• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

You love Kreider at $4 million

How does he look at $7 million

And how will he be in 3-4 seasons when he’s very likely on the decline and has 3-4 years left on his deal?

That’s the concern. It’s a real one.

It’s the money bro.

Everyone here likes Kreider.

But the contract he’s shopping for may price him out.

As for their place in the standings, well, the numbers say they’re going to be about .500 or slightly above.

Pace now is high-80’s points.

It’s looking like the low seeded playoff teams in the East will have mid-to-high 90’s, so they are still a ways off

Next 6 will are big

Who is talking about 6-8 yrs. from now? Surely not anyone that's a realist. He's not getting a 6-8 yr. deal, imo. You and others make unfounded assumptions that are meaningless. Talk about speculation. And, as I've said many times, I don't give a rat about how much any player makes. Many are overpaid, many are underpaid. All I'm interested in is how this team progresses and hopefully vies for a possible run at the S.C. Dumping players for who knows what is ridiculous.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is talking about 6-8 yrs. from now? Surely not anyone that's a realist. He's not getting a 6-8 yr. deal, imo. You and others make unfounded assumptions that are meaningless. Talk about speculation. And, as I've said many times, I don't give a rat about how much any player makes. Many are overpaid, many are underpaid. All I'm interested in is how this team progresses and hopefully vies for a possible run at the S.C. Dumping players for who knows what is ridiculous.

Well if we’re talking about realistic, you’re clearly failing to do so if you’re not caring what guys make. It’s a capped sport. There’s a finite amount of money you can pay a guy.

It makes a great deal of difference when guys are paid a fair amount and what they’re actually worth in terms of production and value versus when guys are overpaid and not producing up to their salary, soaking up cap space and a roster spot.

That’s especially important when you’re a contender, cause it prevents making additions cause they can’t be afforded.

Secondly, if you don’t think Kreider is shooting for the longest, most expensive deal he can get, well then you haven’t been paying attention.

It’s not speculation

It’s based on recent deals for reasonably comparable players. Guarantee his agent uses that when he negotiates his next contract, cause that’s what they do.

I never said 6-8 years from now.

Read it again

In 3-4 years, he’s likely to be in decline. If he signs a 7 year deal, that puts him in decline with 3-4 years remaining at that point. Kreider is getting at least 5 seasons. And that’s the low end

And that comes at a time when they hopefully are contending, possibly needing to add players, and also having to start paying these young guys who are the new core.

That’s reality

They will never become a contender if they keep on trading quality players who are due for new contracts. They will have a rotating group of prospects. Not signing these guys is ok for year one and two of a rebuild, but it's got to change by year 3.

They will never become a contender if they keep on trading quality players who are due for new contracts. They will have a rotating group of prospects. Not signing these guys is ok for year one and two of a rebuild, but it's got to change by year 3.

But also can’t keep everyone

Well if we’re talking about realistic, you’re clearly failing to do so if you’re not caring what guys make. It’s a capped sport. There’s a finite amount of money you can pay a guy.

It makes a great deal of difference when guys are paid a fair amount and what they’re actually worth in terms of production and value versus when guys are overpaid and not producing up to their salary, soaking up cap space and a roster spot.

That’s especially important when you’re a contender, cause it prevents making additions cause they can’t be afforded.

Secondly, if you don’t think Kreider is shooting for the longest, most expensive deal he can get, well then you haven’t been paying attention.

It’s not speculation

It’s based on recent deals for reasonably comparable players. Guarantee his agent uses that when he negotiates his next contract, cause that’s what they do.

I never said 6-8 years from now.

Read it again

In 3-4 years, he’s likely to be in decline. If he signs a 7 year deal, that puts him in decline with 3-4 years remaining at that point. Kreider is getting at least 5 seasons. And that’s the low end

And that comes at a time when they hopefully are contending, possibly needing to add players, and also having to start paying these young guys who are the new core.

That’s reality

Why do you bother lol.

Dude, I get it.

I KNOW HOW MUCH EVERYONE LOVES CK20!

I LIKE HIM TOO!

Love his speed. Size. Net front presence. Leadership. Experience.

But end of the day, that still equates to what he does in terms of production.

Real numbers are what they are. We all know them. It’s a capped sport. You can’t keep everyone. Guys price themselves off of rosters regularly.

If they can’t find a palatable deal, he’s got to go.

He might not be easily replaced, and I’m not saying he’s expendable or has no value, but his production can be replaced.

And them becoming a contender is linked way more to other guys than it is to Kreider being kept around.

Why do you bother lol.

Lol

Yeah, I don’t know

Glutton for punishment I guess.

I don’t hate the guy.

Love what he does.

Just can’t see him staying cause of what he’d lose out on if he did.

So they kind of have to.

That was part of the reason they traded McDonagh too. That was coming.

And he was way more important than Kreider is.

I know it’s different cause we’re on the rise vs the decline. But it’s not as if McD wouldn’t have been around and still in his prime

And Panarin, Trouba, Zibanejad, Buchnevich...

It's a matter of more than "quality player due new deal" - Kreider's age, playstyle, and the fact that any money we give him is money we can't give, say, ADA/Strome/Chytil are all contributing factors.

• Like 1

Dude, I get it.

It’s a capped sport. You can’t keep everyone. Guys price themselves off of rosters regularly.

Fair enough. In terms of not keeping everyone, I would dispatch Skjei, Buch and perhaps Strome. I would keep Kreider. Strome, especially playing with a superstar, has been a nice player, but I think Kreider brings more to the table. I completely understand Kreider's downside (dry spells and inability to capitalize on his speed with more goals off the rush) but I'd keep him over Strome, even if the latter is a little younger and cheaper.

Fair enough. In terms of not keeping everyone, I would dispatch Skjei, Buch and perhaps Strome. I would keep Kreider. Strome, especially playing with a superstar, has been a nice player, but I think Kreider brings more to the table. I completely understand Kreider's downside (dry spells and inability to capitalize on his speed with more goals off the rush) but I'd keep him over Strome, even if the latter is a little younger and cheaper.

They may not be able to keep Strome anyway.

I’d like them to keep him around because he’s still just 26, while due for a raise its potentially an affordable one and cheaper than Kreider, and his chemistry with Panarin is undeniable. Plus he plays C.

But it’s highly possible they keep him just on a 1-year deal with his arb award, and Chytil moves up a line after next season.

Lots of moving parts.

Lots of options

Lots of young guys in the fold moving through the system too

And you never know who might be coming in at the deadline and how that may reshuffle the deck

DeAngelo too

I’d like him kept around as it’s hard to part company with a young D that’s as talented offensively as he is.

But he’s playing himself into a big raise and in spite of his offense, all around he’s still their 3rd best RH D.

Fox has been their best defenseman. Looks like an all-star one day.

Despite his struggles, Trouba is far better all around and much more complete than DeAngelo.

Given those 2 in front of him moving forward, are there enough minutes for him to be utilized effectively once Fox overtakes him in ice time?

And there’s other guys coming.

Every time Kreider does something great -- like score that goal the other night -- he gets some love, gets a boost in ratings and the "keep him" mantra ensues. Think about ALL of the other games where he's Casper Kreider and not Chris Kreider. I'm glad he's noticeably doing good things while other team scouts are watching.

Here here

We just so happen to find ourselves in the midst of the typical Chris Kreider Hot Streak as we approach the trade deadline while he’s in the last few months of his deal.

Every time Kreider does something great -- like score that goal the other night -- he gets some love, gets a boost in ratings and the "keep him" mantra ensues. Think about ALL of the other games where he's Casper Kreider and not Chris Kreider. I'm glad he's noticeably doing good things while other team scouts are watching.

50pt player. Hard in the corners. A bull in front of the net. Big. Strong. etc.

Does he go through periods where he doesn't score? Yes. All players do, besides Panarin. But don't confuse that with "being invisible." It's rare that he's not involved in the game.

I've said all along that the Rangers should keep him. There's a reason EVERY team in the league would like to have Chris Kreider.

• Like 1