• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Eastern Conference Standings If 3-2-1-0 Points Format

Blue Heaven

Slow at work so I decided to see what the standings would be if they were going by 3-2-1-0 format.

( ) = current points

Boston 87 (63)

Washington 80 (65)

Tampa Bay 76 (56)

Pittsburgh 72 (57)

Toronto 71 (54)

NYI 68 (57)

Carolina 66 (52)

Columbus 65 (50)

-----------------------

NYR 64 (46)

Florida 63 (51)

Philadelphia 60 (52)

Buffalo 57 (45)

Montreal 52 (43)

Rangers would be on the cusp of a playoff spot, only 4 points behind the Islanders.

When I get a slow day, I'm going to figure out what everyone's record is in regulation. It is a far better barometer of the relative strength of teams going into the playoffs, as 3 on 3 and shootout points do not reflect on anything that will do you much good in the playoffs.

However you slice it, the Islanders superior performance in 3 on 3 OT and shootout is inflating their numbers, and I think prudent observers all realize that. They are an absurd 17-12-13 in 42 games in regulation. Doesn't look like a fearsome playoff opponent to me.

What is it with no loser points?

3-2-1-0 makes me vomit. I might actually stop watching if they switched to it. That’s how much I hate it

Why do you hate it that much? You dont think it drives teams to win in regulation instead of playing for OT or a shootout? I never really thought about it before but now that I am...seems to kind of make sense.