• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why Was Howden on the First PP Unit?

Albatrosss

was on the first PP unit last night. Can someone explain to me why?

I think Strome was benched for his play on the SH goal against. He didnt really skate, half-assed an attempt to knock the puck away, and stood and watched.

he didn't?

Not from where I was sitting...

Rotated nicely

stayed in his rotational spot

moved the puck quickly and accurately

went to the net and was in front of ADA's goal as that one PP just elapsed

as I said...he didn't look out of place. He sure as hell was a better screen than a particular Free agent we currently have.

He got 90 seconds of PP time in 1 game because Strome got benched and he didn?t take PP time away from anyone else.

He?s averaged 21 seconds of PP time per game this season, coming from a handful of games where he?s seen some time.

It?s a 1 game anomaly vs one of the league?s worst teams.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when Quinn had him on 6 on 5 down a goal in the final minutes in a game last March. He sizeable and potentially could be a good screener and garbage collector on the PP, but I wouldn't use him on the PP too often. Here and there won't hurt. Kreider is the only guy who really can play that role on this team and he can't play the whole PP.

He does have the potential to be a late bloomer (what did Adam Graves look like after 100 NHL games?) but it is getting to the point where I really expect to see more flashes of the big potential future.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when Quinn had him on 6 on 5 down a goal in the final minutes in a game last March. He sizeable and potentially could be a good screener and garbage collector on the PP, but I wouldn't use him on the PP too often. Here and there won't hurt. Kreider is the only guy who really can play that role on this team and he can't play the whole PP.

He does have the potential to be a late bloomer (what did Adam Graves look like after 100 NHL games?) but it is getting to the point where I really expect to see more flashes of the big potential future.

I don't think it's big. A high-end ceiling for Howden is like...Sami Pahlsson with some bite. There's literally nothing wrong with that out of a high 20s 1st round pick.

I’m certainly not saying he’s “bloomed”

It is early

He’s still developing as a player and while I don’t think he has a high ceiling, he can still improve.

Right.

What I meant is, when you say "Hard to say he’s a late bloomer at 21 and 100 games into his career", he's still very young. It read to me like you might be saying 21 is old haha.

Right.

What I meant is, when you say "Hard to say he’s a late bloomer at 21 and 100 games into his career", he's still very young. It read to me like you might be saying 21 is old haha.

Oh

Ok

I understand now

No. 21 and 100 games in qualifies as early to me in every way