• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in the summer we could get Anaheim or another dumpster team to take on Smith's full hit by attaching a couple of picks. Say 2020 Dal 3rd and 2021 Buff 3rd.

I don't think Staal would waive NMC.

Def. agree w/Smith - those extra 3rds could come in handy there.

Smith also has a nice little quirk where he's paid 2m less than his cap hit after July 1.

I honest to god think that Smith at 50% and a 3rd is tradeable. As is Staal at 50% and a 3rd

No chance.

Players would rather take the buy out.

Teams would rather sign the players after being bought out.

That extra year being the issue

I wonder if Gorton has/will give CK a deadline? I mean I would think if they cant come to an agreement by tonight then Gorton would need to shift focus to trades

The deadline is the deadline. GM’s will take all the way till 3PM if it means a better return. As long as the paperwork goes in by then, deal is good.

Best offer to Kreider at this point has been made. If they have a deal they’re taking, maybe they ask his agent once more when they call him to let him know a deal has been agreed to and about to be executed.

As for focusing on trades, he’s been fielding calls and negotiating offers on Kreider for a quite a while. There’s probably already an offer in place he likes the best. There’s likely several to pick from.

He’ll use tomorrow to leverage a little more, using any other teams aside from the front runners to squeeze as much as he can.

all longer term contracts have a significant risk on the backside (cough Hank), Trouba and Bread are two we can look forward to already. Bread won't be walking on water like he does most nights now and Trouba's deal was an overpayment day one. Live and die by the sword.

Sure, like I said, they can't overpay this useful piece because of their past mistakes. They don't have any bullets left.

Buying out Girardi to hand Smith his money, Smith essentially wasn't even a NHL'er by the time the ink dried. Girardi was fine. lol.

Trading Miller/McD to get nothing in return and handing a large portion of that money to Namestnikov and Spooner. Haha

Signing Shattenkirk 6 months before a full blown tear down and then subsequently buying him out. lmao.

Trading two big assets for a RFA Trouba and then overpaying him as fast as possibly could for no reason. lololol.

So yeah, trading Kreider under these circumstances is absolutely the right call, but it's how they got to this point that frustrates me.

• Like 1

Sure, like I said, they can't overpay this useful piece because of their past mistakes. They don't have any bullets left.

Buying out Girardi to hand Smith his money, Smith essentially wasn't even a NHL'er by the time the ink dried. Girardi was fine. lol.

Trading Miller/McD to get nothing in return and handing a large portion of that money to Namestnikov and Spooner. Haha

Signing Shattenkirk 6 months before a full blown tear down and then subsequently buying him out. lmao.

Trading two big assets for a RFA Trouba and then overpaying him as fast as possibly could for no reason. lololol.

So yeah, trading Kreider under these circumstances is absolutely the right call, but it's how they got to this point that frustrates me.

So Howden, Hajek, Names, a 1st and a 2nd is nothing.

But Pionk and a 1st are "two big assets"? lol

It's obviously the only think they can do. They can't pay market value for him. They've fucked too much up in their rear view and we'll jettison another important/useful piece and likely maintain the flotsam, as has been the MO of Gorton.

They shouldn’t pay him till he’s 34/35 anyway.

That’s been their issue far too many times in the past when they’ve handed out big dollars on long-term deals to guys. Especially guys who aren’t elite and approaching or past their 30th birthday

Holik

Drury

Gomez

Redden

Richards

Staal

Girardi

Fleury

Kreider is in that same group. Good player. But not elite.

I’ll be sad to see him go and you’re likely right that nothing in the return for him will turn out to be as good as him.

But they can’t pay him what he wants.

Signing Staal, Girardi, Lundqvist, Smith, etc. when they were "useful pieces" like Kreider, and we'd need them when we were ready to compete... is how they got here. Kreider is a useful piece, today. He probably is going to be a third liner when they're ready to compete.

The major issue with Kreider, is term. You simply can't pay players who aren't elite top dollar past the age of 32/33. It's bonkers to take the risk.