• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

I'd give Buchnevich another season. He doesn't cost us shit, and he's a talented winger...just a big baby, that's all. I've seen enough disappearing acts from CK1. When this team hits it's stride in 2 years Kreider will be that ANCHOR we need to unload, and we'll never get rid of him.

He'll be a buyout candidate in 3 seasons...calling it now!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CK offers too much that they don't have. Buch offers some talent but he's more replaceable than CK for this team. I think Kravstov can slide into Buch's role almost as effectively as Buch next season. No one in the system can do that for Kreider's spot.

While all of this is accurate, there's still a price to that you can't eclipse, as well as a term you shouldn't either. It's never been about "should they keep Kreider," but "at what cost?" In a vacuum, it's a no-brainer. Emphatically, yes. But in reality, I need to know the cost and the term. Neither of which, I'd assume, is going to be palatable.

Panarin, Zibanejad, Kakko, Kravtsov, Strome, Chytil

we're talking about what our, hopefully, 7th best forward will be getting paid in 2023.

What's that called, again... oh, Danger Zone

I prefer "High Risk" ;)

I don’t buy that they are seriously considering keeping him.

I don't either, 7.

Josh makes a valid point too. Our next or replacement forward(s) should bring to the table something that mesh with the top 6: 2 way play ability, toughness, grit, and most importantly the ability to give 100% on a nightly basis!

I don't either, 7.

Josh makes a valid point too. Our next or replacement forward(s) should bring to the table something that mesh with the top 6: 2 way play ability, toughness, grit, and most importantly the ability to give 100% on a nightly basis!

There’s no denying there are virtues to his game.

He just doesn’t do it consistently

He’s great for 20 games.

He’s invisible for 25 games

He’s above average to good to 35 games.

And this net front presence shit is overplayed

If he were so good at that, he’d score more goals

Especially on the PP.

Has 43 career PP goals

Never more than 7 in a season

He’s not Dave Andreychuk

Middle of the road shot

Hands are good, not great

Elite speed, but not elite skater

He’s a good NHL top-6 winger. Maybe elsewhere with a different mix of linemates or system, he’s a very good one. But it hasn’t happened here

And 6 or more years, at 7 million per is too much at 29. Period

Can’t commit 40-50 million to him over 6+ seasons at that age

He wants to take 30-35 over 5, that warrants a conversation.

But his agent shouldn’t let him do that.

They can find another winger to give them 25 and 50

They can find a net front guy for the PP

• Like 1

There’s no denying there are virtues to his game.

He just doesn’t do it consistently

He’s great for 20 games.

He’s invisible for 25 games

He’s above average to good to 35 games.

And this net front presence shit is overplayed

If he were so good at that, he’d score more goals

Especially on the PP.

Has 43 career PP goals

Never more than 7 in a season

He’s not Dave Andreychuk

Middle of the road shot

Hands are good, not great

Elite speed, but not elite skater

He’s a good NHL top-6 winger. Maybe elsewhere with a different mix of linemates or system, he’s a very good one. But it hasn’t happened here

And 6 or more years, at 7 million per is too much at 29. Period

Can’t commit 40-50 million to him over 6+ seasons at that age

He wants to take 30-35 over 5, that warrants a conversation.

But his agent shouldn’t let him do that.

Pretty accurate scouting report, my man!!

I think someone up here and I forget who, said something that rang the bell with me. "He skates fast but plays slow"...forget who...but it was true as can be.

Pretty accurate scouting report, my man!!

I think someone up here and I forget who, said something that rang the bell with me. "He skates fast but plays slow"...forget who...but it was true as can be.

Thanks, but it’s not a hot take.

You’re right he plays slow. Doesn’t have the puck handling ability and vision to play fast. If he did, he’d be a center.

Look, I like CK. I’m not trying to shit down his throat.

If he were younger, or willing to take less in money and term, I’m fine with exploring them keeping him around.

He is more or less what today’s NHL would label a power forward.

Power forwards don’t age well. They get to 32 or so, and the decline is usually precipitous. Even with his speed, it’s a big risk. He still plays a physical, north/south, body banging style. Still has to make his living in front of the net.

That takes a toll

i totally get the speed thing with CK being 28 but hell if he doesn't keep himself in dynamite shape.

that being said, as much as i like him, believe the best thing is to sell him at the deadline. If I'm in his shoes I'm definitely exploring FA at the end of the year.

Per the other thread, believe the Rangers should be looking at Salary retention if it gets them a ready now player in return rather than a draft pick.

i totally get the speed thing with CK being 28 but hell if he doesn't keep himself in dynamite shape.

that being said, as much as i like him, believe the best thing is to sell him at the deadline. If I'm in his shoes I'm definitely exploring FA at the end of the year.

Per the other thread, believe the Rangers should be looking at Salary retention if it gets them a ready now player in return rather than a draft pick.

His fitness and nutrition are a plus to be sure

But Father Time catches up to everyone and the legs generally go first.

Here's the deal with me with Kreider. I don't hate him by any stretch. The guy's a good player...not great...good.

The fact is that this franchise is at least 2 more seasons away from being a serious contender for anything. And that's if all goes well on the health front, and young player improvement process.

Kreider is going to command probably more than 6 million/year and about 5 to 7 years, I'm expecting, anyway. That's a lot of cabbage to pay a player when he's slotted to be your 7th forward on a team of high flying kids. Kreider will be approaching 32 or 33 by then and how much could he possibly have in the tank by then? He's invisible most of the season now! What's he gonna look like in 3 years? :rofl:

I say sell high with Kreider too, and get back some valuable assets we can really put to use going forward. It's a business decision, and probably one that makes a lot more sense than re-signing him. Well, to me it does.

• Like 1

Here's the deal with me with Kreider. I don't hate him by any stretch. The guy's a good player...not great...good.

The fact is that this franchise is at least 2 more seasons away from being a serious contender for anything. And that's if all goes well on the health front, and young player improvement process.

Kreider is going to command probably more than 6 million/year and about 5 to 7 years, I'm expecting, anyway. That's a lot of cabbage to pay a player when he's slotted to be your 7th forward on a team of high flying kids. Kreider will be approaching 32 or 33 by then and how much could he possibly have in the tank by then? He's invisible most of the season now! What's he gonna look like in 3 years? :rofl:

I say sell high with Kreider too, and get back some valuable assets we can really put to use going forward. It's a business decision, and probably one that makes a lot more sense than re-signing him. Well, to me it does.

That is 1000% what it is for me too.

I like him too

Just not at the suspected price and term

I don't know how you let him go. He fills a huge role on this team as net front presence that nobody else will be able to fill. Other guys could go and be replaced by players who are similar. Like I love Buch, but I'd rather lose him than Kreider because there are plenty of guys that can come in and do what Buch does. Who's taking over for Kreider? If we want to contend in the next few years then we need a guy that does exactly what he does and if we let it walk out the door now then I feel like we're going to be killing our selves trying to find it again and we probably won't.

Just pay him and move Skjei or Buch or Fast or somebody else to make room. Yeah the contract won't be great in 5 or 6 years, but we want to contend in the next 2 or 3 or 4. We'll figure it out. We have Staal's contract now and we're still making it work and he was a big part of the years we did contend. It's worth it.

Keep.

I don't know how you let him go. He fills a huge role on this team as net front presence that nobody else will be able to fill. Other guys could go and be replaced by players who are similar. Like I love Buch, but I'd rather lose him than Kreider because there are plenty of guys that can come in and do what Buch does. Who's taking over for Kreider? If we want to contend in the next few years then we need a guy that does exactly what he does and if we let it walk out the door now then I feel like we're going to be killing our selves trying to find it again and we probably won't.

Just pay him and move Skjei or Buch or Fast or somebody else to make room. Yeah the contract won't be great in 5 or 6 years, but we want to contend in the next 2 or 3 or 4. We'll figure it out. We have Staal's contract now and we're still making it work and he was a big part of the years we did contend. It's worth it.

Yeah

But they aren’t going to.

You love the guy now at 4 million and change

How much are you gonna love him at 7?