• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Pagnotta

@TheFourthPeriod

As the Rangers & Kreider continue to discuss a possible contract extension, it sounds like the Carolina Hurricanes have kicked the tires on Kreider, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They have bigger issues now with both goalies hurt, and Pesce got hurt possibly by a skate blade tonight.

Pro hockey rumors.com had this:

Speaking of contract extensions, the New York Rangers are also in discussions with their top trade target, Chris Kreider, about a contract extension. However, there are plenty of teams that have been discussed that might be willing to pay big to bring Kreider aboard for their playoff run, including the Colorado Avalanche and St. Louis Blues. The Fourth Period?s David Pagnotta reports that the Carolina Hurricanes have also expressed interest in adding Kreider. The Hurricanes, who are still battling to even get into the playoffs (they are one point out of a playoff spot at the moment), do have one of the best prospect systems in the league and have the picks and prospects to make an enticing offer if they want.

No no no.

List the things Kreider does. You should have players that can fill certain roles. And you become cognizant of the others while drafting and trading.

Gauthier has size and speed.

Strome has leadership.

Howden/Lemieux/Chytil in front on PP?

You’ll never find a replacement, but look for guys that have one of those specific skills, or possibly superior skill in one or more departments.

You never try to replace a player. You replace their role(s).

Yup

Can’t look to replace the player one for one.

Hard to do

You worry about the numbers he produces and the role he plays.

Saturday Headlines on HNIC.

Elliotte Friedman thinks that even though the Rangers are in the playoff hunt, if they don't think they can sign him that he will be traded. Islanders are in for Kreider.

David Pagnotta

@TheFourthPeriod

As the Rangers & Kreider continue to discuss a possible contract extension, it sounds like the Carolina Hurricanes have kicked the tires on Kreider, as well.

Pro hockey rumors.com had this:

Speaking of contract extensions, the New York Rangers are also in discussions with their top trade target, Chris Kreider, about a contract extension. However, there are plenty of teams that have been discussed that might be willing to pay big to bring Kreider aboard for their playoff run, including the Colorado Avalanche and St. Louis Blues. The Fourth Period’s David Pagnotta reports that the Carolina Hurricanes have also expressed interest in adding Kreider. The Hurricanes, who are still battling to even get into the playoffs (they are one point out of a playoff spot at the moment), do have one of the best prospect systems in the league and have the picks and prospects to make an enticing offer if they want.

Let’s assume they have a deal/offer that they like. Cause they probably do at this point.

If they really are serious about keeping him, no more negotiating. It’s 11th hour.

Gorton just needs to put his best offer in front of Kreider’s agent, say here’s the best we are willing to do. You gotta take it or leave it at this point. If the answers is no, here’s where you’re going. Best of luck. We’ll be here in July if you want to talk.

And Gorton should do that tomorrow morning.

Adam Herman of the blueshirtsbanter

Adam Herman

@AdamZHerman

?

26m

Elliotte Fredman confirms on Sportsnet that the recent NYR run is not probably not making a difference in whether Kreider stays or goes. The only real consideration will be whether a contract can be agreed to.

Joe Fortunato Retweeted

Adam Herman

@AdamZHerman

Also, Chris Johnston independently reported that Colorado is likely moving center Tyson Jost one way or another. Makes sense to speculate about him as an inclusion in a potential Kreider trade, though. The Rangers certainly could use a young shutdown center.

Let’s assume they have a deal/offer that they like. Cause they probably do at this point.

If they really are serious about keeping him, no more negotiating. It’s 11th hour.

Gorton just needs to put his best offer in front of Kreider’s agent, say here’s the best we are willing to do. You gotta take it or leave it at this point. If the answers is no, here’s where you’re going. Best of luck. We’ll be here in July if you want to talk.

And Gorton should do that tomorrow morning.

I don't see the harm in waiting until Monday at this point. Rangers don't play until Tuesday. Kreider's the best player on the block. Very little risk that every team interested drops out on acquiring him. Seems more likely one of them ups their offer.

No no no.

List the things Kreider does. You should have players that can fill certain roles. And you become cognizant of the others while drafting and trading.

Gauthier has size and speed.

Strome has leadership.

Howden/Lemieux/Chytil in front on PP?

You’ll never find a replacement, but look for guys that have one of those specific skills, or possibly superior skill in one or more departments.

You never try to replace a player. You replace their role(s).

I get what you're saying. Just don't agree that it equals out. That guy does all of that in one shift onna line with Zib and Buch (that's the line most of the time). Shifting guys in and out in different situations isn't something that is going to work.

2 minutes left in the game... Who are you putting in that spot, to not only get in the zone and set up with speed, but also have that game breaking speed to come in on his own? A guy that takes control. Has the experience?

It's a flawed game plan. It's never worked for anyone. Who has used such a suggestion and had it work? It's usually what rebuilding teams do, and they remain rebuilding until they replace such a player with top tier talent.

Everyone thought they could supplement Jagrs points by adding a bunch of lower A tier overpaid guys like Drury and Gomez, by filling the holes with the garbage they filled those rosters with.

If there is a young serious top 6 potential forward coming back, I'd be fine with flat out just changing the dynamic that makes that line work by making it all skill that attacks the net and drives to the net. They have to get dirty, yet add another set off skills in their game. Can't be one dimensional.

Kreiders roles separated into different players, IMO is roster clogging and stepping down the talent level. It's kinda been what the Rangers have been since they dealt Gaborik A bunch of guys that can't elevate their game, much less help a line doing ONE aspect of hockey at a respectable level. Never having enough next level talent, because...well you can't get rid of the guy who won the players player award or the Steven McDonald award...

I don't see the harm in waiting until Monday at this point. Rangers don't play until Tuesday. Kreider's the best player on the block. Very little risk that every team interested drops out on acquiring him. Seems more likely one of them ups their offer.

They can wait till Monday

I’m saying give him your best offer tomorrow and he gets a day to think it over.

Orrr, they (other team) get a better deal by extending it ala how Toronto got out of the Georgiev discussions. The Rangers overplayed that hand. There's likely other avenues teams can take that make more sense for them. I hope they don't blow the opportunity to get mega value for him if they have no intention on extending him.

On another note who are these guys reporting? The fourth period is still around? They all of a sudden legit?

Orrr, they (other team) get a better deal by extending it ala how Toronto got out of the Georgiev discussions. The Rangers overplayed that hand. There's likely other avenues teams can take that make more sense for them. I hope they don't blow the opportunity to get mega value for him if they have no intention on extending him.

On another note who are these guys reporting? The fourth period is still around? They all of a sudden legit?

Not sure we can assume they overplayed their hand with Georgiev. I'm not entirely convinced they actually wanted to or want to deal him. With the way they are brushing Hank aside, it seems their angle is to move on from him instead, one way or another.

Also, Toronto was the only team that was really rumored after Georgiev. There's been like 7 or 8 teams mentioned around Kreider. If one or two walk away because they don't want to wait until Monday does it really matter? It's going to narrow down to 2 or 3 teams anyway.

Not sure we can assume they overplayed their hand with Georgiev. I'm not entirely convinced they actually wanted to or want to deal him. With the way they are brushing Hank aside, it seems their angle is to move on from him instead, one way or another.

Also, Toronto was the only team that was really rumored after Georgiev. There's been like 7 or 8 teams mentioned around Kreider. If one or two walk away because they don't want to wait until Monday does it really matter? It's going to narrow down to 2 or 3 teams anyway.

I recall Edmonton, Chicago, Carolina, Phoenix, and Colorado also being cited as possibly having interest, as each team needed goalie support at the time it was being discussed. Toronto being the team everyone thought needed a goalie the most, or at least they had what many thought would be an easy steal of a roster player...

I'd say those teams could still use a goalie. I'm hoping for a 2nd or 3rd rounder as return.

Hoping Colorado wants Lundqvist, so the guy can have a shot at starting on a good team. No chance he gets that gig here. It would really help both parties involved (Lundqvist and the Rangers).

I recall Edmonton, Chicago, Carolina, Phoenix, and Colorado also being cited as possibly having interest, as each team needed goalie support at the time it was being discussed. Toronto being the team everyone thought needed a goalie the most, or at least they had what many thought would be an easy steal of a roster player...

I'd say those teams could still use a goalie. I'm hoping for a 2nd or 3rd rounder as return.

Hoping Colorado wants Lundqvist, so the guy can have a shot at starting on a good team. No chance he gets that gig here. It would really help both parties involved (Lundqvist and the Rangers).

I do too but I doubt they do it this year. Unless this is so tighlipped that nothing gets out. Seems unlikely.

This feels like one of the biggest decisions that the Rangers have faced in some time. I want him back but it has to be the right contract. This Hank contract has us handcuffed and if you sign Kreids to the wrong deal, we'll be saying the same thing in 2026. It's going to be a tense next 24 hours I'd imagine for Kreider.
  • Like 1

This feels like one of the biggest decisions that the Rangers have faced in some time. I want him back but it has to be the right contract. This Hank contract has us handcuffed and if you sign Kreids to the wrong deal, we'll be saying the same thing in 2026. It's going to be a tense next 24 hours I'd imagine for Kreider.

From everything I've read, they want to keep him. I just hope Kreider can lower that asking price some so we can make it work.

IMO I think signing Shattenkirk then the buyout has handcuffed more than Lundqvist contract. Rangers have $7 million in dead cap space for next season, thats Kreiders contract right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

IMO I think signing Shattenkirk then the buyout has handcuffed more than Lundqvist contract. Rangers have $7 million in dead cap space for next season, thats Kreiders contract right there.

Yeah... that was a bad signing which several people on here predicted it would be.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The buyout of Shatty is far worse than the actual contract he was signed to.

I’m really torn on this one now. I know keeping Kreider without a contract is ridiculous, but part of me is in complete Kekkalainen mode and say fuck it, let’s just go for it and let the chips fall where they may.

Part of it is because I just don’t see the return coming that people are hoping for. I’m struggling to get excited about Kaut and COL’s first.

That's not true. If they wanted to sign Kreider for $7+ million they could make it fit. They don't want to be paying him $7+ million in his mid 30's. That's where the disconnect is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk