• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

I don't know about baseless. Truly - have we EVER seen this version of Kreider? Kreider's knock forever has been his consistency. He'd flip-flop from unstoppable to invisible every 7 games.

The Kreider we're talking about is....not that. He's not gone more than a game without a point since Dec 8 against Vegas. He's got 30 points in his last 28 games. He's making shit happen. He's actually looking like the player we could swear up and down we were getting when we picked him.

We've seen hot streaks. We've not seen consistent heat from him, ever. This is new, and combined with our sudden ascent in the standings, I think it does complicate the decision - partly because he looks like a guy you want around (finding consistency, beloved in the clubhouse, big leader, etc), but also because when you're on fire like he is, the offers increase.

I get your point and while I do agree this may not be the typical Kreider hot streak, keep in mind in the first 28 games (which is a third of the season) he had a whopping 6 goals and 13 total points. That’s an 18 goal, 40 point pace for a full season.

If he keeps this up, maybe he has taken the step we’ve all been waiting for.

But if not, then maybe it’s same old Kreider

Just have to wait and see.

But I agree that right now he’s probably playing the best hockey of his career

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about baseless. Truly - have we EVER seen this version of Kreider? Kreider's knock forever has been his consistency. He'd flip-flop from unstoppable to invisible every 7 games.

The Kreider we're talking about is....not that. He's not gone more than a game without a point since Dec 8 against Vegas. He's got 30 points in his last 28 games. He's making shit happen. He's actually looking like the player we could swear up and down we were getting when we picked him.

We've seen hot streaks. We've not seen consistent heat from him, ever. This is new, and combined with our sudden ascent in the standings, I think it does complicate the decision - partly because he looks like a guy you want around (finding consistency, beloved in the clubhouse, big leader, etc), but also because when you're on fire like he is, the offers increase.

This is the key. His streaks have almost always been of the shorter variety. Nothing extended. Even when looking at larger sample sizes like last season when he had 31 points in 38 games during the first half of the year. A quick look through the game logs will show some really nice 3 or 4 game stretches followed by 2 or 3 games of nothing. Never consistently game to game like he's been doing for over 2 months now.

And possibly even more important is I think a good number of his goals this year are not from his speed making it happen, which is one of the traits that will start to deteriorate as he approaches his mid 30s. He is getting and causing unassisted, screened goals just by being around the net or putting himself in a position to shoot. I have long been concerned about what would happen to him when he starts to lose a step, and I was dead set on not having him here past this year. Now he's got me really thinking about moving other money around and signing him again in the summer. At this minute, I think you still have to trade him and reap the benefits now though.

Yes and this is all happening at 29, where we know most forwards peak, and I'm not interested in paying long term for a historically inconsistent player who's having a career year at 29 years old.

It's like we've seen a hundred versions of a movie where our favorite character dies, but we're willing to see it again because it's the Brad Pitt remake hoping this time it will be different...but he still dies at the end....

I thought he was 28

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The fact that he's still here and nothing is being leaked about an extension or any trade possibilities makes me think they are closing in on an extension which would HAVE TO make sense for the team. Only thing that makes sense is a team friendly deal.

The first 10 minutes of the NBC pregame was talk about trading him, especially to the Bruins. Do you not have Twitter? He?s linked to numerous teams.

The fact that he's still here and nothing is being leaked about an extension or any trade possibilities makes me think they are closing in on an extension which would HAVE TO make sense for the team. Only thing that makes sense is a team friendly deal.

If there’s no news beyond “we are talking” then in all likelihood they aren’t having substantive discussions, and that’s likely due to them either being far apart, or Kreider just not really wanting the extension but to go to market.

So i can say he was 27 when he did all this years production

No, I admitted I did his math wrong.

I also said it doesn't make a lick of difference to:

1. Best production in a contract year.

2. Likely to decline moving forward.

3. His "consistency" to this point in his career is an anomaly and I'm not interested in paying for his best season.

No, I admitted I did his math wrong.

I also said it doesn't make a lick of difference to:

1. Best production in a contract year.

2. Likely to decline moving forward.

3. His "consistency" to this point in his career is an anomaly and I'm not interested in paying for his best season.

Your totally no fun if you admit you did the math wrong.

I want his ass moved also

They have acquired winger Tyler Toffoli from Los Angeles in exchange for winger Tim Schaller, prospect Tyler Madden, a 2020 second-round pick, and a 2022 fourth-round pick that is contingent on Toffoli re-signing with Vancouver. Both teams have confirmed the trade.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That’s essentially an undersized, B- prospect and a 2nd for Toffoli. The journeyman forward and conditional pick are just a throw in.

Not a great return.

Toffoli has had a nice bounce back year, on pace for 25 goals and 45-50 points on a shitty Kings team. He’s a former 30-goal scorer and a Cup winner.

Maybe LA really likes Madden?

He’s very skilled but smallish. Like under 160lbs.

Having a big year at Northeastern though.

That’s essentially an undersized, B- prospect and a 2nd for Toffoli. The journeyman forward and conditional pick are just a throw in.

Not a great return.

Toffoli has had a nice bounce back year, on pace for 25 goals and 45-50 points on a shitty Kings team. He’s a former 30-goal scorer and a Cup winner.

Maybe LA really likes Madden?

He’s very skilled but smallish. Like under 160lbs.

Having a big year at Northeastern though.

The Athletic crew with Pronman really rate Madden and call this a very good return for Toffoli.

Tyler Madden, C, Los Angeles (traded from Canucks on Feb. 17)

Madden was No. 40 on my midseason prospect ranking, which would make him Los Angeles’ No. 5 ranked prospect right now, albeit in a very deep pool at the top. Madden is a player with elite skill. His 1-on-1 ability is among the very best drafted prospects outside the NHL. And he is a very smart two-way center. He makes a lot of high-end plays and is a solid defensive center because of how smart he is and his quality on-ice work ethic. He does everything for Northeastern, a top 10 team, regularly logging massive minutes this season. He has all the hockey abilities, but he’s a slight player with average feet. Even with his physical limitations, I think he will become a good NHL player once he eventually fills out with the potential to be a No. 2 center in the NHL. Madden was injured in a recent game, but it’s not believed to be a serious long-term injury.

https://theathletic.com/1598490/2020/02/17/pronmans-trade-deadline-prospect-watch/

For the Kings, it was quite a haul. They were already crowned (sorry) by Scott Wheeler as the No. 1 organization in his pipeline rankings recently and now add Madden, who has the chance to be a second-line center in the NHL. Plus the second-round pick. Really good work here by Kings GM Blake. No doubt he’s getting tired of these sell-off deadlines, but he’s building a promising pipeline and that’s what he should be doing.

https://theathletic.com/1615796/2020/02/17/roundtable-reaction-canucks-take-a-stand-with-tyler-toffoli-trade-and-they-might-not-be-done/

I think this deal is a positive in terms of getting a feel for Kreiders value.

The Athletic crew with Pronman really rate Madden and call this a very good return for Toffoli.

https://theathletic.com/1598490/2020/02/17/pronmans-trade-deadline-prospect-watch/

https://theathletic.com/1615796/2020/02/17/roundtable-reaction-canucks-take-a-stand-with-tyler-toffoli-trade-and-they-might-not-be-done/

I think this deal is a positive in terms of getting a feel for Kreiders value.

Fair enough.

Admittedly I don’t know much about him. Just that he’s very slight of build, and that he was a 3rd round pick, which is essentially a crap shoot.

Does seem skilled with high upside though