• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said an educated opinion, you know, one backed with examples or some evidence which you were not providing. You just were saying common sense. It’s a pretty common term to say educated opinion. Never said min is more educated than yours. You’re just bringing up our announcer, or saying we beat the Islanders? I’m not sure how that means anything. Btw, all in good fun but if it happens I’d prefer u buy me a donut. Just hush with the cop talk :)

Two years after the Blackhawks drafted Kane and Toews they went to the semi finals with an average age of 25.9 while the league average was 27.9. They won the cup the following year. Kane and Toews were only 21.

The Rangers current average age is 26.4 while the league average is 27.8. Now none of our prospects yet are Kane or Toews but Ziby and Panarin certainly are on the level of those two. You can make a case goaltending we are set up a lot better than Chicago was too. The part that’s sort of missing are our , Sharp, Hossa and Keith. You hope Trouba within 2 years elevates his game. Sharp is tougher but Chytil looks like he is taking steps to be a difference maker eventually and he was a kid 60s point player the first year they won. That leaves Hossa. Tough to duplicate but you hope Kakko is the real deal and becomes sort of our version. Regardless, the point is that a young team is very capable of winning. Not everyone is going to say 6+ seasons under their belt.

Hell the year the Kings beat the devils they’re average age was 26.7. To be honest, while I like our coach mostly, I wish we had a Quenneville instead but that’s for another conversation.

all good but you're forgetting Chicago's and LA's defense. Chicago had Byf, Campbell, Seabrook, Keith. LA forward that year were stacked. I think we've got ways to go

That's not how I understood what he was saying. More like the Lightning have an extra first, which means they're more likely to be willing to deal one + roster player.

I said yesterday or the day before that I think the Hayes for Lemieux + 1st is probably exactly the model they're after. I just don't want to deal with Tampa. It's probably Gourde + 1st from them.

That makes more sense. Rangers could sweeten the pot to get both though. Kreider/Fast.

all good but you're forgetting Chicago's and LA's defense. Chicago had Byf, Campbell, Seabrook, Keith. LA forward that year were stacked. I think we've got ways to go

It’s not that I’m forgetting them but talent/prospect/future wise, defense we are looking very good. I don’t think with Fox, ADA, Lindgren, K’Andre, Trouba, we will be hindered there except maybe cap concerns. Staal, Smith, and possibly Skjei aren’t long for this team. And goalie wise, we are well ahead even today to me.

Or maybe this is the year they try to trade up and use that stuff as part of a package.

Could be. There are a lot of directions that can be taken both at the deadline and in the summer, and I think a good argument could be made for each one. This will be a far more interesting, and telling, deadline than last year when we pretty much knew for sure what was going to happen and who was ultimately getting traded.

Could be. There are a lot of directions that can be taken and I think a good argument could be made for each one. This will be a far more interesting, and telling, deadline than last year when we pretty much knew for sure what was going to happen and who was ultimately getting traded.

BTW, I’m not saying they can trade up super high. I don’t think whoever winds up with any of those picks actually would come off of them.

But maybe they like a guy that falls and trade up or maybe they can get into top-10

Who knows

Totally speculative

Its tough to say no to two firsts for him. With that said, I still stand by that trading him now sends the wrong message to the team. we're really right there for a playoff spot. 6 points back with 2 games in hand and we've been winning lately, with 7 of the next 8 games at home (the only road game is against detroit)

Maybe if we're getting a Kreider like player in a Georgiev deal I can see it making more sense. Still, its tough to look at this team, and the way we've played and think we should pack it in. It's not like our prospect depth is barren, and the picks will take years to develop while we already have a good young core here.

It's a tough decision, that's for sure

Its tough to say no to two firsts for him. With that said, I still stand by that trading him now sends the wrong message to the team. we're really right there for a playoff spot. 6 points back with 2 games in hand and we've been winning lately, with 7 of the next 8 games at home (the only road game is against detroit)

Maybe if we're getting a Kreider like player in a Georgiev deal I can see it making more sense. Still, its tough to look at this team, and the way we've played and think we should pack it in. It's not like our prospect depth is barren, and the picks will take years to develop while we already have a good young core here.

It's a tough decision, that's for sure

It’s just the money and term.

This is coming down to dollars and sense.

The 6-7 million range is fair

5 years is doable

Any more than that is not.

30-35 million till 2025 and age 34 is not a bad investment

More than that is.

These guys (Chytil clone / Miller clone) are 5 years away. You're just pissing Panarin away if you're not serious about winning starting next year.

Two or three, but I agree in principle.

I'm still on the fence about dealing Kreider. It depends entirely on both his ask (we've been over this) as well as what the return is. Not that this is on the table or even plausible, but if you can move him for a guy who's already under contract but is maybe a bit less effective/smaller (Zucker, Kase, Tuch), I'd be less wary. But as it stands, they'll likely lose the deal by the simple fact of giving up the best player in the deal.

my thought with that wasn't even about the new deal. but for this year, if the staff has any confidence in this squad you may have to keep him. obviously it'll be tough to sign him, but trading an impending UFA on a team that's making a run at the playoffs and thinks they are good enough is tough.

Are people really thinking this? This team is not close to good enough and Kreider will be too expensive to re-sign. So its either keeping him as a "rental" or trading him.

Are people really thinking this? This team is not close to good enough and Kreider will be too expensive to re-sign. So its either keeping him as a "rental" or trading him.

There is no way they keep him as a rental. This should be about keeping him long term versus trading him. Between now and the deadline I expect to either be reading about an extension that he signed or reading about a trade.

They could always just trade him in the next 6 weeks and then give his agent a call in the summer and try again.

He’s almost certainly going to market.

While it’s unlikely he’d sign as a UFA if they traded him, he has strong ties and a long term relationship.

They can always inquire

Two???

Shit! I'm on board for that!!! It's from 2 different teams too??? Vancouver's and TB's???

Where do I sign!

It would be hilarious for the Rangers to get the Vancouver 1st rd pick they traded to TB for JT Miller.

we're only 3 games back and have 2 gamnes in hand on the last playoff spot. am i saying for sure this is a playoff team, no. But you cant exactly say we aren't either. But whether we make it or not isn't eactly the point i making. It's the idea that the rest of the squad has the belief that they can. trading Kreider now is akin to saying to the rest of the squad that management doesn't think they are quite good enough, when they are playing with the belief that they are. you really want to give the young players an opportunity to grow, let them prove they can play hard in big games that matter, not like the ones theyve been playing in the last couple of seasons

we're only 3 games back and have 2 gamnes in hand on the last playoff spot. am i saying for sure this is a playoff team, no. But you cant exactly say we aren't either. But whether we make it or not isn't eactly the point i making. It's the idea that the rest of the squad has the belief that they can. trading Kreider now is akin to saying to the rest of the squad that management doesn't think they are quite good enough, when they are playing with the belief that they are. you really want to give the young players an opportunity to grow, let them prove they can play hard in big games that matter, not like the ones theyve been playing in the last couple of seasons

All true.

But still last in the league in both puck possession stats (Corsi and Fenwick), tons of shots allowed, tons of high danger chances allowed (3rd worst), and that’s just the numbers.

Eye test and looking at the roster, there’s lots of flaws.

Still look bad defensively. Team wide. Their still figuring out this system.

All the production is top 2 lines.

3rd line is kids who are still learning and struggling.

4th line is awful.

PK is bottom third of league.

Their top pair, that’s playing the most minutes and being utilized in a shut down role, isn’t consistently shutting anyone down. They’ve been improving, but have miles to go. They miss assignments and turn the puck over a lot.

Staal is a shell. ADA is a still bad defensively.

Fox has looked great, but still learning.

Hajek and Lindgren still learning too.

Smith is a spare part.

And they have 3 goalies they’re trying to play

Still a reach to see playoffs for them.

Flames and Oilers both looking to add top 6 winger.

Would he go to Canada though, even if it’s just for a few months?

Supposedly all Canadian teams are on his no trade list.

I’d go to Edmonton for a few months if I were him just to play with McJesus. It certainly wouldn’t hurt his numbers in a contract year.

Flames and Oilers both looking to add top 6 winger.

almost every playoff team would go after Kreider. Just as many in on Strome. A bunch after DeAngelo. Fast for any team looking for depth. And if they were willing to move Lemieux... And then there's Georgiev.

Rangers have better trade pieces this season than Hayes and Zuccarello