• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why All the Buchnevich Hate?

We are past the midway point of year four with this guy, so it's sort of what you see is what you get, no? His scoring totals are really bad for someone playing the kind of minutes he has played with the kind of players with whom he has played. That said, he is currently in what isn't necessarily a permanent funk due to bad puck luck and a lack of confidence and no doubt tensing up when presented with scoring chances. I can see him turning around and getting relatively hot, but it doesn't change who he is, which is not quite good enough often enough to be playing top minutes and PP with a team that wants to be a contender. Leave him be and attend to issues as to whether we want to keep him after the season is over.

dude really needs to work on his demeanor. besides making himself an easy target, I can’t imagine anyone being a less inspiring teammate. the goals will come with how he’s working but damn, put on the face for the luck you want not the luck you have.

He's kinda never taken off. He still looks like a rookie out there. After all that hype about him, he's been pretty disappointing. I don't hate him, I just don't see enough improvement for me to keep my hopes up or stay excited about him. Like someone else said. He's kinda just there...

He was a 3rd round draft pick. There was no hype. He was just our only prospect that had a chance to make the NHL.

Confidence issues aside...Buch just hasn't shown a consistent skill or "wow" ability for me to say he's a keeper. Agree with other posters that he has been given prime minutes with skilled dudes and he has not lit the lamp all that often. 40-50 points is nothing to sneeze at, but nope, I'm ok with him being part of a package and let's move on.

Next.

Here. Not outside of here though. I don't recall Buch topping any prospect lists at any point.
Some people only get their info from here.

Which is why whenever there's an inflated comparable here I cringe and call it out. Over the years, the things I've read on this board:

Erixon would immediately be our best defenseman with the hardest shot on the team

The only other player in the NHL with Kreider's speed and size is Ovechkin

Anisimov could be Datsyuk lite

Buch is first round talent

Sean Day is good

##

Hyperbole at its finest.

Which is why whenever there's an inflated comparable here I cringe and call it out. Over the years, the things I've read on this board:

Erixon would immediately be our best defenseman with the hardest shot on the team

Sean Day is good

##

Hyperbole at its finest.

Well I'd like to point out the hype for our AHL allstar Ryan Graves was on point. Where's Bigras now?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sean Day is good

##

Hyperbole at its finest.

You forgot Hammer of Kotes

He's kinda never taken off. He still looks like a rookie out there. After all that hype about him, he's been pretty disappointing. I don't hate him, I just don't see enough improvement for me to keep my hopes up or stay excited about him. Like someone else said. He's kinda just there...

This. To me I think it is all about the reality and the perception.

Perception: Buchnevich is over-hyped and his scoring totals are bad for someone playing the types of minutes that he has.

Reality: He is a third round pick that almost every team passed on twice. His production improved in the KHL after his draft year and buzz started that the Rangers may have found a diamond in the rough here. Perhaps he definitely got some attention as a legitimate prospect since the Rangers did not have a 1st rounder in 2013, 2014, 2015, & 2016; but definitely not over-hyped. Lias Andersson was over-hyped.

His production for someone getting top 6 minutes is right around where it should be; this season he is on pace to finish with 46-48 points.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000482020.html

I excluded the last 2 years teams where 46 points would have put him 2nd & 3rd in team scoring respectively as they were transitional non-playoff teams. If you look at the playoff teams from 2013-14 though 2016-17, you will see where his projected 46-48 points puts him production wise, on teams that was a legitimate Stanley Cup contender; anywhere from 4th to 6th in team scoring among forwards.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000482017.html

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000482016.html

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000482015.html

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000482014.html

Would I love Buchnevich to really breakout into a legitimate 60-70 point scoring threat with that talent he teases us with? Absolutely! He just may; he has managed to stay out of the "Quinn bin" by and large this season and maybe entering his prime his confidence develops to take him to that next level. Lot's of forwards don't really hit their stride until 26.

Then again; if this is his ceiling, I am totally fine with it assuming he can be locked into a cost controlled contract.

I don't think it's hate so much as it is amusing frustration.

The pieces of an excellent hockey player are there; he just goes through stretches where you wonder why he wouldn't shoot, or how he misses that pass, or how he hasn't got like...double his points. Add that to wearing his emotions on his sleeve and you've got a recipe for a meme-worthy comedy of errors.