• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

OK — What to do with Strome Now?

The Dude

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how we can keep D'Angelo. If we didn't have 5 prospects in the pipeline like we do, I'd say yeah sure. Nothing wrong with having a guy like ADA. He's tough, can skate well and has very good offensive capability.

BUT

He's a defensive liability and he's going to do 2 things:

Block a prospect that may very well be better at what we need him for: Defense

Take up very valuable cap space that we're going to need down the pike a bit.

ADA is not likely to take a friendly deal now that he's hot and also since the Rangers made him wait with his current deal.

Kreider's done here...

Strome I'm not sure yet. I can't make up my mind on him just yet....I keep flipping back and forth on him.

I don't see how we can keep D'Angelo. If we didn't have 5 prospects in the pipeline like we do, I'd say yeah sure. Nothing wrong with having a guy like ADA. He's tough, can skate well and has very good offensive capability.

BUT

ADA is not likely to take a friendly deal now that he's hot and also since the Rangers made him wait with his current deal.

Kreider's done here...

Strome I'm not sure yet. I can't make up my mind on him just yet....I keep flipping back and forth on him.

They can always deal a prospect and likely will do so at some point. Not all of them will pan out anyway

Keeping ADA should be a priority. Deficiencies not withstanding, he’s potentially a 20 goal, 70 point defenseman. Perhaps he’s that as soon as right now. They don’t grow on trees. And only 24.

They have the opportunity to lock up the best years of his career.

Hard to pass that up.

They can always deal a prospect and likely will do so at some point. Not all of them will pan out anyway

Keeping ADA should be a priority. Deficiencies not withstanding, he’s potentially a 20 goal, 70 point defenseman. Perhaps he’s that as soon as right now. They don’t grow on trees. And only 24.

They have the opportunity to lock up the best years of his career.

Hard to pass that up.

I hear ya 7, but it's all about cost with him. The Rangers made him a deal and he took this one. I don't think he's going to be so generous this time. He's on fire right now, and his value is as high as it's ever been...probably the most sought after defenseman out there right now that may be available.

We could get a ton for him and possibly get rid of a bad contract with it.

I'm guessing but if I'm D'Angelo, and I see what guys like Trouba, Subban, and Shattenkirk are making, I'm looking long term and big bucks. Somewhere like 6 years 6 million at least, and I think that's too long and too rich for the Rangers.

We shall see though. I don't hate ADA, I just don't think he's the answer to the puzzle here. I don't think we need scoring as much as we need guys who can defend better.

Well both Strome and ADA are rfas with arbitration rights. Both probably stay and at worst after arbitration. I don’t think you can get rid of ADA because there are guys in the pipeline. To me that’s crazy. Premier offensive defensemen aren’t that common. He’s young so he will still learn and improve defensively. We are good offensively. Part of the reason is due to him. I think the pairing of him and Fox. I think they can be a force within the next 2-3 years and be dominant on the ice. What you do is try and get rid od Skjei, Staal, and Smith. At worst two of them are def gone at the end of next year but you need to lose at least one of those contracts to keep Strome and ADA even if it’s just for whatever they get in arbitration.
  • Like 1

Have to retain Strome and DeAngelo. It's a no question,.no brainers honestly. This is the step forward this team needed this year. Now sell kreider for a defensive D man and we are on our way. Literally a strong Defensive D man away from competing for playoffs again.

Well both Strome and ADA are rfas with arbitration rights. Both probably stay and at worst after arbitration. I don’t think you can get rid of ADA because there are guys in the pipeline. To me that’s crazy. Premier offensive defensemen aren’t that common. He’s young so he will still learn and improve defensively. We are good offensively. Part of the reason is due to him. I think the pairing of him and Fox. I think they can be a force within the next 2-3 years and be dominant on the ice. What you do is try and get rid od Skjei, Staal, and Smith. At worst two of them are def gone at the end of next year but you need to lose at least one of those contracts to keep Strome and ADA even if it’s just for whatever they get in arbitration.

Ideally you want to sign both of them long term

But if you can’t, they get the 1 year arb award and they take another run at a long term extension next year.

You don't step over pennies (ADA) to pick up dollars (what's in the pipeline).

That's fucking stupid and poor asset management. You have a great commodity in ADA; on no planet do you trade him for what some of your kids might hold in potential down the line.

No.

You don't step over pennies (ADA) to pick up dollars (what's in the pipeline).

That's fucking stupid and poor asset management. You have a great commodity in ADA; on no planet do you trade him for what some of your kids might hold in potential down the line.

No.

but we also have Fox and Trouba. if we only had ADA with offensive capabilities then it would be a no-brainer.

I know I'm in the minority with this one fellas and I get what you're saying, believe me...but this guy isn't Ray Bourque or Chris Chelios were talking about here. I simply think he's gonna cost too much to keep and it's going to hurt us defensively and down the road when we need cap space.

He's going to most likely want a 'No trade' as well, but we shall see.

How cool would it be to package Kreider, ADA and Staal, or some other shit contract (Smith) to get back a king's ransom of picks and promising young players?? That's where I'm at.

UFA + something of value + something of negative value ≠ a king's ransom.

You're making shit up by saying you think he'll get a NMC; don't project.

The guy's hot, Philly. ..and I didn't say he's definitely getting one..I said, "he'll most likely want"...that's projecting, dude...yeah ;)

Doesn't make a difference though man, ADA is pricing himself right into a big trade...The Rangers have a load in the pipeline, and they're going to need every dollar they have to resign these kids when they turn into big guns in a couple years.

I know I'm in the minority with this one fellas and I get what you're saying, believe me...but this guy isn't Ray Bourque or Chris Chelios were talking about here. I simply think he's gonna cost too much to keep and it's going to hurt us defensively and down the road when we need cap space.

He's going to most likely want a 'No trade' as well, but we shall see.

How cool would it be to package Kreider, ADA and Staal, or some other shit contract (Smith) to get back a king's ransom of picks and promising young players?? That's where I'm at.

No no no no. Besides the fact I don’t think that brings back a Kings random of anything if you include a bad contract. You know what you have in ADA. A young defenseman with high offensive potential. In other words, a promising player lol. We shouldn’t want to trade a promising player in hopes of getting a future promising player in return. You aren’t building a winning team that way. He’s a good skater, fairly tough for his size, mobile, and he’s not in a position at this point in his career to demand a 9m contract with nmc. He also had proven he can play in NY which tends to eat some people up at times. He’s an RFA that is showing his first bit of real potential. There isn’t 3 years of past elite success to bargain with. You’re going to have to pay him, but somewhere in the range of 5m or so for 3-4 years hopefully.

BUT

Kreider's done here...

Let's be real here. DeAngelo isn't here for his defense. The kid is a wonder on offense and probably the most gifted of that kind in the organization. I keep rolling with DeAngelo. You can't gamble on the prospects that haven't played one single NHL game. Let's see what those kids are, before we prematurely insert them as players that are going to take DeAngelos spot. He might hit 50 points this season. Which is his FIRST full season. He's still super young at 24, and people are pushing him out as if he's old and like they NEED more youth.

As for Strome. It's definitely working. But let's not forget it's a contract year. I'm all for it and have been since it was brought up at the start of the season. 40-50 points. 5 ish million. Let's hope he doesn't have an inflated ego and hinks he deserves top dollar. I think if they are going to extend him, they should map that out now...

The guy's hot, Philly. ..and I didn't say he's definitely getting one..I said, "he'll most likely want"...that's projecting, dude...yeah ;)

Doesn't make a difference though man, ADA is pricing himself right into a big trade...The Rangers have a load in the pipeline, and they're going to need every dollar they have to resign these kids when they turn into big guns in a couple years.

He has one solid year and you think he's going to cash in??? He's lucky if he gets 4 million. That's what he's worth right now. I don't see him asking or getting more than that.

I think Chytil is ready to be a 2C, especially if he gets a wing like Panarin.

Would listen on any of our UFAs. Just like Kreider, it is probably a question of term and if we can possibly dump a bad contract or two. That Shatty buyout sure eats up a lot of cap.

No no no no. Besides the fact I don?t think that brings back a Kings random of anything if you include a bad contract. You know what you have in ADA. A young defenseman with high offensive potential. In other words, a promising player lol. We shouldn?t want to trade a promising player in hopes of getting a future promising player in return. You aren?t building a winning team that way. He?s a good skater, fairly tough for his size, mobile, and he?s not in a position at this point in his career to demand a 9m contract with nmc. He also had proven he can play in NY which tends to eat some people up at times. He?s an RFA that is showing his first bit of real potential. There isn?t 3 years of past elite success to bargain with. You?re going to have to pay him, but somewhere in the range of 5m or so for 3-4 years hopefully.

Let's be real here. DeAngelo isn't here for his defense. The kid is a wonder on offense and probably the most gifted of that kind in the organization. I keep rolling with DeAngelo. You can't gamble on the prospects that haven't played one single NHL game. Let's see what those kids are, before we prematurely insert them as players that are going to take DeAngelos spot. He might hit 50 points this season. Which is his FIRST full season. He's still super young at 24, and people are pushing him out as if he's old and like they NEED more youth.

As for Strome. It's definitely working. But let's not forget it's a contract year. I'm all for it and have been since it was brought up at the start of the season. 40-50 points. 5 ish million. Let's hope he doesn't have an inflated ego and hinks he deserves top dollar. I think if they are going to extend him, they should map that out now...

He has one solid year and you think he's going to cash in??? He's lucky if he gets 4 million. That's what he's worth right now. I don't see him asking or getting more than that.

Like I said fellas...I know I'm in the minority here, but I totally get where you guys are coming from. I just think that in year 1 of a rebuild, the team should be looking at other pieces. I'm curious to see what JD, Gorton and company have up their sleeves at the deadline. I can live with ADA, I just think there are better options for him, and the team.

Like I said fellas...I know I'm in the minority here, but I totally get where you guys are coming from. I just think that in year 1 of a rebuild, the team should be looking at other pieces. I'm curious to see what JD, Gorton and company have up their sleeves at the deadline. I can live with ADA, I just think there are better options for him, and the team.

I can understand the hesitation but I’m just saying. When you draft players, you hope that they turn into something NHL ready. When you draft early round players, you hope they turn into an impact NHL player. ADA was drafted early as a hopeful offensive impact player. He’s turning into that. You retain that. You never know what actually happens with anyone drafted until it actually happens. If it turns out 3 years from now that they have too many good players then that’s a problem I’ll sign up for every day of the year, twice on Sundays.

Besides, for now, you hope you can sign him to a 3 year deal and by the end of that if he’s up for a big payday somewhere else, so be it but by then we will know if he’s replaceable or not and plenty of dead weight is off the books and theoretically we should already be a cup contender.

• Like 1

I can understand the hesitation but I’m just saying. When you draft players, you hope that they turn into something NHL ready. When you draft early round players, you hope they turn into an impact NHL player. ADA was drafted early as a hopeful offensive impact player. He’s turning into that. You retain that. You never know what actually happens with anyone drafted until it actually happens. If it turns out 3 years from now that they have too many good players then that’s a problem I’ll sign up for every day of the year, twice on Sundays.

Besides, for now, you hope you can sign him to a 3 year deal and by the end of that if he’s up for a big payday somewhere else, so be it but by then we will know if he’s replaceable or not and plenty of dead weight is off the books and theoretically we should already be a cup contender.

So well said....so well said.....MUST KEEP ADA; first round pick that turned into his potential+. We cant hang our hat on our draft picks turning into anything until they do because we could have more Dylan McIlrath's and Bobby Sanguinettis on our hands; we won't know for years. Again, they must retain ADA and Strome. Bye CK20.

I'm not saying they should definitely trade ADA but you've gotta see what someone will give you for him.

Some scenarios where he stays are:

1. Move to left side or

2. Accept paying your third best RHD $8 million, which sets the bar for Fox and ADA

3. Otherwise blocking other RD from coming up.

The thing is, you're going to get more in a package for ADA than a prospect. If they can maximize the return on him, you have to explore it.

I'm not saying they should definitely trade ADA but you've gotta see what someone will give you for him.

Some scenarios where he stays are:

1. Move to left side or

2. Accept paying your third best RHD $8 million, which sets the bar for Fox and ADA

3. Otherwise blocking other RD from coming up.

The thing is, you're going to get more in a package for ADA than a prospect. If they can maximize the return on him, you have to explore it.

They can and should listen to all offers.

I’m in favor, big time, of keeping him. I think his offensive skill is rare and he’s a piece they should build around.

But if someone wants to blow them away, you listen

• Like 1

They can and should listen to all offers.

I?m in favor, big time, of keeping him. I think his offensive skill is rare and he?s a piece they should build around.

But if someone wants to blow them away, you listen

Bingo.

They should also see what the market is for Trouba before his NMC kicks in. It can't hurt.

Bingo.

They should also see what the market is for Trouba before his NMC kicks in. It can't hurt.

That’d be a total dick move. I don’t see it happening.

Besides, they need a guy that plays like that. They’d struggle to find a Trouba replacement when they are contending in 2 seasons.