• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they don't keep him they should have traded him last year.

Now you'll get the 25th pick and a lottery ticket.

Whoop de do.

Probably more like Hayes for Lemieux and a 1st. So, the 25th and a roster player. Still whoop de do. Just a little less so. They lose by default because they're giving up the best player in the deal.

If they don't keep him they should have traded him last year.

Now you'll get the 25th pick and a lottery ticket.

Whoop de do.

That I’ll agree with

It was preferable to move him with a full year on his deal

But the cap prohibited it

To be fair, the deal they had with Colorado was for a mid-1st

Not a huge difference there either.

He can be replaced.

Guys become available

Paying him till 35 or 36 is insane

Insane is a little strong. I don't think it's all that bad. The last year or two he may, hypothetically, still be a 40 point scorer and a big body in front. I completely get why people would still want to re-sign him.

I'm still on the fence. Some days I'm on board with trading him. Other days I'm not. As TMFN mentioned, Skjei/Buchnevich would be far less missed and could be dealt to make room.

He can be replaced.

Guys become available

Paying him till 35 or 36 is insane

No, he can't. "Guys become available," is a great cop out that lets you say something without proving it.

Replace him next year. I'm all ears.

• Like 1

Insane is a little strong. I don't think it's all that bad. The last year or two he may, hypothetically, still be a 40 point scorer and a big body in front. I completely get why people would still want to re-sign him.

I'm still on the fence. Some days I'm on board with trading him. Other days I'm not. As TMFN mentioned, Skjei/Buchnevich would be far less missed and could be dealt to make room.

I don't think I'd miss Buch at all. They probably have him in Kravtsov for like a tenth of the cost.

No, he can't. "Guys become available," is a great cop out that lets you say something without proving it.

Replace him next year. I'm all ears.

They don’t need to replace him immediately. They’re not winning a cup next year either.

And guys do become available. It happens regularly.

Do you honestly believe they should keep him and pay him roughly $7million per till he’s 34-36?

He wants to take less, I’m all about it.

Look, I like the guy.

But extensions like that have killed them .

This could be in that same vein

They don?t need to replace him immediately. They?re not winning a cup next year either.

Do you honestly believe they should keep him and pay him roughly $7million per till he?s 34-36?

He wants to take less, I?m all about it.

Look, I like the guy.

The extensions like that that have killed them were girardi and StaAl. Kreider is a power forward who scores from the front of the crease. Not a shot blocking dman with no skills.

I would gladly pay Kreider until he?s 34. I think he?ll keep himself in shape. I think he?s a good leader. I think he?ll be useful for the remainder of that contract.

• Like 1

They don’t need to replace him immediately. They’re not winning a cup next year either.

Do you honestly believe they should keep him and pay him roughly $7million per till he’s 34-36?

He wants to take less, I’m all about it.

Look, I like the guy.

Sure, "guys" do. Not ones like Kreider.

What are you gonna do, sign a 33-year-old Wayne Simmonds and hope/pray?

Sure, "guys" do. Not ones like Kreider.

What are you gonna do, sign a 33-year-old Wayne Simmonds and hope/pray?

No

I’m not suggesting that

I get where you’re coming from. He has a skill set not all too common given his frame.

But that skill set and “what he does for you on the ice” still only produces about 25 and 50.

Good numbers and contributions. I’m not arguing that

But hardly irreplaceable.

And it doesn’t have to come in the way of 1 player either. Once again, doesn’t have to be replaced immediately.

My point is we aren’t replacing early-90’s Brett Hull.

This isn’t a guy that teams have to specifically game plan on a nightly basis to stop.

He’s a nice complimentary piece. And I like him. Just not at what he’ll likely get paid without leaving money on the table

Don’t know how he’s become so revered as irreplaceable and essential

And you never answered my question

Kreider is most definitely replaceable. 29 goals are def replaceable. Just because he scored a game winner, doesnt mean we should break the bank on him. Rangers have lots of young prospects that they can package up for player who can get 25-29 goals. By the time the Rangers are ready to compete, Kreider will be ancient

Kreider is most definitely replaceable. 29 goals are def replaceable. Just because he scored a game winner, doesnt mean we should break the bank on him. Rangers have lots of young prospects that they can package up for player who can get 25-29 goals. By the time the Rangers are ready to compete, Kreider will be ancient

Exactly

And how much do they want to commit to the wing in terms of money? Other forwards too

Have to keep an eye to the future too

This is ignorant. No offense.

You know how many players scored more than 29 goals last year? 39. You know how many play in the NHL? 620.

That's 1.2 players per team that score 29 goals. If you think that's easily replaceable I don't know what to tell you.

Lol, hyperbole at it's finest. The discussion about keeping him has been going on long before tonight's game winner, so it's not like it's a new idea to keep him just because he scored a big goal.

I'm not sure what you think the price is for a 25-29 goalscorer with a reasonable cap hit, but it's probably a pick/prospect price you won't want to pay. Look at what the rumored price is for a 2 month rental in Kreider, then at least double it for a player on a 5M contract per year in his 20s. You won't want to do it, so the more realistic alternative is you hope you have someone internally that can grow into that role and become that guy. That is also a reasonable way to go about this situation, but let's not act like we can just trade for a young, long term player that replaces Kreider at a moment's notice (not including trade deadline rental). It's a bit pie in the sky.

You have to admit though, the more they win the less likely it becomes.

True. But only paving for about 87 points. Probably take 93 or so to get in.

Still on pace to be on the outside looking in.

Still about bottom third of league, still have been on losing side of ledger as much as winning side.

Still 6 points out of playoff spot with several teams in front of them.

Next 6 weeks will be very interesting

It's not about how many he scores, it's about where he scores them from. Sure other guys can come in and score the same number of goals, but there are few guys in the league as good at producing around the net. He makes other guy better so many times just by being there. I can't even count how many goals others guys have gotten because of where he was in front of the net. He gets nothing on the stat sheet for those, but other guys do. That's a huge part of his value and I'm sure the Rangers see that and I'm about 75% sure they'll end up keeping him. If you do need stats then you can look at the the stat from the broadcast the other night, leads the NHL in deflection goals over the last three years. The best in the league in front of the net. Period. Pay the man.

Kreider is hot and team is playing better than expected. Making long term decisions based on short term results is dangerous. Best case I see with Kreider is if the team contends for a playoff spot it might be worth keeping him around through the end of the year for the experience. I don’t see 7/$50m something that will fit. There are also medical concerns.

I feel the same about Kreider as I mentioned in the Kakko to AHL thread. A yoyo. Do I wanna see him re-sign for 7x7? Fuck no, GOODBYE! However, if he took a hometown discount contract like a 5x5, welllllllll, I might be able to stomach that. I try not to let my fandom get in the way of reality but sometimes it is kind of hard to do. He sure is lighting it up at the right time though...depending how you look at it.