• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Does Pavel Buchnevich Need to be Dealt?

skjeitheday

Not sure what games folks are watching to even try and compare Strome and Buch.

Gotta take a step back as a fan base when we're saying the game is too fast for a guy with 42 points in 47 games.

I agree

It’s even possible that Strome has actually turned a corner and taken that “next step” in his career.

Whether or not that’s the case for him is yet to be determined, but this was a guy who was drafted 5th overall in his draft year, and now that he’s gotten a chance to play more minutes than ever before and do so with an elite player, he’s producing.

His age, potential contract size long-term, and where they are in the rebuild probably work against him being here though.

It’s tough

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Strome thinks the game just fine, he's typically an intelligent player, last night aside.

Strome is let down by his abilities, I don't think he possess premium talent. That doesn't mean he isn't useful, but his "PAG"... Well, I guess I don't trust that it's going to continue unless Panarin has a career year every year.

And even if it does, is that the guy I want head to head against premium centremen? Again, I'm not so sure about that.

I want to retain him, but I'd be very very careful about that commitment.

I think Strome thinks the game just fine, he's typically an intelligent player, last night aside.

Strome is let down by his abilities, I don't think he possess premium talent. That doesn't mean he isn't useful, but his "PAG"... Well, I guess I don't trust that it's going to continue unless Panarin has a career year every year.

And even if it does, is that the guy I want head to head against premium centremen? Again, I'm not so sure about that.

It’s tricky with him and all that you’re saying is fair stuff to say.

Strome is probably the right kind of player, but just bad timing at too high a price to keep around beyond next year.

I agree

It?s even possible that Strome has actually turned a corner and taken that ?next step? in his career.

Whether or not that?s the case for him is yet to be determined, but this was a guy who was drafted 5th overall in his draft year, and now that he?s gotten a chance to play more minutes than ever before and do so with an elite player, he?s producing.

His age, potential contract size long-term, and where they are in the rebuild probably work against him being here though.

It?s tough

All fair comments. Contract is already being discussed elsewhere so won't re-hash it here.

I just think it's a real statement/indictment of fans when a player comes here and does nothing but succeed, there's no one to replace him, and folks are still trying to ship him out only because he has great chemistry with the best player on the team. Shrieks of Nylander getting run out town for Gomez because he "wanted too much"...How'd that go? And Nylander wasn't 27...

Everyone wants to trade crap for the reclamation project, and when the reclamation project pans out they want to ship him out, too. Similar to ADA. Not many players having that kind of success and to be successful in NY takes something extra.

All fair comments. Contract is already being discussed elsewhere so won't re-hash it here.

I just think it's a real statement/indictment of fans when a player comes here and does nothing but succeed, there's no one to replace him, and folks are still trying to ship him out only because he has great chemistry with the best player on the team. Shrieks of Nylander getting run out town for Gomez because he "wanted too much"...How'd that go? And Nylander wasn't 27...

Everyone wants to trade crap for the reclamation project, and when the reclamation project pans out they want to ship him out, too. Similar to ADA. Not many players having that kind of success and to be successful in NY takes something extra.

I feel exactly the same

We had the dream come true on both of them. They come in, play well, produce tangible results and are consistently and visibly helping.

I don’t want to lose either of them.

Just that circumstances might create a situation where one or both of them go.

Gomez got flipped for McD, who anchored our D to multiple deep playoff runs...so it went pretty well? :p

Like I said, we have plenty of other ways to use the cap space that Buchnevich and Skjei consume. I would trade Buchnevich to clear the extra cap space to make Strome fit more comfortably. He makes 3 now and he should probably wind up around 5 per. Buchnevich 3.25 gone covers that increase plus replacement cost (Kravtsov?).

Like I said, we have plenty of other ways to use the cap space that Buchnevich and Skjei consume. I would trade Buchnevich to clear the extra cap space to make Strome fit more comfortably. He makes 3 now and he should probably wind up around 5 per. Buchnevich 3.25 gone covers that increase plus replacement cost (Kravtsov?).

That’s a viable option, and it could shake out that way.

Buchnevich is definitely a guy who might not be here too much longer and moving him could facilitate keeping other they feel are more important.

I think the Skjei thing is unrealistic though.

The organization appears to be committed to him.

Probably a dumb idea since there is a known chemistry right now between Panarin and Strome and it might not be smart to interrupt that. However, I would love to see Chytil get some time with Panarin to see how they fair together. If there is some similar chemistry I wouldn't mind keeping Strome around for the 3C spot. Of course, that would play differently on how the Rangers would wanna pay him so that could become a problem all in itself. Also a conversation for the Strome thread rather than this one for Buch but I am just rolling with the present conversation.

Probably a dumb idea since there is a known chemistry right now between Panarin and Strome and it might not be smart to interrupt that. However, I would love to see Chytil get some time with Panarin to see how they fair together. If there is some similar chemistry I wouldn't mind keeping Strome around for the 3C spot. Of course, that would play differently on how the Rangers would wanna pay him so that could become a problem all in itself. Also a conversation for the Strome thread rather than this one for Buch but I am just rolling with the present conversation.

Yup. Long term, agreed on Chytil. I am interested to see how that would look.

I like the idea of having some C depth here at this point rather than keep a guy like Buchnevich. You can mix and match lines as necessary with Zib/Chytil/Strome down the middle.

I like the idea of having some C depth here at this point rather than keep a guy like Buchnevich. You can mix and match lines as necessary with Zib/Chytil/Strome down the middle.

That’s probably the plan.

Can they and are they willing to pay Strome what he wants though to have him be their 3C. It would probably be too much to have him in that role.

Would love to see that for a few years with Howden rounding out the 4C. Of course this could all change once we hit the draft lotto this year and draft Lafreniere haha

That?s probably the plan.

Can they and are they willing to pay Strome what he wants though to have him be their 3C. It would probably be too much to have him in that role.

if you want to see that combination, the best idea is to move Fast or not re-sign him, then just have Strome play right wing on that line.

Or just play Fast on the 4th line where he belongs...

While I agree Fast belongs on the 4th line I would rather see Strome slot in the 3C spot.
There's no reason to do that but if you're going to do that just get rid of Strome. He's already making what a 3rd liner should make and deserves a raise.

That said, this is exactly the kind of sentiment that leaves me scratching my head cuz it doesn't make sense. You have 2 players with chemistry and you're asking to break them up for no reason at all and move him to the third line when he's done nothing but produce.

There's no reason to do that but if you're going to do that just get rid of Strome. He's already making what a 3rd liner should make and deserves a raise.

That said, this is exactly the kind of sentiment that leaves me scratching my head cuz it doesn't make sense. You have 2 players with chemistry and you're asking to break them up for no reason at all and move him to the third line when he's done nothing but produce.

Hence my comment about seeing if Chytil can find some similar chemistry. Do you want Howden centering the 3rd? I don't. Not yet at least.

The reason you do it is because Strome might be more of a stop gap until Chytil matures (more). Then you let him go and give that money to Chytil. With the way Chytil is playing, he may be near that point now. So you see if he's got chemistry with Panarin and you can make a better decision about whether to allocate money to Strome or not. It might be obvious within a short time period whether Chytil/Panarin click or not.