• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

^This.

Lets be real boys and girls, we are NOT a contender for anything at the moment and the best course of action is to continue the rebuild. Shed salary. Allow the big contracts to expire (buyouts have consequences) and set ourselves up to have $$$ ready, willing and able to be deployed when we are going to whip that horse and go for it. In about 2 years.

:+1:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "great" with Kreider comes into play in the postseason. At least on value proposition.

His physical size and tools + his experience and production make him an ideal rental. He's a 0.6 P/GP player in the regular season and 0.5 P/GP in the postseason. He also has 70+ games of playoffs experience. You simply can't buy that kind of "been there" unless they've actually been there.

The "great" with Kreider comes into play in the postseason. At least on value proposition.

His physical size and tools + his experience and production make him an ideal rental. He's a 0.6 P/GP player in the regular season and 0.5 P/GP in the postseason. He also has 70+ games of playoffs experience. You simply can't buy that kind of "been there" unless they've actually been there.

I agree with you that he brings additional value due to things you can’t always or easily measure statistically. Teams should have interest and he can help a contender in part due to those things.

But... what he actually produces in terms of real and tangible numbers is still the most important thing.

Saying that these other elements make him great, while simultaneously pointing out that he’s less productive in the playoffs doesnt really cement that case.

He’s not a great player

He’s a good player who is great when he’s on his annual hot streak

Conversely, when he’s not on that hot streak, he’s actually about a league average player.

And while I won’t lessen his experience and that as an important and valuable factor, he’s never been a huge factor in the postseason. Actual numbers support that.

I'd like their #1 for 2020...anything after that is gravy. =)

Sorry Ozzy, this is madness. I'm not ok with being in a perpetual rebuild. You're telling me that you would rather the 31st pick in this draft than a guy like Kreider? That pick might not be close to reaching his potential until after a Kreider extension is done! 5 year deal would be great. Fuck the #1 pick. If they are trading him it better be focused around a prospect that is a hell of a lot closer to the NHL than a late 2020 1st.

• Like 1

^This.

Lets be real boys and girls, we are NOT a contender for anything at the moment and the best course of action is to continue the rebuild. Shed salary. Allow the big contracts to expire (buyouts have consequences) and set ourselves up to have $$$ ready, willing and able to be deployed when we are going to whip that horse and go for it. In about 2 years.

In about 2 years you don't think Kreider helps this team more than what they're getting for him?

In about 2 years you don't think Kreider helps this team more than what they're getting for him?

If you’re making it and viewing it squarely as being about Kreider... then...

It’s not about the guy(s) who they acquire for him.

It’s about the guy who replaces him.

That guy isn’t likely in the room yet. Nor does he necessarily need to be.

Continually acquiring new, young assets when you’re not a playoff team in exchange for guys on expiring contracts that for whatever reason aren’t coming back, is a good practice.

Those young assets can later be flipped for the player(s) you need and want.

And what about in 4 years when they’re presumably in the middle of the window and Kreider is slowing down and not producing as well and they can’t move him or add players and payroll cause they’re paying him.

Sorry Ozzy, this is madness. I'm not ok with being in a perpetual rebuild. You're telling me that you would rather the 31st pick in this draft than a guy like Kreider? That pick might not be close to reaching his potential until after a Kreider extension is done! 5 year deal would be great. Fuck the #1 pick. If they are trading him it better be focused around a prospect that is a hell of a lot closer to the NHL than a late 2020 1st.

I will go on record that I do not believe we will make the pick if we acquire one for Kreider. It's the 1st+D prospect for NHL-ready F prospect/young forward deal. It's the idea that we might be at a point where we look at our '21 1st and go "yeah, you know what....we just don't need that" and we decide to do some batshit thing like offer sheet Barzal or Dubois.

It's not perpetual rebuilding. It's that assets with no contracts are worth way more than assets with contracts at this time of year.

I will go on record that I do not believe we will make the pick if we acquire one for Kreider. It's the 1st+D prospect for NHL-ready F prospect/young forward deal. It's the idea that we might be at a point where we look at our '21 1st and go "yeah, you know what....we just don't need that" and we decide to do some batshit thing like offer sheet Barzal or Dubois.

It's not perpetual rebuilding. It's that assets with no contracts are worth way more than assets with contracts at this time of year.

Exactly.

Like how they turned an extra first into a package for Trouba

Or extra 2’s into a package for Adam Fox.

“Future” type assets get you the players you want that help now when you’re ready to go get them and are in need of them.

Do we have a Cup in 3 or 4 years? I think Kreider is still valuable in 5 years...but I'm sure I'm in the minority. It's year 6 ever and 7 that concern me.

It’s a slippery slope somewhat. Any deal they make with him, he’s the best player in it and he’s going the other way and his next few seasons, he’s probably producing well.

You never like to do that.

But if you’re betting on Kreider being what he is or close to what is now in 3-4 seasons, you’re betting against the trend for players who play like he does.

Don’t know that they have a Cup in 3-4 years. That’s never a certainty.

But their design is to be competing heavily for one.

Do we have a Cup in 3 or 4 years? I think Kreider is still valuable in 5 years...but I'm sure I'm in the minority. It's year 6 and 7 that concern me.

Oh I’m probably the biggest Kreider fan, but they have around 10m to spend on the free agents, and you can’t spend more than 4m on non 1st players. Signing him creates a lot more questions

What space, he's going to get like 1.75.

He's good on the 4th and anything else is pushing it.

I have him pegged at 2.8.

Love the energy, but every time I watch him... he’s not good. Team has too many of these bottom 6 players to be successful

Lemiuex is overrated and will get a big return?

That?s a new one. He?s not taking up any cap space. You trying to clear 900k?

Yeah, doesnt really make sense. The ?big return? is a 2nd rounder at best aswell, we dont really more of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I rarely curse. However some of the remarks about #20 are downright stupid... and that is putting it mildly. Holy SHIT!!! Are some of you people actually Ranger fans or what? Do you read what you post or just continue to prattle on and on with no end in sight? Do you actually pay attention to the games or are you looking four some beautiful babe in the stands? Can't believe the drivel pertaining to C.K. that abounds here. Sheesh! T.G. you negative moaners and groaners.