• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn... I don't like it. Team's gonna get worse. And be on worse footing to begin next season, making the Panarin and Trouba signing a little puzzling.

Not a fan.

...also not a fan of getting involved with "the big dogs." I don't want the 31st overall pick.

I'll take #31 and Klim Kostin all day

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Damn... I don't like it. Team's gonna get worse. And be on worse footing to begin next season, making the Panarin and Trouba signing a little puzzling.

Not a fan.

...also not a fan of getting involved with "the big dogs." I don't want the 31st overall pick.

You’d rather lose him for nothing or give him a 7 year deal when he’s likely only going to be worth what they’ll pay him for 3-4 years?

I like Kostin but I'm not looking to parlay Kreider in to two 3rd liners.

I’d much rather have a change of scenery guy with top 6 potential, as the Rangers have targeted. Brassard, Strome, Zibanejad, or a physical player like Lemieux.

You’d rather lose him for nothing or give him a 7 year deal when he’s likely only going to be worth what they’ll pay him for 3-4 years?

Yes.

Are we going to do this song and dance every season now? We'll never get good enough to actually start winning games if that's the case. Are we trading Mika in two seasons because he won't be worth his contract in 2027? 4 years from now will have a drastically different cap landscape. I can't worry about 5 years from now when the next 3-4 matter.

Do you know how old you'll be when Kreider's contract likely isn't worth the price? At what point do we stop and say, okay, I'd like to watch good hockey now, thanks.

Yes.

Are we going to do this song and dance every season now? We'll never get good enough to actually start winning games if that's the case. Are we trading Mika in two seasons because he won't be worth his contract in 2027? 4 years from now will have a drastically different cap landscape. I can't worry about 5 years from now when the next 3-4 matter.

Do you know how old you'll be when Kreider's contract likely isn't worth the price? At what point do we stop and say, okay, I'd like to watch good hockey now, thanks.

Kreider's not worth $7 today. Why would we pay him that?

He's probably one of the most overrated Rangers of the decade.

I wouldn't give him a penny more than $5M. He only plays half the season anyway, thru injury or ineffectiveness.

I wouldn't give him a penny more than $5M. He only plays half the season anyway, thru injury or ineffectiveness.

While I agree, I wonder just how true that really is. Kreider's at his best as a net-front presence. He's exceptionally good at garbage goals, tip in goals, deflections, etc - the best in the league, if you believe the stats. To maximize a guy like that, you get him on the PP, put pucks on net and let him do the dirty work. We're not good at putting pucks on net - we're actually one of the worst. In spite of that...there he is, right at the top of the list for what he's good for. What's also interesting about that kind of player...they tend to adapt as they age. These guys can generally play til their mid 30s - so even if Kreider loses a step or two, he's going to generate goals in other ways.

Thinking about him on a team that really knows how to press the play, really knows how to create lanes and get pucks to the sweet spots, generate rebounds, etc? I wouldn't be shocked if he suddenly "figured it out" from a stats perspective.

Give him the Dustin Brown special. 5.3M, 8 years, the C, and the handshake deal for his inevitable transition to the front office. If he doesn't want 43 million dollars and a seat at the table in the second half of the deal, then it's time to look elsewhere.

While I agree, I wonder just how true that really is. Kreider's at his best as a net-front presence. He's exceptionally good at garbage goals, tip in goals, deflections, etc - the best in the league, if you believe the stats. To maximize a guy like that, you get him on the PP, put pucks on net and let him do the dirty work. We're not good at putting pucks on net - we're actually one of the worst. In spite of that...there he is, right at the top of the list for what he's good for. What's also interesting about that kind of player...they tend to adapt as they age. These guys can generally play til their mid 30s - so even if Kreider loses a step or two, he's going to generate goals in other ways.

Thinking about him on a team that really knows how to press the play, really knows how to create lanes and get pucks to the sweet spots, generate rebounds, etc? I wouldn't be shocked if he suddenly "figured it out" from a stats perspective.

Give him the Dustin Brown special. 5.3M, 8 years, the C, and the handshake deal for his inevitable transition to the front office. If he doesn't want 43 million dollars and a seat at the table in the second half of the deal, then it's time to look elsewhere.

The first three years of the Dustin Brown special he score 27, 28, 36 points and lost the C. Now that team is worse than the Rangers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The first three years of the Dustin Brown special he score 27, 28, 36 points and lost the C. Now that team is worse than the Rangers.

Yup. That's true. He also scored 50+ twice.

I actually thought brown made closer to 5 than 6, but I suppose that's off.

Regardless. 8 years,.5.3, handshake transition

Yup. That's true. He also scored 50+ twice.

I actually thought brown made closer to 5 than 6, but I suppose that's off.

Regardless. 8 years,.5.3, handshake transition

That was signed 5-6 years ago. No way kreider takes 5.3, even for 8 years. He could probably get 7x7 as FA, maybe even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The issue I have with Kreider is consistency. We see flashes of potential when he DOES play like a power forward and is a net front presence. Then there are stretches of games where he floats around the perimeter.

Long-term deals are great for motivated players that you trust will continue to put in the work and play hard in the way that earned the contract. I don't see that drive to perform on a nightly basis from Kreider.

That was signed 5-6 years ago. No way kreider takes 5.3, even for 8 years. He could probably get 7x7 as FA, maybe even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I hear you, and it can be hard to remember this, but there's a good deal of humanity in these sorts of negotiations too.

If he wants to stay, we need something like that. And that may be fine for him - what individual players value can vary from place to place. Some just want the money. He may want stability. He may want a path to his next job. He may just feel loyalty to the club. He might want to stay here and see where this goes. We don't know. It doesn't sound like the camps are talking much.

There's a lot of "what he wants" besides money involved. If money was the sole determinant, Panarin is playing for Columbus right now, Trouba's a UFA at the end of the year, Backstrom doesn't re-sign with the Caps, Bergeron's elsewhere, etc.

Panarin and Kreider are the only top six wingers. Nobody on this current team and Hartford can fill that gaping hole that would be left on and off the ice. If the Rangers could move Buch with no cap in return, that would free up the funds for Kreiders contract, hypothetically. And imo getting rid of Buch is an addition by subtraction like Vesey. They have plenty of pylons to put in Buchs spot but zero for Kreider.

#moveCaptHappy