• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

All 3 of them are already on the team and ADA is producing at the pace he's at. He's outlr best offensive defenseman. It's honestly not even close in my mind. He's more dynamic. There's nothing wrong with having d with different roles. He's not even as bad defensively as he's made out to be. He won't en any Norris but he plays with Marc Staal and still manages right now to be a +

Is it that much of a stretch to say that Adam Fox, who is a rookie and on pace for 10 goals and 47 points in 18 minutes a night (less than what ADA plays) might wind up coming very close to or possibly matching the production that ADA gives you and does so while actually playing D, as he matures and improves over the next few seasons?

Fox could one day be in a Norris conversation and make ADA superfluous

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Fox is likely to be an excellent defenseman for many years, but it is unlikely that he will be a Norris contender. We are so overloaded with defensive prospects and comparatively short on prospects at forward that some sort of trade of a young defenseman -- it could be ADA and it could be one of the others -- would seem advisable. As for ADA, it's a little hard to get that set up of Chytl tonight out of my head at the moment, and he's had a lot of those.

You could argue that Staal defensive metrics are dragged by ADA.

Let's not conflate what he his... Completely one dimensions offensive D... That's fine but it alrers his tag.

We both know eye test says otherwise. One is a great skater with extremely above average offense and the other is, well, has great lineage? I’d like him here just as I liked when we had an offensive guy like Zubov doing his one dimensional thing along the way to success.

Is it that much of a stretch to say that Adam Fox, who is a rookie and on pace for 10 goals and 47 points in 18 minutes a night (less than what ADA plays) might wind up coming very close to or possibly matching the production that ADA gives you and does so while actually playing D, as he matures and improves over the next few seasons?

Fox could one day be in a Norris conversation and make ADA superfluous

But why would the presence of Fox make ADA superfluous? They go hand in hand. Fox sees less time against a checking pair because the opposition doesn’t know who to focus on. ADA the same. This is an awesome problem to have. One lesser but more complete player vs one less well rounded but close to elite on the offensive side of the puck. The year we last one many many eons ago was led by a defenseman not named Leetch in scoring who was also considered not good at all defensively. I’d like that to happen again. Everyone has a role.

But why would the presence of Fox make ADA superfluous? They go hand in hand. Fox sees less time against a checking pair because the opposition doesn’t know who to focus on. ADA the same. This is an awesome problem to have. One lesser but more complete player vs one less well rounded but close to elite on the offensive side of the puck. The year we last one many many eons ago was led by a defenseman not named Leetch in scoring who was also considered not good at all defensively. I’d like that to happen again. Everyone has a role.

Superfluous in the cap sense in that it’s hard to pay Trouba, Fox, and ADA, long-term.

If they can keep ADA cheap, fine

But I don’t think he’s coming cheap

You could argue that Staal defensive metrics are dragged by ADA.

Let's not conflate what he his... Completely one dimensions offensive D... That's fine but it alrers his tag.

and Yandle and Shatts where not good defensive players ,yet everyone wanted them here and because they where good offensive dman the rangers overpaid for them,we got one that is even better and we are complaining about keeping him,and nitpicking about his game which is way better thAn those two

and Yandle and Shatts where not good defensive players ,yet everyone wanted them here and because they where good offensive dman the rangers overpaid for them,we got one that is even better and we are complaining about keeping him,and nitpicking about his game which is way better thAn those two

Don't say everyone. I wanted no part of Shattenkirk.

I also am not at all ready to say ADA is better than Yandle.

That's the other thing... This is one good year and I wouldn't pay him based on it. They should learn the lesson from Trouba. I'd play the arbitration game until there's a more substantial body of work.

Kreider is playing how I would expect someone to play in a contract year. Do you pay him off of that or do you look at the overall body of work and think that it's not worth it? It's awfully nice of him to finally be consistent when the time is due for a big paycheck. Say they do sign him and next season he has a really good 25 games and then does a disappearing act until well after the All Star break? Then the same stuff is going to come up about his inconsistencies, etc.

Don't say everyone. I wanted no part of Shattenkirk.

I also am not at all ready to say ADA is better than Yandle.

That's the other thing... This is one good year and I wouldn't pay him based on it. They should learn the lesson from Trouba. I'd play the arbitration game until there's a more substantial body of work.

I agree the rangers got a other year to see if he repeats , and if he does ,it.could cost more

I'm good with the Arb game, too. The chance to get him real cheap has sailed and that's on Jeff Gorton.

I’d go with arbitration too.

You do wonder if AdA wouldn’t be a prime offer sheet candidate though. He’d probably end up in the 1st and 3rd pick compensation range, which is somewhat underwhelming.

Yeah, this is hard. We all like ADA - I don't think there's anyone here screaming that he has to go. It's just that the financial realities of the game are what they are.

We could be looking at an 85M cap next year and care just a smidge less. We could be looking at a world where ADA wants the 6y5m or whatever we gave Skjei and we're all cool with that.

We could also be looking at a world where ADA looks at Chabot and goes "I outscore that fucker, pay me like that". We just do not know.

At the end of the day, we've got a kid who really figured it out this year, and we're in a spot where we've got others at his position doing the same. Hard, but an enviable spot.

ADA"s skill was never in question. All we heard about during his time in Phoenix was mental issues. He seems to have figured it out and has had his head on straight basically all year. His offensive ability you just can't teach. Now that he's kind of figured things out, he's a constant threat.

I think the deal with ADA is that if he's staying here, he's most likely going to be a 3rd pair defenseman. The Rangers have committed to Trouba, and Skjei in a big way, and I like Trouba; He's a solid player, and I think Skjei is getting better. He's had his share of woes but he's going to get better with age and experience.

It also looks like Fox and Lindgren are going to be the real deal. Those guys play and feed off each other very well, and they seem to have that special chemistry that makes them work very well together. I don't think they should be broken up ever again. I think right now, they're a really good 2nd pairing.

The issue is basically cost with Tony D. He's having a super year this season, and he has valuable offensive talent, but my issue is that he's a one-dimensional player. He's rather small, and doesn't play well in front of his own net, not to mention his defensive ability lacking in many areas.

I just think the Rangers can fill more holes trading a guy like him, rather than keep adding to a position we have able players that can fill the need.

I think the deal with ADA is that if he's staying here, he's most likely going to be a 3rd pair defenseman. The Rangers have committed to Trouba, and Skjei in a big way, and I like Trouba; He's a solid player, and I think Skjei is getting better. He's had his share of woes but he's going to get better with age and experience.

It also looks like Fox and Lindgren are going to be the real deal. Those guys play and feed off each other very well, and they seem to have that special chemistry that makes them work very well together. I don't think they should be broken up ever again. I think right now, they're a really good 2nd pairing.

The issue is basically cost with Tony D. He's having a super year this season, and he has valuable offensive talent, but my issue is that he's a one-dimensional player. He's rather small, and doesn't play well in front of his own net, not to mention his defensive ability lacking in many areas.

I just think the Rangers can fill more holes trading a guy like him, rather than keep adding to a position we have able players that can fill the need.

But Fox and Lindgren are also small ,there no doubt Fox has offensive potential, but not at ADA !evel

But Fox and Lindgren are also small ,there no doubt Fox has offensive potential, but not at ADA !evel

I think Lindgren is 6', 205 lbs, Lefty....but I see a guy that plays bigger.

We'll see about Fox though; D'Angelo's stats didn't really impress me in his first 3 seasons. http://www.nhl.com/player/tony-deangelo-8477950

Fox is off to a great start, and plays the position pretty well. He's still a rookie and has his moments out there, kinda like the game against Dallas (ugh!), But I think those 2 together are going to be a big part of the future core of this team.

If we don’t keep ADA we will look back a few years in the future thinking it was one of our bigger mistakes in recent memory. Just my opinion.

I value your opinion Keirik, believe me man. We just differ on this one. One thing's for sure, if we do sign him, I'm behind him and the team 100%....if that's the direction Gorton and JD chooses.

It's kind of a win/win situation; If we do trade him, we should get some pretty good assets in return, and if we do sign him, we have a good Power play defenseman and another offensive threat on the back line. You know, if Staal's contract didn't run into next season, it may have made this decision on him a little easier.

The only thing I can see from the cap is if we were to trade Smiths 4.35 mil. along with a pick as a salary dump would someone like Detroit who?s got a lot of cap next year and rebuilding, do it? And would 4.35 mil added to the 16.5 mil we have be enough to get things done for us?

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think Lindgren is 6', 205 lbs, Lefty....but I see a guy that plays bigger.

We'll see about Fox though; D'Angelo's stats didn't really impress me in his first 3 seasons. http://www.nhl.com/player/tony-deangelo-8477950

Fox is off to a great start, and plays the position pretty well. He's still a rookie and has his moments out there, kinda like the game against Dallas (ugh!), But I think those 2 together are going to be a big part of the future core of this team.

ozzy not knocking he is.playing great for a rookie,Lindgren plays hard bigger than he actually is ,kind of like Callahan, but it well wear him down in the future