• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

OK — What to do with Strome Now?

The Dude

He?s actually 16th in goals by D-men (7) and 13th in SOG (115).

He misses the net sometimes ofcourse, but its not as bad as you want it to look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yes being 16th on goals surely proves... What?

He's 9th in shots missed wide, too. He's 77th in shooting percentage on D. That's worse than ADA, Fox, Staal and Skjei.

I think my point stands. I don't "want" it to look like anything. It is what it is to anyone watching and reading the box car stats and advanced stats. You have to dig real deep to make a case that he's not the third best RHD who makes about $3 million more than he should. Even the "but zone starts and tough assignments" argument is weak because his goal differential and shot metrics aren't great either.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a child for a period in his life, yes.

Avery is an actual asshole par excellence and a general piece of shit in life as an adult and he's one of the most popular Rangers of all time. Suuuuper progressive, though.

What's your point here? Avery was an instant fan favorite because he pissed off everyone in a black and red jersey. ADA was a terrifying reclamation project that's had to work to win that respect strictly because his asshole-ness wasn't on-ice antics.

Yes being 16th on goals surely proves... What?

He's 9th in shots missed wide, too. He's 77th in shooting percentage on D. That's worse than ADA, Fox, Staal and Skjei.

I think my point stands. I don't "want" it to look like anything. It is what it is to anyone watching and reading the box car stats and advanced stats. You have to dig real deep to make a case that he's not the third best RHD who makes about $3 million more than he should. Even the "but zone starts and tough assignments" argument is weak because his goal differential and shot metrics aren't great either.

Let's concede this - for what we're getting right now, he's overpaid by ~10-15%. At 6.8M or so, we're probably having a different conversation. We've also got another, what, 11M+ in dead weight D?

This is a young, porous defensive team - or at least it has been for most of the season. Even the best D men in the world aren't going to be able to drag one of three rookies, or a very disinterested partner, to amazing GD/Corsi/Fenwick metrics. That goes double when you've got as many rookies up front, who are just now "getting it" and pushing play.

I'd probably say it this way: right now, Trouba's being leaned on in a very different way than he's probably used to, and he's still doing well enough on the boxcars and as well as can be hoped on the fancystats given the circumstances. I think ADA being what he is, and Fox arriving as fast as he has is a good problem to have. I believe ADA can play left side as well.

For me, it's a "these circumstances aren't awesome, so let's wait and see"

I just think DeAngelo is part of what makes this teams offense that much more lethal. Take him off the team and they are spread thinner on offensive talent. He's just about at that level where he can be a game changer.

The way of big bruising D men is gone man. Not many quality big men around anymore. And let's not forget how a team like Boston hot a huge push from the offense of Krug a few years ago. That kid isn't huge. He kicked ass in the playoffs.

You need pick carriers in this league now. They make all the difference. This kid is dynamite. I can't stress enough how much I feel he adds to the offense. I get your desire for a strong stay at home guy. That's where Lindgren comes in. They have Miller in the pipe. He's got that size your looking for. Hajek, Rykov, all these prospects don't seem like they are anything more than stay at home types.. Let's use them and then decide on if DeAngelo is expendable..

I focus more on dumping the dead weight in Staal, Skjei and Smith. Replace THEM with the type of players you are looking for, and then this team is a serious threat.

We can disagree on that one, but I get where you're coming from, man. I look at a guy like Chara...he's big, bruising and can move the puck. He can also fire lasers at the net. That's where I'm going...not Dylan McIlrath. ;)

One can also debate that with the absence of ADA, you won't need as much scoring because we won't give up as many...but I think this team will score just fine once we get a few players back in the deals we make for these guys. Remember, we'll most likely get back some value in these players we trade...or at least I hope so! LOL

We can disagree on that one, but I get where you're coming from, man. I look at a guy like Chara...he's big, bruising and can move the puck. He can also fire lasers at the net. That's where I'm going...not Dylan McIlrath. ;)

One can also debate that with the absence of ADA, you won't need as much scoring because we won't give up as many...but I think this team will score just fine once we get a few players back in the deals we make for these guys. Remember, we'll most likely get back some value in these players we trade...or at least I hope so! LOL

Chara is a Unicorn

Pronger

He’s the only other one I can think of with near that amount of size, mobility, grit, physicality, and an offensive game to match.

Shea Weber too, but he’s not quite to their level.

That St Louis D looks rather sizable...That Pietrangelo (12-26-38 +12) fella is rather decent, not to mention Parayko (2-11-13 +3). I don't think it's a terrible idea to model a team after one that won a cup.

They need to keep him.

He?s definitely helped by playing with Panarin. And his shooting percentage has normalized quite a bit, down to around 16%, like a 7% decline over where he was at, which we all expected and knew was unsustainable.

But those two have chemistry, he?s at a point per game pace, and he?s at that seemingly significant 7th season mark in career for guys who get drafted high and enter the league at 18-20. Many guys come into the league at that age, kind of struggle, play at a middling level, bounce around a little, but they get to the stage and age he?s at now, on the right team and place, find some chemistry and take off.

I think that?s what?s happened with him.

I agree, he has found himself and a home in NY. Now, playing with Panarian helps but don't discount how well he played after coming to the Rangers last year. I don't think he would be producing to the level with Panarian but he is an asset to the team. They have to find a way to re-sign him.

@NYCKrash

Regarding ADA

I don't see how we can keep D'Angelo. If we didn't have 5 prospects in the pipeline like we do, I'd say yeah sure. Nothing wrong with having a guy like ADA. He's tough, can skate well and has very good offensive capability.

BUT

He's a defensive liability and he's going to do 2 things:

Block a prospect that may very well be better at what we need him for: Defense

Take up very valuable cap space that we're going to need down the pike a bit.

ADA is not likely to take a friendly deal now that he's hot and also since the Rangers made him wait with his current deal.

Kreider's done here...

Strome I'm not sure yet. I can't make up my mind on him just yet....I keep flipping back and forth on him.

Those prospects he will be blocking such as Lundqvist or Miller may need some more time with the Pack to develop. It could be two or three seasons before they are regular in the NHL lineup. By that time ADA may be moveable.

No matter what is done with Strome, ADA, Fast, they have to stop giving NTC to everyone.

@NYCKrash

That St Louis D looks rather sizable...That Pietrangelo (12-26-38 +12) fella is rather decent, not to mention Parayko (2-11-13 +3). I don't think it's a terrible idea to model a team after one that won a cup.

I feel you

Pietrangelo though isn’t nearly that big and Parayko doesn’t have that kind of offense

I’m saying 6’4” 230 and bigger with offense to boot is exceedingly rare

• Like 1

I feel you

Pietrangelo though isn’t nearly that big and Parayko doesn’t have that kind of offense

I'm with you 7! I get where you're going, my man!! ;)

I just don't wanna see the smurfs brigade anymore. We could definitely add some size up front as well...

Regarding ADAThose prospects he will be blocking such as Lundqvist or Miller may need some more time with the Pack to develop. It could be two or three seasons before they are regular in the NHL lineup. By that time ADA may be moveable.

No matter what is done with Strome, ADA, Fast, they have to stop giving NTC to everyone.

@NYCKrash

I gotcha Krash, but there are a few more than Miller and Lundqvist. You also have Keane, Rykov and Robertson. Yes they have about 3 years before we see some of them, true. Again cost comes into the picture here as well as with Kreider.

Thing is with ADA, I just don't feel him as a defenseman. He backs in way too much, hardly ever cuts off a cross ice pass on an odd man rush, and gets caught up ice an awful lot for a guy that plays defense....I just think he's a luxury we don't need here. We have Fox, and he's much better at the position....and what's more is that he's cost controlled and going to improve even more.

What you're seeing from ADA is tops...I say sell high!

I feel you

It's not though...

Brent Burns 6'5" 230

Victor Hedman 6'6" 229

Dougie Hamilton 6'6" 229

Shea Weber 6'4" 230

Darnell Nurse 6'4" 221

Seth Jones 6'4" 209

And that doesn't cover prospects like...

Moritz Seider 6'4" 207

K'Andre Miller 6'4" 207

Nicolas Hague 6'6" 214

Cal Foote 6'4" 220

It's not though...

Brent Burns 6'5" 230

Victor Hedman 6'6" 229

Dougie Hamilton 6'6" 229

Shea Weber 6'4" 230

Darnell Nurse 6'4" 221

Seth Jones 6'4" 209

Moritz Seider 6'4" 207

K'Andre Miller 6'4" 207

Nicolas Hague 6'6" 214

Cal Foote 6'4" 220

I guess it depends on what you consider rare. That's 6 defensemen across 31 teams, which is a minimum total of 186 defensemen in the NHL. 6 is about 3% of all dmen. I'd probably consider that pretty rare.

• Like 1

It's not though...

Brent Burns 6'5" 230

Victor Hedman 6'6" 229

Dougie Hamilton 6'6" 229

Shea Weber 6'4" 230

Darnell Nurse 6'4" 221

Seth Jones 6'4" 209

Moritz Seider 6'4" 207

K'Andre Miller 6'4" 207

Nicolas Hague 6'6" 214

Cal Foote 6'4" 220

That’s 6 guys.

Out of 180 NHL defensemen.

Less than 5%

I’d call that rare.

And not all those guys qualify in all those areas, IMO

I guess it depends on what you consider rare. That's 6 defensemen across 31 teams, which is a minimum total of 186 defensemen in the NHL. 6 is about 3% of all dmen. I'd probably consider that pretty rare.

Except, I thought these guys up off the top of my head and it also depends on your thresh hold for 'offense to boot' is. There 18 Dmen that are 6'3"+ and over 200lbs that currently have 20 points or more. I don't call that exceedingly rare.

Exceedingly rare is a 6'3" 236lb dude that scores 50 goals a year.

Except, I thought these guys up off the top of my head and it also depends on your thresh hold for 'offense to boot' is. There 18 Dmen that are 6'3"+ and over 200lbs that currently have 20 points or more. I don't call that exceedingly rare.

Exceedingly rare is a 6'3" 236lb dude that scores 50 goals a year.

Fair

But there aren’t that many more if you really look. And again, not all the guys you named fit all those categories.

Chara and Pronger are HOF guys.

It’s an uncommon thing

But let me get this straight. We have a defenseman that should put up around 55-65 points this year and is 24 years old. We should want to trade him because we want bigger guys and might have prospects that might pan out to be good too. It always amazes me how we wanted to build for the future, then get a piece that clearly could be part of the future, then decide he might not fit because we are building for the future again lol.

We certainly are a crazy bunch. We get rid of this kid and we will be regretting it for quite a while.

But let me get this straight. We have a defenseman that should put up around 55-65 points this year and is 24 years old. We should want to trade him because we want bigger guys and might have prospects that might pan out to be good too. It always amazes me how we wanted to build for the future, then get a piece that clearly could be part of the future, then decide he might not fit because we are building for the future again lol.

We certainly are a crazy bunch. We get rid of this kid and we will be regretting it for quite a while.

I don’t think “want to trade him” is accurate.

Teams are asking about him and front office is listening. I think that’s the limit of it.

To be fair, I believe they’d have to be blown away with an offer to even consider it.

Everything we see and say about him, they do too.

They know what they have on their hands.

I know it sounds crazy, but I just don't think that ADA can play the position very well. He can score points, that's awesome, don't get me wrong...but we have a guy that can not only score points, but he can play the position better. (Fox). My point, (..and this is my opinion Keirik) is that we have offensive talent, good enough to compete right now. But we don't have the defensive talent or toughness. I feel like we'll have more than enough to replace ADA coming through the pipeline, if we give our prospects the chance.

Not only that, but when these players are ready to break out 2-3 years down the road, we could have sold off ADA at a high to bring back something we need: Another center perhaps, a big grinding 2-way winger, or even another big defenseman...much bigger and tougher to take the place of Staal who's going to most likely be done here after next season.

I know it sounds crazy, but I just don't think that ADA can play the position very well. He can score points, that's awesome, don't get me wrong...but we have a guy that can not only score points, but he can play the position better. (Fox). My point, (..and this is my opinion Keirik) is that we have offensive talent, good enough to compete right now. But we don't have the defensive talent or toughness. I feel like we'll have more than enough to replace ADA coming through the pipeline, if we give our prospects the chance.

Not only that, but when these players are ready to break out 2-3 years down the road, we could have sold off ADA at a high to bring back something we need: Another center perhaps, a big grinding 2-way winger, or even another big defenseman...much bigger and tougher to take the place of Staal who's going to most likely be done here after next season.

Not sure that Fox has the offensive ceiling that ADA is showing he has.

Possible, but yet to be seen.

DeAngelo is showing himself to be elite offensively

Hard to move a guy like that