future.

They may not view either Strome or ADA as part of the future.

While I’d love to see them both around, we have no idea what the organization feels about them long term and whether they feel it wise to keep them

Just saying it’s not a no-brainer

If Strome is looking for a 5 year deal and 5 million or better, that may not work. If it’s a 3-4 year deal at around 5 or a little below, it’s doable. Just don’t know what they’d be willing to commit

If it goes to a 1-year arb award, he’d probably ask for 5-5.5. He’s making 3.1 now

Rangers probably offer low 4’s. It probably settles around 4.5-4.75

A 4 year deal at 4.5 per is probably palatable but he’d probably be able to get more elsewhere

ADA is tricky too.

I don’t like the idea of letting him get away.

But if you look at it reasonably, he’s not better all around than Trouba or Fox

Eventually, Fox will surpass him in minutes. He’s better and has plenty of offense to his game too. Fox is their best D right now

Unless they move one to their off side, would they pay DeAngelo big money for 17-18 minutes a night or so to be their 3rd RHD?

If they do, does that block a younger guy they’re high on and has a more complete game?

They may just keep ADA around through his RFA years on 1 year or bridge deals and move him off later.

And they’re not trading Trouba

They don’t want to

And the contract is prohibitive

Strome benefits from Panarin for sure.

But keep in mind, Panarin came in as an elite offensive player yet is having his best season as a pro. By far. And he spent 2 years playing with Patrick Kane.

The chemistry they have is obvious.

How much stock you put in that is debatable, but it definitely can’t be dismissed

Right, I'm just saying as it relates to what's happening with Buch now...You can't trade Strome and then just assume someone like Chytil will become a P/G player just because Strome was pacing that.

Right, I'm just saying as it relates to what's happening with Buch now...You can't trade Strome and then just assume someone like Chytil will become a P/G player just because Strome was pacing that.

No I get you.

It’s not automatic to just plug someone in with Panarin and watch them produce. Totally agree

I agree that they should not trade him while his value is at a low point. This is where he was last year, and then he perked up after the deadline and increased his value to the extent that we gave him a pretty generous contract. Chances are we will be playing out the schedule after the deadline, and hopefully he will increase his value again.

I agree that they should not trade him while his value is at a low point. This is where he was last year, and then he perked up after the deadline and increased his value to the extent that we gave him a pretty generous contract. Chances are we will be playing out the schedule after the deadline, and hopefully he will increase his value again.

Unlikely he’d go in season anyway

At the draft maybe

I've wanted Buch gone for years. I was on the fence with Strome but he had the stats. Watching him make some pretty bad plays vs Islanders and CBJ has me soured on him at the moment. Since his value is high and Buch is low, I think it would be great to move them together if possible. The pace of the NHL has forced guys like them to have to think too fast and their just unable to do that reliably. It's still a somewhat small sampling but Chytil continues to look better and better for that 2C spot next to Bread.