• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

Paraphrased from the January 9 edition of 31 Thoughts the podcast:

Marek: "Man, would Chris Kreider look good on this Bruins team?"

Friedman: "My opinion is changing almost on the day on Kreider. I've had guys tell me that they think the Rangers are starting to think more and more about do they keep him?"

Marek: "Re-sign him?"

Friedman: "This'll all play out over the next six weeks but [if] you get rid of him [he's] hard to replace."

Marek: "Big strong guys that can move his feet? Yeah!"

Friedman: "You need those guys. I could see it."

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think this team is capable of making the playoffs then you have to keep him.

keeping the cupboard stocked is great and all, but if you think you have your young players that will make up your core already, trading a guy who can help you achieve now doesn't make a ton of sense.

i think the young players are better served long term even making a run at a playoff spot, even if it doesn't pan out that way. If you can sign him to an extension on a fair deal/term, do it. But I think that, even if it's not looking that way, but you think you can make a run at a post-season spot, you keep him anyway

All about term.

5 years, cool. 8? No.

Agreed, 5 or 6 years...

As much as Kreider is a bonehead and very streaky, he is also a vet who is a leader in the locker room and IMO I think long term they would miss that leadership from him. Rangers cant think about being a contender and icing a team of all early 20 something year olds and Mika/Panarin. Plus the speed, he'll eventually lose a step, but his lost step will still be faster than 90% of the league. I keep on flip-flopping on him, and now im on the side of keeping him.

All about term.

5 years, cool. 8? No.

Agreed, 5 or 6 years...

As much as Kreider is a bonehead and very streaky, he is also a vet who is a leader in the locker room and IMO I think long term they would miss that leadership from him. Rangers cant think about being a contender and icing a team of all early 20 something year olds and Mika/Panarin. Plus the speed, he'll eventually lose a step, but his lost step will still be faster than 90% of the league. I keep on flip-flopping on him, and now im on the side of keeping him.

Now Kreider is a " bonehead "? Got it. All teams would love to have a guy of this caliber.

:rolleyes:

Did I say he doesnt have skills? The dude has been in the league for how long, and will go weeks with being invisible, wont take the body, and have to question what is going on between the ears. Then he'll go weeks (like he is now) being one of the best players on the ice with his speed/strength.

Now Kreider is a " bonehead "? Got it. All teams would love to have a guy of this caliber.

:rolleyes:

Did I say he doesnt have skills? The dude has been in the league for how long, and will go weeks with being invisible, wont take the body, and have to question what is going on between the ears. Then he'll go weeks (like he is now) being one of the best players on the ice with his speed/strength.

All about term.

5 years, cool. 8? No.

They should be pitching him an Eberle-like deal. Team is going this direction, we want you, but we can't give you market max. If you want max term and dollars, go to market. Someone will give it to you. If you want to be part of the winning solution here, 5x5 (give or take on AAV).

No way!

I don't care if he's free. This is all a mirage. This guy has had his whole career to show us what he's made of...and he certainly has.

Trade him and get back something else; something that gives 100%...

Agree with not keeping him. If he’s seriously willing to take a big discount, they should certainly consider it, but I still that the money is better spent on other players.

Probably better to just find a good deal and move on

Also, I think it would be foolish on Kreider’s behalf to take a discount and not go to market this summer. He’d be leaving so much on the table.

I'd be thrilled if they kept him. As early as next season they would be a playoff team. Zib Kreider, Strome Panarin. Those are two great lines. Plug Kappo in on one of them next year and we're golden. This team can score goals. The issue is defense and team defense. I believe that can be course corrected. Losing Kreider would be a step back.

We have a ton of picks and prospects. You'd hate to swap a proven player at a time when we're building upwards.

He's almost 29 and I think we've seen everything he's gonna be. It's all down hill from here for CK. Speed is a perishable skill, and he's not going to get any faster than he is right now. If you take away Kreider's speed, what do you have left?

That's my point with him.

He's almost 29 and I think we've seen everything he's gonna be. It's all down hill from here for CK. Speed is a perishable skill, and he's not going to get any faster than he is right now. If you take away Kreider's speed, what do you have left?

That's my point with him.

Kreider keeps in better shape than anyone on the team, maybe the league. Yes, he will eventually slow down but I'd argue there's more to his game than just that. Strong on the puck. Strong in front of the net. He goes to the dirty areas without pause. Rangers would struggle without him

Kreider keeps in better shape than anyone on the team, maybe the league. Yes, he will eventually slow down but I'd argue there's more to his game than just that. Strong on the puck. Strong in front of the net. He goes to the dirty areas without pause. Rangers would struggle without him

I do agree that he’s hard to replace in a way

But paying him big money for several seasons as a diminished player when he gets into his mid-30’s is a very likely occurrence.

I don’t think they can risk that.