• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

Can't compare a guy like H.L. playing multiple entire games, with a player that plays 20 or so minutes a game.

You can in the sense that the out years of such a long term contract would probably be as much a death march as Lundqvist's has become.

Unfortunate that while Kreider will not give NYR a discount, had his contract expired after next season with a mess more of the dead wood coming of the NYR cap on 7/1/21, might have been some way to make a deal agreeable to both parties.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not for nothin' but with all these players that are on the block, If we need some replacements to finish the season, I'd like to see Vinny Lettieri get another shot. I've seen enough Smith, Haley, McKegg.

Lettieri will get called up. I wouldn't call it "another shot" though. He's an AHL hero, and that's pretty well established now.

Lettieri will get called up. I wouldn't call it "another shot" though. He's an AHL hero, and that's pretty well established now.

That seems harsh, based on two very short stints in the NHL.

I'm not saying he'll amount to anything. Chances are low. But I can't really say he's been given a fair shake either.

I'm just tired of having a guy like Brendan Smith playing wing, or Greg McKegg out there, 31. Haley at least is a tough guy who at least has a role....I can go along with that for now...but I'd like to see how this spunky "shoot first" kinda player would do again. I'm actually curious to see how he's progressed since he's been playing so much in the AHL.

I'll bet he's gotten better ;)

I'm just tired of having a guy like Brendan Smith playing wing, or Greg McKegg out there, 31. Haley at least is a tough guy who at least has a role....I can go along with that for now...but I'd like to see how this spunky "shoot first" kinda player would do again. I'm actually curious to see how he's progressed since he's been playing so much in the AHL.

I'll bet he's gotten better ;)

Get used to Brendan Smith on the wing. He'll be there for another year. There's nothing they can do with him.

Get used to Brendan Smith on the wing. He'll be there for another year. There's nothing they can do with him.

To be honest, he hasn't been that bad. A good team can hide 1 or 2 players that aren't that great. The problem is he's playing with 2 others who are even worse. McKegg and Haley need to be replaced. The Rangers can get by with Smith as a complementary 4th line player for better 4th line players.

To be honest, he hasn't been that bad. A good team can hide 1 or 2 players that aren't that great. The problem is he's playing with 2 others who are even worse. McKegg and Haley need to be replaced. The Rangers can get by with Smith as a complementary 4th line player for better 4th line players.

The 4th line never plays so I'm really not concerned with those player. Yes, they're garbage. But I'd rather have Panarin and Zib out there than the 4th line anyway.

But at 33, he hits UFA again and can get a potential 3-5 year deal again. I dont look at it as him leaving $$ on the table.

A 5 year deal puts him at 34 as a UFA in 2025, but otherwise, yeah. He's only leaving money on the table if he regresses or gets hurt before then. Regression is usually pretty likely though. Not everyone is Pavelski or Marleau and can maintain a high level of play to snag 3 year deals in their mid/late 30s.

A 5 year deal puts him at 34 as a UFA in 2025, but otherwise, yeah. He's only leaving money on the table if he regresses or gets hurt before then. Regression is usually pretty likely though. Not everyone is Pavelski or Marleau and can maintain a high level of play to snag 3 year deals in their mid/late 30s.

Right. Plus it's always a risk to leave it out there and hope things work out in 5 years vs. taking the guaranteed money. Again very easy for us to say otherwise.

Kreider is a freak of nature, physically. Probably a top 1% conditioned NHL athlete. His hands might leave him (LOL, I know), but I doubt his feet will, which mitigates the tail end of this hypothetical deal IMO.

Kreider is a freak of nature, physically. Probably a top 1% conditioned NHL athlete. His hands might leave him (LOL, I know), but I doubt his feet will, which mitigates the tail end of this hypothetical deal IMO.

Phil what were the odds he (and I agree always in amazing shape) was going to suffer a blood clot @27? Sh!t happens and nobody is excluded.

Panarin could suffer a blood clot. Shesterkin could. Anyone could. Literally anyone could have their careers ended tomorrow. "Shit happens," isn't a viable reason to not sign someone. You'd have no one under contract if it was.

Oh I know it, man! One more year before all the crap is cleared out!!

Cue Ozzy meltdown in 3, 2, 1...

I'm not even going to entertain that thought, Kev! :rofl: No way they sign this guy for another 5 years....I'm not feeling it. If I'm Kreider, I wouldn't take a team friendly deal either. This is most likely going to be his only chance to cash in. He's not going to get any faster and he hasn't been as hot in his whole career, as he is right now.

Even 6.5 million for Kreider is as Josh likes to put it: "Danger Zone". That's a future buyout if I ever saw one! ...and that's the last thing this team needs. ...a 4th line, former "power forward", making 6.5 or 7 million to put up 5 goals & 8 assists for the year, because "he can't skate like he used to".